Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leg Shaving

Options
  • 16-12-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Ladies,
    Apologies for posting here, but I'm a cyclist who's new to the whole world of leg shaving, and I could do with some tips if at all possible (I have sensitive skin and want to avoid ingrown hairs and all that sorta thing)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I too wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Another concern for the hairy man is, 'where to draw the line' as such. Or should there even be a line?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Verb wrote: »
    Another concern for the hairy man is, 'where to draw the line' as such. Or should there even be a line?
    Careful verb, if you watch this thread too closely it might turn you...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ladies,
    Apologies for posting here, but I'm a cyclist who's new to the whole world of leg shaving, and I could do with some tips if at all possible (I have sensitive skin and want to avoid ingrown hairs and all that sorta thing)

Thanks in advance :)

I'm a man, but I recommend the Philips Bodygroom. Gets the job done in no time.

You go the whole hog. The "hairy boxers" look is not a good one.

el tonto wrote: »
    You go the hole hog. The "hairy boxers" look is not a good one.

Exactly how many people get to see this look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Does Immac still exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Everyone has thier own way that works for them, personally I find after a good soak in the bath it's easer and prefer a good disposable razor with a moisture strip and a handle with a good grip on it. I would suggest shaving up your leg starting at the ankle and going against the grain. With being in a bubble bath I have ever bothered with shaving gel/cream/foam.

You may get ingrown hairs the first few time but it will pass, a teatree oil wash/scrub is good for if / when that happens.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lads, Tiny asked what appears to be a genuine question, so for the moment I'm happy enough to leave the thread alone. However he's not going to get much of an answer if you guys force me to close the thread.

unionman wrote: »
    Does Immac still exist?

It is called Veet now and not everyone likes using it or finds it effective and some people have too sensitive skin to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

el tonto wrote: »
    You go the hole hog. The "hairy boxers" look is not a good one.
    We saw the typo!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Do the Ladies of the Lounge even cycle?

Yeesh, shave against the grain? That's really uncomfortable when I do it on my face, results in a razor rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Zaph wrote: »
    Lads, Tiny asked what appears to be a genuine question, so for the moment I'm happy enough to leave the thread alone. However he's not going to get much of an answer if you guys force me to close the thread.

Cheers Zaph -I apologise for those guys... I want actual tips, which is why I didn't ask in the cycling forum (they can be terribly b*tchy there :))

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cheers Zaph -I apologise for those guys... I want actual tips, which is why I didn't ask in the cycling forum (they can be terribly b*tchy there :))

No apology necessary :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I used to use a razor and wouldn't be a fan of shaving against the grain. I got too many ingrown hairs. Its certainly the fastest way of doing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

unionman wrote: »
    Does Immac still exist?
    It's called Veet now ... they do men stuff too.

How do you do the back of the leg? Do you need a mirror or is it just by touch alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'll also ask about electric methods too... any good electric shavers, or is an epillator the only man (woman!) for the job? (Though epillators scare me!)

Raam wrote: »
    How do you do the back of the leg? Do you need a mirror or is it just by touch alone?

Well, it really depends on how flexible you are ... the higher you can lift your leg, the better... ( I am being very serious btw )

For softness, I use baby oil ...

Do the Ladies of the Lounge even cycle?

Yes but I have never worn the Lycra stuff and shaved my legs for it :P
    Yeesh, shave against the grain? That's really uncomfortable when I do it on my face, results in a razor rash.

The hair on your legs should not be as coarse as that on your face.
    Trying to shave down your legs esp the calf can be tricky and lead to putting too much pressure on the razor which can lead to cuts.

I'll also ask about electric methods too... any good electric shavers, or is an epillator the only man (woman!) for the job? (Though epillators scare me!)

A friend of mine who is a body builder regularly go to the beautician to get it waxed ... he is man... i think

• Advertisement

You can do it by touch or you will find that by turning your leg at the right angles you can easily shave both sides until they meet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

what caroline said, the higher you can lift your leg the better, although if you are in the bath, then you could rest your leg against the bath and then shave it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

cant post?

(Ahh, its working again...)

Hopefully I won't have to do it at any point, but what does it grow back like? I mean if you shave once are you stuck shaving forever or will it grow back like the nice soft fluff I have now (I don't have particularly hairy legs and I wouldn't like to ruin that just to "fit in" in a club).

Thankfully the boards cycles aren't that demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Just by touch.

I always shave against the grain; just start at the bottom and work your way up. Just don't go too fast around the ankles and knees unless you're prepared to blot up blood with a towel afterward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

And you accuse me of Trolling!

And you accuse me of Trolling!

This defo ain't trolling :)
    I've already taken a strip of skin off from not being careful :(

get yourself a Gillette Fusion Power, swear to god they're the best thing ever, never once cut my legs since I bought one.
    You can get ingrown hairs from shaving against the grain but it so so difficult to do it the other way, to avoid the ingrowing hairs exfoliate as it's growing back.

I would recommend waxing, even though you're a boy!! it'll be sore the first time cos you're particularly hairy but after that it's a piece of p*ss and you get at least 4 weeks out of it and it won't grow back stubbly and it'll be much finer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't forget to moisturise afterwards.

• Advertisement

get yourself a Gillette Fusion Power, swear to god they're the best thing ever, never once cut my legs since I bought one.

I agree. I use a fusion (on the face) and compared to any other razor you can't even feel the hair being cut. Follow up with that nivea after shave balm which is amazing for reducing any irritation or drying out. I'm guessing it would be similar for legs?

I had a pretty good article from a new scientist about gillette research into "hair hysteresis", explains why you get multiple blades these days.

Also, not trolling, you should learn to spot the difference.

Advertisement