Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support call to eircom

Options
  • 16-12-2008 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

I just rang eircom asking them the issues im having with routing.
    Ladie on the phone answers, Irish by the sound of it.

I try to explain my problem, she tells me to hold. 5 minutes later shes back. After clearly outlining to her beforehand its a problem with one of the eircom routers she goes on to say your servers in germany must be blocking you.

I explain to her my problem once again, giving her the exact IP of there overloaded server, explaining to her im not blocked however its making the use of my servers in germany unbearable.

"Hold Please" "Ok"

8 Minutes later she tells me she spoke with someone and they said it must be a problem with my servers, there obviously blocking me. To my dismay i asked her for a support email so i can send traceroutes ETC to. What is a traceroute she asks. I explain. 5 minutes shes back and tells me theres no email support from eircom, but if i wanted to check the eircom site for troubleshooting feel free.

"Thanks for calling, have a nice day"BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

(something wrong with the html code above? Paragraphs arent coming up for me)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What type of account have you got with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

3meg DSL low interleaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why didn't You ask her to get transferred to an engineer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why didn't You ask her to get transferred to an engineer?

sorry but the last 2 "engineers" i dealed with from eircom were incapable of turning on my computer or entering a password.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

someone needs to take it upon themselves to show eircom we wont accept this ****ty thing they call broadband that they sell to us (: theyre a bunch of clueless idiots.

nuxxx wrote: »
    3meg DSL low interleaving

Surely if you are on a basic home product it is unrealistic to expect the level of technical support that you seem to be looking for. At that level isps are selling a home product and the technical support provided should be to ensure a decent internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Any amount of tech support required should be available if you're a paying customer. This kind of crap isn't acceptable tbh, nor is the service from any irish ISP, if you could even call them that. Pure crap the lot of them.

dub45 wrote: »
    Surely if you are on a basic home product it is unrealistic to expect the level of technical support that you seem to be looking for. At that level isps are selling a home product and the technical support provided should be to ensure a decent internet connection.

no offence m8 but why is it post on post i see u ask the poster the most simple/formal question then shoot down whatever they answer. get technical or dont "get" at all ;)

I pay for a service and expect decent support . end of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I told you last week (by PM) who to contact if it is a routing problem NUXX , sheesh :p !!

• Advertisement

no offence m8 but why is it post on post i see u ask the poster the most simple/formal question then shoot down whatever they answer. get technical or dont "get" at all ;)

I pay for a service and expect decent support . end of.

I wasn't shooting you down. I was asking a question. How could I know the product you were on without asking you?

In my opinion the level of support you are expecting is unreasonable for the product involved. Its an opinion thats all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭spixel

I wasn't shooting you down. I was asking a question. How could I know the product you were on without asking you?

In my opinion the level of support you are expecting is unreasonable for the product involved. Its an opinion thats all.

Obviously you have a properly working connection.
    The guy who made this thread runs something off german servers which he is paying for and expects a properly running broadband service from eircom. Whats wrong with that?
    What your saying is silly. If i bought a car for 500quid , got it and the brakes were not working then the guy replies saying it only cost you 500 so i wont do anything about it. Well bad example maybe but you get the idea.
    And do you really think if he was paying for eircoms 'best' package, hed recieve any better tech support? I really doubt it.

spixel wrote: »
    The guy who made this thread runs something off german servers which he is paying for and expects a properly running broadband service from eircom. Whats wrong with that?
    What your saying is silly. If i bought a car for 500quid , got it and the brakes were not working then the guy replies saying it only cost you 500 so i wont do anything about it. Well bad example maybe but you get the idea.
    And do you really think if he was paying for eircoms 'best' package, hed recieve any better tech support? I really doubt it.

He has a properly running service from Eircom thats what he is paying for. There is nothing defective about it as there is in your example about the car.

Different levels of support go with different levels of product.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

I try to explain my problem, she tells me to hold. 5 minutes later shes back. After clearly outlining to her beforehand its a problem with one of the eircom routers she goes on to say your servers in germany must be blocking you.

I explain to her my problem once again, giving her the exact IP of there overloaded server, explaining to her im not blocked however its making the use of my servers in germany unbearable.

"Hold Please" "Ok"

8 Minutes later she tells me she spoke with someone and they said it must be a problem with my servers, there obviously blocking me. To my dismay i asked her for a support email so i can send traceroutes ETC to. What is a traceroute she asks. I explain. 5 minutes shes back and tells me theres no email support from eircom, but if i wanted to check the eircom site for troubleshooting feel free.

Just to give my 2 cents I agree and disagree with some of the comments on this.

Ok there really should be a email address of the tech support person who you are talking to. If the problem cant be fixed over the phone a help desk log number should be issued. From there she should of asked you to write in detail what the problem is quoteing the help desk log number and then this would give her time to investigate the issue in detail. And expect a reasonable turn around reply in say a day or two. Or at least thats how we do it in the company i work for.

but in all fairness to eircom 90 percent of there calls must be from old people wondering how to turn there routers on. Just seemed when she got a real call and the word server was mentioned she started to panic.

my advice use the email address above or next time ask to speak to a manager.

I think i might have sold you that car :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

"Hold Please" "Ok"

If your connection is working the tech support cannot do anything more. In fact they don't have access to anything with regards to routing thats another departments issue.

Its home broadband so 99.9 percent of people would not give a crap about routing issues.

He would actually but remember that if you have an issue such as this all the people on the phones can do is report it.

Ok there really should be a email address of the tech support person who you are talking to. If the problem cant be fixed over the phone a help desk log number should be issued. From there she should of asked you to write in detail what the problem is quoteing the help desk log number and then this would give her time to investigate the issue in detail. And expect a reasonable turn around reply in say a day or two. Or at least thats how we do it in the company i work for.

but in all fairness to eircom 90 percent of there calls must be from old people wondering how to turn there routers on. Just seemed when she got a real call and the word server was mentioned she started to panic.

my advice use the email address above or next time ask to speak to a manager.

Do you people understand how call centers work? Most people don't have time to investigate an issue. This is mostly due to the fact that people complain about being on hold for five minutes. There are only so many machines that can be looked up and a line can form sometimes also,
    Managers are by their nature non technical. They are there in every call center to deal with non technical matters and scheduling issues. It really is pointless talking to them....

Do you people understand how call centers work? Most people don't have time to investigate an issue. This is mostly due to the fact that people complain about being on hold for five minutes. There are only so many machines that can be looked up and a line can form sometimes also,
    Managers are by their nature non technical. They are there in every call center to deal with non technical matters and scheduling issues. It really is pointless talking to them....

I work for one so yea i do understand. If you don't investigate your issues whats the point of having a call center. In a call center how can the managers be non technical a good manager should be able to do the job of very body in the office. A manager has to be technical to run the place efficiently. Maybe your confusing the managers in tesco to the manager in a call center totally different. Where are you getting your facts from?

I work for one so yea i do understand. If you don't investigate your issues whats the point of having a call center. In a call center how can the managers be non technical a good manager should be able to do the job of very body in the office. A manager has to be technical to run the place efficiently. Maybe your confusing the managers in tesco to the manager in a call center totally different. Where are you getting your facts from?

Investigations are done during a call and then sent off to someone else if not solved. I believe what you were trying to get at was that the agent should e-mail them back and as I said there is just no time.

Yeah, a good manager...
    From experience and most of the time the managers are not technical they are just told what to say by others obviously you will get the odd exception.

having worked in a call centre before was one of my reasons for posting this..

Im always polite on the phone to people cause i no from experience its not nice to be shouted at, as i was yesterday

what im saying is call centres take queries/issues relating to there particular product/service, in this instance broadband. A issue is raised by the customer and logged, and a responce should be given back in a reasonable amount of time, or at least another department contact.

Not a "no we dont have any email"

Point B : A person working in a call centre needs to have technical skills, and a understanding on the product. In this case clearly the lady did not.

Finally, routing problems arent exactly a "MAJOR/OUT OF THIS WORLD HOME USE PROBLEM" To be honest its a pretty standard, im sure im not the only one calling with these problems. After emailing both addresses earlier in this post without responce the only thing i could do is call.

So please dont give the "I dont have the right to ask a certain question/there doing there job correctly" News for ya buddy, they never had a good technical support staff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

aphex™ wrote: »
    Lol, I'd never thought eircom's network operations centre out Citywest way would have an email address like that. That could prove to be a very interesting address. We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Eircom are a joke, switched to NTL because their broadband was never reliable - went off constantly and without warning. Tech support were helpful sometimes, but when you wanted anything the biddy on the phone couldn't answer (frequently) and asked for supervisors etc they were NEVER available. This lot just can't get customer service right at all.

Do what I couldn't do (because it's my Mam's line and she didn't want the fuss) - COMPLAIN, loudly.

For someone who seems to know his stuff, surprising you don't recognise php code :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Irony is moving from eircom to NTL/UPC for better customer service!

Agreed with other posters that it's not reasonable to expect front line support staff to know about routing/traceroute, but there definitely should be an escalation procedure in place to deal with such issues (regardless of the level of product). There certainly used be in eircom, about 2 years ago, but communication to the call centre staff was always flawed, so it might not be getting through correctly.

sdonn_1 wrote: »

For someone who seems to know his stuff, surprising you don't recognise php code :P

boards went nuts a few days ago , people could not post :pac:

having worked in a call centre before was one of my reasons for posting this..

Im always polite on the phone to people cause i no from experience its not nice to be shouted at, as i was yesterday

what im saying is call centres take queries/issues relating to there particular product/service, in this instance broadband. A issue is raised by the customer and logged, and a responce should be given back in a reasonable amount of time, or at least another department contact.

Not a "no we dont have any email"

Point B : A person working in a call centre needs to have technical skills, and a understanding on the product. In this case clearly the lady did not.

Finally, routing problems arent exactly a "MAJOR/OUT OF THIS WORLD HOME USE PROBLEM" To be honest its a pretty standard, im sure im not the only one calling with these problems. After emailing both addresses earlier in this post without responce the only thing i could do is call.

So please dont give the "I dont have the right to ask a certain question/there doing there job correctly" News for ya buddy, they never had a good technical support staff

Traceroutes and pings mean feck all and be realistic they are support staff who deal with 99 percent drudge calls. Why would eircom train them for that 1 percent? Its not cost effective. I mean, look at at the routers they use for a prime example of cost cutting.

Traceroutes and pings mean feck all and be realistic they are support staff who deal with 99 percent drudge calls. Why would eircom train them for that 1 percent? Its not cost effective. I mean, look at at the routers they use for a prime example of cost cutting.

Bullcrap imo.
    Ping problems mean feck all to who? Did you never notice the amount of people having issues on boards with regards this problem? Did you also miss out on eircoms "gaming" package being released with lower interleaving on downstream products.
    How did someone working in a Broadband envoirnament never hear of traceroute or ping?
    Cost effective isnt the issue, its about hiring CAPABLE employees.

I dont wana be dragged down by ignorance from my broadband supplier, do you?

Not gona reply to your generalised views on how a call centre should work anymore. Feel free to lock mods.

Bullcrap imo.
    Ping problems mean feck all to who? Did you never notice the amount of people having issues on boards with regards this problem? Did you also miss out on eircoms "gaming" package being released with lower interleaving on downstream products.
    How did someone working in a Broadband envoirnament never hear of traceroute or ping?
    Cost effective isnt the issue, its about hiring CAPABLE employees.

I dont wana be dragged down by ignorance from my broadband supplier, do you?

Not gona reply to your generalised views on how a call centre should work anymore. Feel free to lock mods.

Everything is about cost. Tech support is not the greatest paid job in the world and there is a lot of staff turn over. If the only people that will work there are people who are non technical then the only option is to train said people. If the company will not provide training to these people then it is not the agents fault. I still find it odd how you expect more from Eircom. Of course I would love to get talking to people who know what they are doing but alas its not gonna happen that often.

Throwing your toys out of the pram due to a logical approach...I don't think thats how they should be run its how they are run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Having the same sort of issue with one of our customers. Works fine on some eircom sites and not on others. It happens that in this case, they can not view their own website.
    I tried a mail to the two email addresses supplied. I will not hold my breath.
    Choice is either change host or change isp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gorest fump

Yeah, a good manager...
    From experience and most of the time the managers are not technical they are just told what to say by others obviously you will get the odd exception.

So true.

I would hazard a guess it was ttl issue in the end? Nuxx, not really an eircom issue but she should have known yes.

e-mailing ripe@ [anyisp.ie] for support- that would be just silly.

I just wanted to high 5 thelastangryman for speaking the truth really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any amount of tech support required should be available if you're a paying customer. This kind of crap isn't acceptable tbh, nor is the service from any irish ISP, if you could even call them that. Pure crap the lot of them.

Not true, your support will be provided in-line with your SLA,
    If your a home customers you will not receive the same type of support as a business customer, you get what you pay for basically

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok there really should be a email address of the tech support person who you are talking to.

The tech agent you are dealing with is under no obligation to give you their number, e-mail or even their surname.

This is 100% correct, managers are exactly that to manage people, they are not some super level 10 technical support guru, your on a home DSL package they are providing you with it and it is working, the fact its not working for one site which you only use isn't a big priority for them/Eircom

Finally in relation to e-mailing Eircom NOC, well I'd expect that mail to be deleted as the last thing they want is some home user e-mailing them

Advertisement