Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Wireless

Options
  • 16-12-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Wireless broadband from Digiweb Any one know what max distance form mast is. I know they have towns on the site but if you live 4 or 5 miles outside will it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends which system.

The mast may be outside the town beamed at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You'd probably be better off ringing them. Distance of 5 miles (assuming you're talking about Metro, and assuming you have line-of-sight) aren't a problem, but you might not have line-of-sight to the mast. They might even have a mast closer to you that you didn't know about. Ring them is the best bet, or narrow it down (where do you live, what Digiweb service are you talking about, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭trabpc

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/homewave/

homewave I think they call it

I rang Digiweb not a bit helpfull.

Here is how it went:

Me: Will wireless work in my area

DW: Dont Know but we will give you land line and see if DSL works.

Me: I know DSL wont work. My neighbours cant get it. thata why I want to try Wireless.

DW: If YOu sign up we will test line.

ME: Yea if I sing up and DSL does not work will I have to pay

DW: yes €120 non refundable ( very pushy abour signing me up)

Me: no thanks. I there not a way I can check wireless coverage.

DW: MMM yea we can get a tecci to call out for €99 to check.

ME : Ok BYE!

Eircom exactly the same. Dying to sell me a land line and then check for DSL knowing right well it wont work!!!! Fustrating

As it turns out im about 3.5 miles from mast but don't fancy paying €99 for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Did the sales agent mean that the €99 fee is the install fee? Standard practice is that wirelss companies charge a pretty high install fee (to cover expensive equipment and a compulsory engineer call out), and that you must sign up if you can get a LoS/signal (to stop people abusing the call out). If you can't get a signal then no money is charged (for install, or for service, obviously). I.e. "we'll come out and try, but only if you commit to a service contract". Digiweb have adhered to this standard practice at other times, so I'd be very surprised/disappointed if this has changed.

Any chance you misunderstood the agent? You could try ringing again for clarification (it's free!).

Funny you should mention the pushy DSL thing. I, a Metro customer, have received 2 calls from Digiweb trying to sell me DSL! That a simple "I'm already a Metro customer, which is how you got my number, I presume" doesn't stop them is amusing/bewildering. That neither call has followed up in writing, as requested, to back up claims of contention and speed (ludicrous claims, I mean), is also amusing.

• Advertisement

He was not the least interested in sending some pne out to check for signal. all he wanted was to sel me the Landline for €120. when I pushed him on getting someone out to test for wireless he said €99 non refundable whether he got signal or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Anybody have Digiweb in South Bray area. I could not get an answer from them when I asked if the area was covered yet they are willing to in stall it :confused:

I want rid of Eircom as my line can not handle over 2 MB :mad:

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Anybody have Digiweb in South Bray area. I could not get an answer from them when I asked if the area was covered yet they are willing to in stall it :confused:

bump.

It's line of Sight Wireless, so it's likely they can't tell till they try an install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 digial

Antrim_Man wrote: »

Which part of South Bray ? I think the transmitter is on the hill near Windgate and if there is no signal at the test there is no call out fee

• Advertisement

digial wrote: »
    Which part of South Bray ? I think the transmitter is on the hill near Windgate and if there is no signal at the test there is no call out fee

Jist aff nthe boghall rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pfrench

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me where in Dublin Digiweb currently have masts? I tried to get their Metro service about 3 years ago, but the install failed. I'm in South Dublin (no los to 3 rock) and despite good signal from both the Finglas and Ringsend masts, the signal back failed .... most likely due to distance . I'd like to try and get it installed again if they've brought more masts into service since then.

Thanks

There might be one in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Theres one at Tallaght and also a new one has been switched on in Dublin.

Advertisement