Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

fricatus wrote: »
    . who would be travelling from Limerick to Cork or Waterford anyway? :rolleyes:

Good that this subject is back on the agenda!

Ask people in the west, especially freight companies in Sligo, Galway, Ennis how they would like to access Rosslare Euro Port....................I say the priority is upgrade the N24 to M24 status. Please don't ask me " Where are we going to get the money" Our problem in the past was that we had more money than vision....................can we now get away from tunnel vision. (Pun intended)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

[QUOTE=Yahew;Absurd.[/QUOTE]

I would say it was a joke

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Xenophile wrote: »
    Ask people in the west, especially freight companies in Sligo, Galway, Ennis how they would like to access Rosslare Euro Port....................I say the priority is upgrade the N24 to M24 status. Please don't ask me " Where are we going to get the money" Our problem in the past was that we had more money than vision.

I have often argued that the N24 is a vital strategic link for this country which needs upgrading, and so often been shouted down with cries of "paah, how many people need to get from Limerick to Waterford anyway? Sure aren't ye all OK now that ye have a good road to Dublin?"

But like you say, there's a bigger picture, and any of our exporters whose interest lies in ferrying goods from Shannon to Antwerp or Tuam to Düsseldorf should be very angry that they're getting held up daily in Tipp Town or Carrick-on-Suir.

By the same logic, a bypass for New Ross really has to be high on the agenda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The M24 crayon plan would also divert too much traffic through Dunkettle, which would have to be very high-powered.
    M20/N24 upgrades are the way to go. The current routes are so bad that theyd have to be replaced with new singlers anyway along many stretches.

spacetweek wrote: »
    M20/N24 upgrades are the way to go. The current routes are so bad that theyd have to be replaced with new singlers anyway along many stretches.

M24 a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

M24 a priority.

Not to the Government apparently :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

M24 a priority.

No the German loan sharks are a priority. Enda has to scrape tpgether 1.2 billion in the next few days or they break his legs. That's the priority.

All joking aside The people of Limerick, Cork, Tipperary, Waterford & Wexford (i.e. the bottom 1/3rd of the country) should stop arguing that the M20 or M24 is a priority and go for a combined pitch Limerick-Mitchelstown-Cahir-Waterford-Rosslare. No more M20/M24. Sure it's not ideal and the more loop of a route might add 15 minutes to your journey than drawing a straight line from Limerick to Cork or Limerick to Waterford. But if the government won't fund it (and they can't) then a combined route with combined traffic volume would be be more attractive to Private investors. It's the only chance this will get done within a couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Why does every new road built in Ireland these days have to be motorway?Surely a 2+2 would do on the N24 and N20.These roads probaly could of been built if a 2+2 was used on the M6/M7/M9

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Why does every new road built in Ireland these days have to be motorway?Surely a 2+2 would do on the N24 and N20.These roads probaly could of been built if a 2+2 was used on the M6/M7/M9

Well one can't really undo what has been already built (M6/M7/M9) however I do agree with regards to new 2+2 road schemes. For example on the N4 route as well as for say the N24.

These roads probaly could of been built if a 2+2 was used on the M6/M7/M9

Thank God they didn't build the M7/M6/M9 as "2+2" ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Is there some sort of development restriction that comes with motorway designation that isn't there if its just a national route? That might be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jayuu wrote: »
    Is there some sort of development restriction that comes with motorway designation that isn't there if its just a national route? That might be a reason.

Yes, AFAIK, a road designated under a motorway order cannot have entrances built off it other than a restricted number of on- and off-slips for interchanges and service areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,527 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jayuu wrote: »

Complete protection from private entrances, either unofficial or granted planning by a gombeen council

Notice how some of the very wide 1970s/80s road schemes, particularly in the West (albeit mainly because this is where they were mainly built), were ruined capacity wise by allowing houses, pubs, etc to be built with uncontrolled access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

What's the reasoning for the roadworks at the bridge in Olla ?? They are there now months and it doesn't seem like anything is being done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

charlemont wrote: »
    What's the reasoning for the roadworks at the bridge in Olla ?? They are there now months and it doesn't seem like anything is being done there.

One side of the bridge is weak or something- so they're only allowing traffic at the weaker side.

One side of the bridge is weak or something- so they're only allowing traffic at the weaker side.

Thats sounds so like the lights are going to be a permanent fixture for many a year to come.:mad:

The traffic was out as far as the crossroads before Limerick Junction bridge today and it was only half two, Actually took till three to get onto the Bansha Road. Its really taking the piss now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

Work on the Ballysimon Junction is beginning on Monday. Expected to take 6 months with stop go systems a possibility.

http://www.lcc.ie/Roads/Traffic_Travel/RoadWorks/RDWORKS+_M7N24.htm

Can't find any drawings on it. Anyone got any suggestions where to look?

pigtown wrote: »

All queries/ complaints in relation to these road works should be directed to the Mid West Road Design Office who can be contacted on 061-496800 or info@midwestroads.ie
    :cool:

OK I saw that but I meant instantly online. Is it not common practice to include the plans on the web now? (genuine question)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,527 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OK I saw that but I meant instantly online. Is it not common practice to include the plans on the web now? (genuine question)

Often they get uploaded when the planning app goes in, then get lost in a site change before the road gets built.

Thanks. That could be the case here as the MidWest Roads Design office website has been taken down.

Work on the Ballysimon Junction is beginning on Monday. Expected to take 6 months with stop go systems a possibility.

Great to see it being fixed but this is the second attempt to fix that disaster (the first attempt was the traffic lights etc). I hope whoever designed it in the first place isn't left anywhere near this or any other project in the near future.

touts wrote: »
    Great to see it being fixed but this is the second attempt to fix that disaster (the first attempt was the traffic lights etc).

I've heard two theories as to why it was/is such a disaster;
    1. Unforseen explosion in traffic volumes
    2. Proper junction too expensive

Anyone know the real reason?

I've heard two theories as to why it was/is such a disaster;
    1. Unforseen explosion in traffic volumes
    2. Proper junction too expensive

Anyone know the real reason?

3. Competent design team not available at time of design

I vaguely remember reading on some board or another that they were very constrained with the site. They had to deal with the motorway, old road, stream, railway line, graveyard, houses, and now of course there is a housing estate in the way.
    I don't know much about road design so don't know if they were legitimate concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

charlemont wrote: »
    Thats sounds so like the lights are going to be a permanent fixture for many a year to come.:mad:

That sounds almost 3rd world in fairness. A bridge on a major N-route is unsafe on one side so they just bloack off hald of it :confused:. I know things are very tight but would this not be an absolute priority for repair funds. Such a pity the N24 is given such low priority as one of the main routes between the south east and mid-west. It's one busy road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

touts wrote: »
    Great to see it being fixed but this is the second attempt to fix that disaster (the first attempt was the traffic lights etc). I hope whoever designed it in the first place isn't left anywhere near this or any other project in the near future.

I was looking at Google Street View and saw that there were a lot of buildouts narrowing the road at the traffic lights - I guess these went in as part of the initial signalization work. Now if that's the case, only a wet day in, they'll most likely be bulldozed out of it in order to make way for 2 lanes each way... :confused::(:confused::(

...why oh why wasn't the current scheme implemented in the first place so that the tax-payer could have been spared the cost of constructing and then demolishing the buildouts, as well as better future proofing the junction - after all, the road looks like a 15m WS2 - this could easily have been converted to S4 then (4 x 3.5m lanes plus 2 x 0.5m verge strips) for the most part - let me guess, that's what they're about to do now! :(

Heads should roll IMO! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

http://www.lcc.ie/idocsweb/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=919828&format=jpeg

getimage?cat=iDocs&item=467296.djvu&wid=600&hei=500&rgn=-0.0576208178,-0.1578947368,1.0576208178,1.1578947368&oif=jpeg&page=0

getimage?cat=iDocs&item=467297.djvu&wid=600&hei=500&rgn=-0.0576208178,-0.1578947368,1.0576208178,1.1578947368&oif=jpeg&page=0

getimage?cat=iDocs&item=467299.djvu&wid=600&hei=500&rgn=-0.0576208178,-0.1578947368,1.0576208178,1.1578947368&oif=jpeg&page=0

getimage?cat=iDocs&item=467300.djvu&wid=600&hei=500&rgn=-0.0576208178,-0.1578947368,1.0576208178,1.1578947368&oif=jpeg&page=0

• Advertisement

Advertisement