Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Only place that warrants a by-pass is Tipp town, it's the only place that's a nightmare to get through.

The opening of the Tipp town plaza doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this will happen though.
    A Tipp Town bypass is at least 10 years away. Hence opening the Tipp Town plaza.

There will be no improvements to the N24 this side of 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Only place that warrants a by-pass is Tipp town, it's the only place that's a nightmare to get through.

The opening of the Tipp town plaza doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this will happen though.

All towns on the N24 warrant bypasses but Tipp is the most pressing.

marno21 wrote: »
    A Tipp Town bypass is at least 10 years away. Hence opening the Tipp Town plaza.

There will be no improvements to the N24 this side of 2025.

So depressing but even that could be optimistic...what they should do on routes like this is a series of quality minor improvements- stuff like widening, bend realignments and some climbing lanes would make an enormous difference. I don't know why they won't do these kind of things- they prefer role out grandous new build plans that in reality are going to take decades, if at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    So depressing but even that could be optimistic...what they should do on routes like this is a series of quality minor improvements- stuff like widening, bend realignments and some climbing lanes would make an enormous difference. I don't know why they won't do these kind of things- they prefer role out grandous new build plans that in reality are going to take decades, if at all.
    The problem is that the "grandous" plans are what is required to provide a basic level of service on these roads, and make them safe. This is especially true of the N24 between Tipp Town and Limerick, and the N21/N22/N25 etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The other way of looking at it is that those minor improvements are just tidying the edges while a huge unmet need is in the centre.

In other countries they would have just gotten on with it and you wouldn't have to wait decades.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the "grandous" plans are what is required to provide a basic level of service on these roads, and make them safe. This is especially true of the N24 between Tipp Town and Limerick, and the N21/N22/N25 etc.

The N25 is not too bad except around Castlemartyr where it is of similar "quality" to the N24!
    I just think rather than wheeling out these dreams every 10 years, they should be realistic and look at the actual reality and improve what's already there in the interim. It might actually save a few lives as well, rather than doing nothing and allowing bad situations get worse.

Very good article and on the money points and arguments (for a change). Glad others think the same. I'd say it's a huge impediment to south Tipp especially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I live in Waterford and regularly have to be in Limerick- exactly 80 miles door to door - for my job by 9 am. To ensure l am on time I leave home at 6.15 if going via N24.

If going via M9 to Kilkenny and on via Ballyraggett, Ballacolla and on to M7 at J21 Borris in Ossory I can leave home at 6.40!!! That route is an extra 22 miles, yet 22 minutes faster!!

This is madness.

Also, the number of accidents on this road must be costing the Irish economy a fortune. The advent of the M9 has saved quite a few lives and ergo the Irish economy some expense. This is a benefit of road improvement that is not often mentioned.

Minister wrote: »
    I live in Waterford and regularly have to be in Limerick- exactly 80 miles door to door - for my job by 9 am. To ensure l am on time I leave home at 6.15 if going via N24.

If going via M9 to Kilkenny and on via Ballyraggett, Ballacolla and on to M7 at J21 Borris in Ossory I can leave home at 6.40!!! That route is an extra 22 miles, yet 22 minutes faster!!

This is madness.

Also, the number of accidents on this road must be costing the Irish economy a fortune. The advent of the M9 has saved quite a few lives and ergo the Irish economy some expense. This is a benefit of road improvement that is not often mentioned.
    Very interesting. Could you give a bit more specific information on which parts of Waterford/Limerick you're going to/coming from?

• Advertisement

Very interesting. Could you give a bit more specific information on which parts of Waterford/Limerick you're going to/coming from?

City near Outer ring road to Castletroy area. I stay on M7 til N24 junction and then Groody road.......

M9 and M7 is safer and less stressful on man and car!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

City near Outer ring road to Castletroy area. I stay on M7 til N24 junction and then Groody road.......

Some people still use miles?

From Google, 80 miles = 130 km

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

NedNew2 wrote: »

From Google, 80 miles = 130 km

81 miles = 130 km ;-)

NedNew2 wrote: »

Yes. Some of us do. Now back to the topic. Thank you.

Oh, and eh, 80 miles = 128.748 kilometres - to be precise.........

That's crazy alright. Shame a lot of the N77 and Durrow to the M7 are still such bad roads. No worse than the N24 mind

That's crazy alright. Shame a lot of the N77 and Durrow to the M7 are still such bad roads. No worse than the N24 mind

You're right! However, N77 & Durrow/M7 traffic is lighter and there are less trucks who, by virtue of the N24 road layout etc, must,correctly, drive carefully - average 35mph or 56.327 Kmh ;) <see earlier>.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

The thing is that Ireland thinks it can sit back and relax, just because it has managed to build a very basic motorway system (belatedly that is). Thing is, we are still 30 years behind everyone else in terms of infrastructure and if we don't seriously invest in projects like Dublin's DART Inter-connector and the M20 Cork to Limerick as well as the N24 (perhaps Clonmel to Cahir section as motorway), we will once again find ourselves as the laughing stock of Europe. If the powers that be seriously think cycling infrastructure is going to get us back on track... :pac::pac::pac:

Also, with Brexit and possible increased traffic via Rosslare, a reopening of the Waterford to Rosslare line as a freight route could be looked at. At minimum, an entire upgrade of the N24 needs to be prioritised - nothing less than DT-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Middle Man wrote: »
    The thing is that Ireland thinks it can sit back and relax, just because it has managed to build a very basic motorway system (belatedly that is). Thing is, we are still 30 years behind everyone else in terms of infrastructure and if we don't seriously invest in projects like Dublin's DART Inter-connector and the M20 Cork to Limerick as well as the N24 (perhaps Clonmel to Cahir section as motorway), we will once again find ourselves as the laughing stock of Europe. If the powers that be seriously think cycling infrastructure is going to get us back on track... :pac::pac::pac:

Also, with Brexit and possible increased traffic via Rosslare, a reopening of the Waterford to Rosslare line as a freight route could be looked at. At minimum, an entire upgrade of the N24 needs to be prioritised - nothing less than DT-2.
    There's a pittance being spent on cycling infrastructure as it is, I suspect the bigger problem lies with political priorities like Christmas welfare bonuses and providing free of charge yet metered water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Clonmel takes a flipping age to get through at times, mainly due to an endless parade of roundabouts along the N24. Amazing how they slow everything if there are HGV's ahead of you.

Clonmel takes a flipping age to get through at times, mainly due to an endless parade of roundabouts along the N24. Amazing how they slow everything if there are HGV's ahead of you.
    There was a planned Clonmel Outer Bypass from Rathkeevin to the N24/N76 junction but it was canned in 2011 by Varadkar. Now has to start from scratch.

If N24 has to start from scratch I hope the schemes are rather large to be put through the planning process. Build away in smaller bits but get them PP first. Perhaps Ballysimon-Pallasgreen, Pallasgreen-Cahir, Cahir-N76 junction, N76 junction-Piltown BP, Piltown BP-Grannagh

Cahir BP & Piltown BP need 2+2 treatment too, especially Piltown BP with the dangerous junctions.

• Advertisement

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/250566/cash-confirmed-for-interim-safety-works-on-piltown-s-n24-tower-road-junction.html

Works to begin on the Tower Rd junction at Piltown.

The best way forward for this section of the N24 is just to rip up the barrier and return it to single carriageway. Having the median is only causing more trouble than it's worth. This type of cross section is not suitable for 2+1 treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Awful traffic through Tipp Town today, although not surprising. Even a road to avoid that main street would be brilliant!

Awful traffic through Tipp Town today, although not surprising. Even a road to avoid that main street would be brilliant!
    TII are advancing a pipeline scheme of N24 dual carriageway from Limerick Junction to Cahir incorporating bypasses of Tipperary town and Bansha; thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057760256

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

TII are advancing a pipeline scheme of N24 dual carriageway from Limerick Junction to Cahir incorporating bypasses of Tipperary town and Bansha; thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057760256

Years away though sadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

It isn't a government priority and increasingly not a priority for the Thurles based Council. The only way Tipp Town is getting bypassed is if they can find a way to run it between Thurles and Nenagh.

First thing I've ever agreed with Mattie on. Upgrade the lot to motorway and be done with it forever.
    Though I'm quite surprised, I thought he'd be anti this going through people's land or something

touts wrote: »
    It isn't a government priority and increasingly not a priority for the Thurles based Council. The only way Tipp Town is getting bypassed is if they can find a way to run it between Thurles and Nenagh.

I think Tipperary co council is based in Clonmel and Nenagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hiving off the political environment to the politics board makes no sense as it means context is removed from the discussion.

• Advertisement

Hiving off the political environment to the politics board makes no sense as it means context is removed from the discussion.

Exactly. Funding priorities are political and directly relevant to the discussion of the N24 and other roads finding. I can't for the life of me see why that should solely be the preserve of the Politics forum

Advertisement