Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 Limerick-Waterford upgrade

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The entire stretch from Limerick Junction to Waterford will be fully appraised in 2018 by TII and the local authorities and it will then be phased on a priority basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I travel this road to Limerick from Waterford every week. I have to allow myself a 30mph travel time (even though I prefer to drive at closer to speed limits) as it is so bloody bad.

Two more deaths on N24 yesterday. How many more before the people in Government or the many State Bodies responsible for roads decide to invest in upgrading this awful road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Minister wrote: »
    How many more before the people in Government or the many State Bodies responsible for roads decide to invest in upgrading this awful road?

6 i imagine...

I don't think its a done thing for them to measure it that way if the road is not an inter urban (read Dublin to another city) or Atlantic Corridoor route.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Minister wrote: »
    Two more deaths on N24 yesterday. How many more before the people in Government or the many State Bodies responsible for roads decide to invest in upgrading this awful road?
    I wish people wouldn't post this every time there is a tragedy on our roads. It seems to imply that the Government have both the resources and capability at their fingertips to upgrade every national road in the country to HQDC standard or above within the next three to four years, and the only reason that is not happening is either extreme incompetence or deliberate, calculated malice.

It is very, very clear that neither are true, so why keep making this argument?

(To keep this post on topic, Marno's post from Feb 18th stated that the entire stretch from Limerick Junction to Waterford will be fully appraised in 2018 by TII, before being advanced on a priority basis. This road hasn't been forgotten.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wish people wouldn't post this every time there is a tragedy on our roads. It seems to imply that the Government have both the resources and capability at their fingertips to upgrade every national road in the country to HQDC standard or above within the next three to four years, and the only reason that is not happening is either extreme incompetence or deliberate, calculated malice.

It is very, very clear that neither are true, so why keep making this argument?

(To keep this post on topic, Marno's post from Feb 18th stated that the entire stretch from Limerick Junction to Waterford will be fully appraised in 2018 by TII, before being advanced on a priority basis. This road hasn't been forgotten.)
    Whilst I agree with you, there is an attitude amongst politicians that road deaths can be greatly reduced by persecuting people breaking arbitrary speed limits irrespective of driving conditions and drinking one pint. The reality is different. Many road deaths can be put down to unsafe stretches of road. There were 4 deaths on the national road network this week, 2 on the N24, one on the N5 and one on the N71. All four deaths occured on stretches of national road that are simply not fit for purpose, the N24 crash especially as it happened on a narrow twisty section of road and involved multiple vehicles. The N24 and N5 stretches of road were marked for upgrade to dual carraigeway, partly due to safety concerns. The N5 scheme is even at the tender stage.

The fact is that road deaths have declined significantly in the last 10-15 years. There are many factors involved here, drink driving laws, penalty points, general car manufacturer safety improvements, the NCT process, but importantly, significantly improved roads. The days of Friday evening collisions on the N1, N6, N7, N8 and N9 are gone, because the roads have become significantly more safer.

There were 46 deaths on the national road network in 2017. I believe that can be greatly reduced if significantly more upgrades can be done. There is a ripple effect here because a first class national road network entices people to travel on national roads instead of dangerous rat run local/regional routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The upgrades of the M3, M4, M6, M7, M8, M9 ,M11 all illustrate clearly the safety benefits of new motorway replacing crap N roads. All the above had stretches with very dangerous sections with high fatal collusion rates. These dropped considerably once bypassed.

Exactly this. The 24 or so upgrades in the NDP should help this further especially with the M20, the N4/N5/N22 schemes removing outright dangerous stretches of road. Bypass schemes also provide pedestrian benefits in the towns they remove traffic from. Further development of these roads will pay a massive safety dividend in addition to the obvious journey time and capacity benefits they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

road_high wrote: »
    The upgrades of the M3, M4, M6, M7, M8, M9 ,M11 all illustrate clearly the safety benefits of new motorway replacing crap N roads. All the above had stretches with very dangerous sections with high fatal collusion rates. These dropped considerably once bypassed.
    And M1, which bypassed sites where multiple-death accidents occurred in the 20 years before it was completed from Dublin to Dundalk.

An upgrade in the short term..

Tender issued for advance works (ground investigation) for the planned safety upgrade of an overbridge at Tower Road on the N24 Piltown bypass

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=131399&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Advertisement
Advertisement