Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone data packages for PAYG

• 16-12-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be back in Ireland for xmas and will need to get my PC online every now and then. The parents only have dialup and my laptop doesn't have a modem so it looks like I will be tethering my mobile. I have a vodafone payg card that I use on my annual returns, had a look and it has somehow accumulated €50 in credit while I was last home.. not complaining!! Are there any data packages I can subscribe to, i.e something like where you would pay 99c a day for unlimited data? Couldn't see anything on their site.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

The 99cent per day doesn't work when you use the phone as a modem! It's a different access point, and I think the cheapest is 29 cent per mb or thereabouts.

O2's 99 cent per 50mb per day is ok as modem!

Oh, PS: you tricked me! Should have added a '?' to the thread title!
    I thought this was an announcement ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

strecker wrote: »
    The 99cent per day doesn't work when you use the phone as a modem! It's a different access point, and I think the cheapest is 29 cent per mb or thereabouts.

O2's 99 cent per 50mb per day is ok as modem!

Oh, PS: you tricked me! Should have added a '?' to the thread title!
    I thought this was an announcement ;)

Cheers ...hmm, there was a ? mark there earlier, I think :confused:

Would they be able to know you were accessing it through a modem though? I won't be going crazy with the downloads, just mainly checking mails!

Will look into the o2 offering sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This should be very much up to date .. updated it last night ..
    http://www.powermyphone.com/datapricing.php

Using Vodafone ISP it's 19c/MB.

With Meteor or O2 ISP it's 99c/50MB daily and then 2c/KB after.

With 3 it's a tenner a month for 1gig I believe with twenty for 10gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

But what is the billing increments on voda's 19c per meg? 1kb, 10kb or even higher?

when i asked vodafone they said per kb.

Their website is not very clear.

I'm waiting on another reply but they seem to be dodging the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

The best and cheapest option for data would be 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Walkman wrote: »

'cheapest'? Ok. 'best'? Depends! Not much good if you live in the wrong place ;)

flodis79 wrote: »
    But what is the billing increments on voda's 19c per meg? 1kb, 10kb or even higher?

This page http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/other/

This bit
    Data services (GPRS and the Internet)

The mobile internet pricing above is recommended for all customers and is the default charging on all prepaid handsets we sell. This charging is through the Vodafone Live! Connection point (APN) which adapts websites for mobile viewing.

However, some advanced users may wish to use our ISP connection point. This connection point does not adapt websites for the best mobile viewing. Users of phone as a modem, data telemetry devices or other non-Vodafone internet devices with a prepaid SIM card may prefer to use this connection point. Pricing is on a per-KB basis rather than on a per-minute basis. That means you'll be charged on the amount of information (data) you send and/or receive, not on how long your call lasts. All data traffic through the ISP APN is charged at 19c per MB on Prepaid.

So I guess the per KB is how it is. I'm fancinated to know if they round this up to a cent if you only use 1KB a day .. but not really bothered to check right now.

Walkman wrote: »

Looking at purely for the cost 3 does appear to be the best option. As for their service though - they are known to block websites and have various problems sometimes with age verification and other things. Having said that a mate uses it and doesn't really have any major complaints - depends what you're into I guess. Coverage can also be a problem sometimes. Would definitely suggest trying it out though, might be great in your area and if it is the price is pretty dam good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Looking at purely for the cost 3 does appear to be the best option. As for their service though - they are known to block websites and have various problems sometimes with age verification and other things. Having said that a mate uses it and doesn't really have any major complaints - depends what you're into I guess. Coverage can also be a problem sometimes. Would definitely suggest trying it out though, might be great in your area and if it is the price is pretty dam good.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with 3 may be coverage. If you know how to use the 3 "system" you can bypass any major issues. I am currently using a 3Pay handset sim in a modem, I never got it age verified and have full internet access (and I mean FULL, no adult sites are blocked, of course I know this by only trying them to make sure they would work;)). If you have a 3 handset go to Planet 3, My 3, Access Settings - turn on internet access if it is disabled, wait 5 mins then turn off your phone then back on and you will no longer get the "age verify" message. Then go to Buy Add On on My3 and set you phone as a modem (turn you phone off again ((all this turning off and on of your phone you will only have to do this one time)), hook up to you PC and "hey presto" no sites are blocked...:D

Advertisement