Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study over Christmas?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Just wondering who here is going to be doing alot of study over Christmas. I myself am very laid back but I'm planing/hoping to at least do a few days study (badly need to go over some of the Honours Irish course!)

I bring this up cause my friend told me that her mom said she can only have 2 study free days over Christmas. Ya you read that correctly, TWO DAYS ONLY! The 2 days she gets free are Christmas day and St. Stephens day. I think this is way over the top, while she has been very unmotivated and didn't do very well in the tests, she is well able to get what she wants without all this study.

So is anyone else going to(or maybe forced to) do an absurd amount of study over the holidays or are ye like myself and gonna take it easy enough while trying to do some study?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭K-Bowie

Yup I gotta study or I'm seriously screwed lol I've done like no work at all, and I need 500+ points, So i have myself set out to work over the x-mas work during the morning/day and enjoy the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

You seem really motivated man, fair play! I wish I was as motivated!

Animo wrote: »
    You seem really motivated man, fair play! I wish I was as motivated!

No I'm actually really really lazy lol, I've just thought about wasting my life and not going to college and well thats not for me, college is built for me haha,
    Motivate yourself its not as hard as you think, just study a tiny bit everyday and you'll start getting into the habit of actually doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

I'll try if I can but I'm afraid of falling into old habits, every Chrimbo I'm always staying up late into the night and then don't wake till sometime in the afternoon. This is gonna have to stop this year though.....well hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Im gonna be in Cavan for a bit, and Cavan isnt really the place to study, young children and whatnot.

But when I get back, Im gonna try and do a fair bit, 3 or so hours a day, also after new years im not gonna drink, so that takes away the hangover distraction. So things I just need to get out of the way, but from the 25th onwards I'll have a lovely mandolin so that'll be an obstacle.

Also the course I really wanna do is around 420 so I dont have to kill myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

No point killing yourself over Christmas, but... well, for a lot of people the mocks are pretty soon after you get back, so it's nice to have broken the back, so to say, of the revision for that, before you're back at school and getting bombarded with homework. Even doing an hour a day in the morning/afternoon can be a great help, and in fairness, taking an hour out of a day of leisure is hardly killing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

my teacher told us to only take christmas day off
    not happening!
    ill revise a bit each day but im hopeing to enjoy theese holidays...have a few parties im going to and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Kinda forgot that I have a Religion project to do :o

Not gonna be fun............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

We were told take 5 days, Christmas Eve & Day, Stephens' Day, New Years Eve & Day..

Psssshhhhttt, never going to happen. Hope to get certain things done/caught up on, and might take PFM's suggestion of an hour or two a day. But there is NO WAY I'm going to spend the whole break studying! You need a rest from work and I know when we go back it'll be mocks this, study that. So I plan to fully take advantage of the holidays :D

Plus I don't get to see my non-school friends/friends that don't live near me, all that much anymore because of the amount of work we're being given, not even including study. Planning to spend a major amount of time with them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Ill try do 4 days good study maybe and another day devoted to the world of project work, but itll all fail miserably due to drunkness/messing with pressents/trying to sort out cao

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

I was planning on getting a fair amount done- but I didn't realise how close Christmas is... I'm def going out Friday, recovering and shopping Saturday... I'm thinking that if I get 5 or 6 focused study done it'll be okay. I just realised that I'm able to learn essays off so I'm going to try and get English and Art out of the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm finished on Friday and there's no way I'll be studying this weekend, am taking a nice oul break. Then I have my school's social in Spy next Tuesday, Christmas Eve/Christmas Day/Stephen's Day/New Year's Eve/New Year's Day I won't look at a book. Then I have a 2 day trip to Cork to see 2ManyDJ's.

I guess that doesn't leave much room for study at all. I don't really mind, I'm gonna enjoy the break and then get into the swing of things before the mocks. I'll probably do a bit on my DCG project though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I will do some studying. Organic chemistry, some biology, some business and English. And I need to finish fully my French document.

Lucet wrote: »
    And I need to finish fully my French document.

I havn't even started mine god damn it lol thanks for the reminder haha

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

K-Bowie wrote: »
    I havn't even started mine god damn it lol thanks for the reminder haha

We did one in September, but I went on the trip to Switzerland and today I did it again, about that trip. But actually we have to know everything what's on the document, because he's examining us this week :eek: .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I shall be studying throughout the Christmas holidays.

I, myself, plan on doing absolutely nothing over Christmas. Christmas isn't a time for study, cop on people! It's a time for laziness and food, don't come near me with any of that crazy study talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Christmas for me is about trying to decide what to do with my life :( DAMN YOU CAO

I think I'll be re-redoing my history research topic too just to be on the safe side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

Goals for me are:
    1.Re-do my history project(had it checked by mam's friend- shes a hist teacher and told me it was too broad :< )
    2. Get my French document sorted- tbh this should take an hour max to prepare it and just practice it every few days over the rest of the year
    3. barrell through all the **** that i made a mess of in the christmas tests
    4. look over things we've covered since then..
    5. Cycle my new bike every day for 30-60 mins everyday :D

I'm paying no attention to the 'christmas is for relaxing' talk because tbh, ive relaxed enough as it is.. I wanna get ****loads done and be well prepared for my mocks =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

Im going to do a fair bit aswell. Got my history project to do, french document aswell, doing Joe Canning, it wont take long day or two. Im going to the institute over the christmas holidays aswell so i'll be fairly busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'll try to try studying. :pac:

Laziness has been killing me this last month, I haven't been doing much at all. D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I've done flip all recently. I'd better do a bit over the hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Mr.S wrote: »
    whats a french document ;o

You have to take something into the exam to talk about for 3 minutes. You have some form of picture thing, and you basically predict what they will ask you about it, and speil off something. Not looking forward to it at all... My teacher has usggested pictures from holidays/debs, a picture of something in France, a brochure for your intended holiday in France, or something French related. And you should go for something the examiner can realte to, apparently (not sure how you're supposed to predict this), as they will mark you better because the conversation will flow better!

Blaaaahhhh. I have no idea what to do. Will definitely have to decide over Christmas!

You have to take something into the exam to talk about for 3 minutes.
    Note: You don't have to do a document. I didn't. It probably makes it easier, though, as you can prepare a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

well so far,
    my maths teacher has given us a whole mock paper to do over christmas so that will take a while.
    we've been given 2 english comparatives to do, and a third if we have the time.
    haven't gotten anything else yet, but i'd say i will, seeing as the mocks are 3 and a half weeks after christmas.
    planning to do a good bit each day, maybe get up around 9 or 10 and study till 1 or so.
    doing biology grinds in the institute for 4 days aswell;.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Animo wrote: »
    Just wondering who here is going to be doing alot of study over Christmas. I myself am very laid back but I'm planing/hoping to at least do a few days study (badly need to go over some of the Honours Irish course!)

I bring this up cause my friend told me that her mom said she can only have 2 study free days over Christmas. Ya you read that correctly, TWO DAYS ONLY! The 2 days she gets free are Christmas day and St. Stephens day. I think this is way over the top, while she has been very unmotivated and didn't do very well in the tests, she is well able to get what she wants without all this study.

So is anyone else going to(or maybe forced to) do an absurd amount of study over the holidays or are ye like myself and gonna take it easy enough while trying to do some study?

Yeah honours Irish is a heap... so much on it... prob end up doin pass...

Yeah defo goin study over crimbo but not too much, have done a bit already so...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I, myself, plan on doing absolutely nothing over Christmas. Christmas isn't a time for study, cop on people!

Whoa.. Thats a negative attitude. Fail to plan, Plan to fail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

I'd take it easy enough if I was you, maybe a day looking over a subject that you feel weak in. I did my leaving cert last year, did no study over christmas or easter but still did very well, the best way to do well is do homework and pay attention during class, and then cram for the two weeks beforehand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm aiming for about two hours a day maybe. I'm not gonna rigidly stick to that though, I'm sick of study, what with Christmas tests on Friday, Monday and Tuesday :( I'm aiming to get my geography done and maybe some French and lots of Physics. Although I'm getting a microkorg so that's definately gonna get in the way! :D

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    So its like the Oral, but you choose to talk about something you want to talk about?

Well, it's part of the Oral. You sit down, they go "Do you have a Document?" if you do, they may ask you about it. Afaik they don't HAVE to, but it'd be cruel not to.

Advertisement