Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study over Christmas?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

There's absolutely no need to do any study over Christmas, no matter how much you have/haven't done already, IMO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Mr.S wrote: »
    So its like the Oral, but you choose to talk about something you want to talk about?

Oh sorry, I meant to say Oral instead of exam. You take it in with you to the oral, as PFM has said!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I suppose I'll do a few hours over Christmas - I won't be strict about it, even the teachers say we should take some time off, I'm not gonna complain :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

HI guys, I've been reading this with interest, because I'm now in 1st year at college although it seems like only yesterday I was in your position! Here's the deal...I finished on the Friday last year and took a whole week off...guilt free! Then I found that when the festivities were over I was much more able to study having had a break. I used to get u at 9 every day (so I could stay up till 12 or 1 each night), make a study plan at 10 15, and launch into my Xmas homework at 10 30. I always got some homework out of the way before study. I would study till 1, take an hour off, then 2 to 3 30 (my usual school finishing time), and then I had hours and hours and hours off-it was bliss!!! :D Ensuring I had homework to do each day meant that I was less likely to stray off and do nothing for the day.

I got 515 in my Leaving Cert, and was really overworked by the time it came around, so I wouldn't recommend killing yourselves. If you don't take a few days off over Xmas then you probably won't perform as well in your exams as you could have if you returned nice and refreshed.

This is advice from someone who has been through the process recently and knows how it works. Your teachers/parents may guilt trip you for the few days rest but remember that they haven't been through it for a long time. I know how the Leaving Cert works and I scored pretty high in it following that format-so take my advice and reward yourselves, because the last 2 terms of 6th year are nothing like the 1st.

ENJOY YOUR CHRISTMAS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Well, um, I brought home lots of books.
    Good intentions and all that...

I'm going to go out as much as possible, and see all my friends as much as possible when they're home from college.
    Spare time shall be used for studying.
    I do plan on getting a good bit done all the same, few hours most days or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I have a lot of books with me, and more will be brought home on Monday when I finish. I'm secretly motivated. As a repeat student, I know how fast this year can go and the shock that comes with it, so I'm prepared to work until June.

Plan to do a lot over the holidays. It's a chance to catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Rosedale6

Ill be studying over the Christmas holiday. Plan to do a few hours a day if there's not a lot going on on that day. Ill try and do it in the morning early afternoon. I'm almost there as most of the time i get 85% 90% in the pre exams. Just want to refresh my brain over christmas so i don't slip back really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Right ok, this thread has been making me feel guilty...

I'm gonna go over the 5th year History course and make revision notes, and bring home all my Bio and Chem notes to organise them. Thanks guys, I needed something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm actually planning on doing nothing, that's how bad I am! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I've plenty to do!

English: complete a paper 1

Irish: revise the 5 pass poems, the 5 prose, write out topics for oral

Maths: complete a full mock paper

French: we were given a booklet of reading comprehensions to do, a booklet of qs for the oral to prepare and write out

Biology: given list of topics to revise

Accounting: Given list of topics to revise

Music: revise set works

that was all the work the teachers gave us, on top of the revision I set myself weeks ago! so we'll see how it goes but hoping to take a few days off and then do a few hours a day. If I say I'll spend the day studying I'll get very little done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Well what i'm thinking is starting my study on 29th when I start my institute grinds. (Am doing English and Biology) and just hopefully a few hours.Have Spanish homework: Tape and I wouldn't mind going over what I f**ked up in xmas business exam.

Gonna enjoy christmas, am 18 now so better keep the drink under control and my 6th year social night is 2moro so that should help me chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

djcervi wrote: »
    Well what i'm thinking is starting my study on 29th when I start my institute grinds. (Am doing English and Biology) and just hopefully a few hours.Have Spanish homework: Tape and I wouldn't mind going over what I f**ked up in xmas business exam.

Gonna enjoy christmas, am 18 now so better keep the drink under control and my 6th year social night is 2moro so that should help me chill.

i'll see you at the biology ones so!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Brought home my Physics, Business and Geography books to do some study, and also have to re-write my French document.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I brought home many books... MAny many books.

Pretty sure I'll still do nothing. I always start off with the best of intentions and the just sort of forget (read: ignore) it all :o:(

<chants to convince self> Must work on French document. Must work on French document. Must work on French document. Must work on French document. Must work on French document. Must work on French document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Everyone's working on their document? :eek: Our teacher mentioned it in passing once...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

What is this document???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

creggy wrote: »
    What is this document???

Haha, oh you people...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I'm happy that I already finished that document. Some practice and I'm quite ready for my French oral :D.
    I'm trying to study business, chemistry, biology and english. I will see how it goes :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Brought home my Physics, Business and Geography books to do some study, and also have to re-write my French document.

And I haven't even taken them out of my bag yet.:pac:

^Respect.

Got a bit of maths done today, First Principles, Implicit and Parametric Diff. Thank God my teacher made us a study plan or I'd never have bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

5 hours of fecking biology done today and still a question and a half left to do on a paper.
    hand cramps ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Oh yeah, study.

I knew I forgot something. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i only really started today...got so bored ended up having day dreams about nephrons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Can't say I've done a thing since the start of the hols but I think I needed a break cos I worked my ass off before the break. As soon as the holidays are over back into the books again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Started today, did German and Geography. In all honesty id prefer to be in school so id actually studying which i wouldnt mind because there wouldnt be anything else to do but at home its like distractions galore. I tend to end up on my guitar or end up reading some book that isnt even mine etc...

But i guess its a start and i am determined to do something its just sooo god damn boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Did all of Algebra tonight and last night, 20% of maths done. :) Pity I haven't started anything else :(

i only really started today...got so bored ended up having day dreams about nephrons

This gave me such very strange images.

Think LSD trip* with Bowman's Capsules.

Anyway, I got a few more hours Maths done today, applications of Differentiation and started on Permutations/Combinations. When I'm into it I can fly through them but the trickier ones tend to make my brain melt. I'll finish Combinations and start Probability tomorrow.

*I have never done LSD but I think we've all seen cartoon representations... Simpsons?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

I done my LC in 2007, and didn't bring a document into the French Oral. Our teacher didn't really stress it to be honest, my French was weak enough without having to prepare answers for something like that. When I was told they may not even ask about it, I was put right off. I just crammed my head full of common French sentences and went over a few possible conversations. I was lucky though, I only learned really basic stuff and 1 more difficult topic about the enviornment...and he asked me all about the enviornment:pac:

Got a C3 in honors and I was ecstatic, I had gotten a D3 in the mocks and had contemplated going back to pass, my teacher practically begged me to but I wouldn't. Hahah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I haven't done anything.
    Nothing.
    I reorganised my geography folder (as I'm obsessed with organisation) but that's it. And that really doesn't count!

I don't even care, I'll do something after New Years. I need the break, dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

i have a hoooge maths revision sheet , i've done 1/3 of it so far , also need to learn theorems , spanish roleplays , physics , irish orals , and mocks are coming up , so is the deadline for the DCG project.. :o:(

Advertisement