Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edges top british things of 2008

Options
  • 16-12-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Best game:
    1. LittleBigPlanet
    2. GTA IV
    3. Fable II

Best Innovation:
    1. LittleBigPlanet
    2. NXE
    3. Left 4 Dead

Best Visual Design
    1. LittleBigPlanet
    2. Street Fighter IV
    3. Far Cry 2

Best Audio Design:
    1. Dead Space
    2. GTA IV
    3. No More Heroes

Best hardware:
    1. Xbox 360
    2. PS3
    3. Wii

Best Publisher:
    1. Microsoft Game Studios
    2. Electronic Arts
    3. Sony Computer Entertainment

Best Online Experience:
    1. Left 4 Dead
    2. LittleBigPlanet
    3. Gears of War 2

Best Developer:
    1. Media Molecule
    2. Criterion Games
    3. Rockstar North

No fallout 3, damn americans :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

those things arent british at all..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

knew that edge would be licking LBP's hole. they are incredibly predictable nowadays. last year nintendo had their hole thoroughly cleaned by edges lavish tongue and it seems that MS & Sony felt a little left out so edge just had to get in on that rimjob action.
    so glad i stopped buying edge. it used to be quality... used

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, but LBP is fecking brilliantly and comfortably the best game of a year in which innovation has been lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Edge is too up its own arse. Don't get me wrong-I am an educated man but I don't want half page reviews that use too many big words in an effort to say nothing of real substance.

Giving Gears of War 9 and Resistence 6 was also a bit strange. Dido 7 for Fallout 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd agree with most of their choices to be honest. Certainly their top two games are exactly the same as mine, comfortably. Although I don't rate Fable 2 at all, got really sick of it after the first few hours when it all became painfully repetitive and pointless.

Best game I agree, Best Innovation I agree, Best Visual I agree, Best Audio I agree, Best Hardware is a toss up but I can go along with it, Best Online I agree and Best Developer I agree. The only one I disagree with is best publisher. Given that the only game they published that I played this year was Fable 2 and it was awful. EA should have won that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

According to our friends at Wikipedia MS Game Studios actually published all of the following this year:

* Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
    * Lost Odyssey
    * Ninja Gaiden 2
    * Too Human
    * Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
    * Infinite Undiscovery (Co-published with Square Enix)
    * Fable 2
    * Scene It? Box Office Smash
    * Gears of War 2
    * Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
    * Lips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

EA should get best publisher 2008 for turning themselves around and funding fresh fun games. Sure many of the good games published by MS and Sony are sequels, whereas EA's good games are not; Spore, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space. Perhaps those games weren't for everyone though. (I did just finish Mirror's Edge so EA are in my good books at the moment.)

All the free content for Burnout Paradise is another plus for EA/Criterion also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yeah, but LBP is fecking brilliantly and comfortably the best game of a year in which innovation has been lacking.

what's innovative?
    it's just a set of tools,
    Is it that it's a side scroller with reasonable physics? Gish was free, is old and was better.
    for €60 euro it's a complete waste and not really a game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mayordenis wrote: »
    what's innovative?
    it's just a set of tools,
    Is it that it's a side scroller with reasonable physics? Gish was free, is old and was better.
    for €60 euro it's a complete waste and not really a game at all.
    Thats your fault for buying a new release title.

It's my fault that it's not a game? negative
    It's the devs fault.

• Advertisement

Its is your opinion tough and lets face it millions disagree.

I got this free with my PS3-I think I will keep LBP now just to see what all the fuss is about.

noodler wrote: »
    Its is your opinion tough and lets face it millions disagree.

I got this free with my PS3-I think I will keep it now just to see what all the fuss is about.

actually the millions who didn't buy this ps3 must have I would guess agree that it's not worth buying.
    It's been fairly lascklustre with regards sales.
    I guess a few other copped it.

This PS3? Are you talking about a bigger issue? You know I was talking about LBP?

Ah well, go be angry somewhere else.

If you want to talk about the millions who didn't buy something......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

mayordenis wrote: »
    It's my fault that it's not a game? negative
    It's the devs fault.

That's really funny. I haven't touched the tools, but have spent more time playing LBP since its release than any other game. There's more 'game' in its little finger than a lot of others could hope for.

You sound like you don't really know anything about the game.

Anyway, it's deserving of the awards. It's really kind of wonderful in a very literal sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i was shocked when i see lots prizes for LBP but never expect this big from the well known EDGE.a sim-version of a side-scrolling action game - never any type of the sims games float my boat,i know i will get bored after a few hours.simply as an action game (old) gamer,like i said before,any megaman will take away my money than this LBP.the trailers of LBP made me fall asleep!

one day i will try it and see if it deserves the crown of 2008,until then ,EDGE lost my respect as a good gaming magazine - no matter how good is LBP,it is a sims game and sims game dont get this kinda treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

seraphimvc wrote: »
    i was shocked when i see lots of LBP,a sim-version of a side-scrolling action game - never any type of the sims games float my boat,i know i will get bored after a few hours.simply as an action game (old) gamer,like i said before,any megaman will take away my money than this LBP.the trailers of LBP made me fall asleep!

one day i will try it and see if it deserves the crown of 2008,until then ,EDGE lost my respect as a good gaming magazine - no matter how good is LBP,it is a sims game and sims game dont get this kinda treatment.

What is a 'sim'game exactly. I have no idea what you are talking about!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And hark, the "hardcore fanbois" wake!

Don't do that. Stating you like a game doesn't make you a fanboy.

LookingFor wrote: »
    That's really funny. I haven't touched the tools, but have spent more time playing LBP since its release than any other game. There's more 'game' in its little finger than a lot of others could hope for.

You sound like you don't really know anything about the game.

Anyway, it's deserving of the awards. It's really kind of wonderful in a very literal sense.

if you want to avoid talking about the tools in the game and jsut go for the platforming then fine.
    I'll say this and i've yet to hear anyone say otherwise, New Super Mario Bros. which was released in 2006 on the DS is a far superior game and much more fun.

I've played the **** out of LBP - it isn't much of a game, I also stand by my comment that gish is a better platformed.

Game of the year? then it's been a **** year, which it hasn't. Innovation isn't cutesy graphics and right stick arm waggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Why did Xbox360 win best hardware? It's a piece of crap.

• Advertisement

the best hardware category all over was a complete failure.
    what was hte point of it?

Otacon wrote: »
    What is a 'sim'game exactly. I have no idea what you are talking about!? :confused:

so u have never heard of
    sim city
    the sims
    sim earth
    civilization
    populous
    black & white
    settlers

????

there is no need to be so pedantic. u know exactly wat a 'sim' game is, LBP is a sim game with the patented twist.

silvine wrote: »
    Why did Xbox360 win best hardware? It's a piece of crap.

see my previous post about edge bum licking. they have to keep everyone on their side and they do this by going through spates of arse licking whichever company for 4-5 months... MS just landed its ring in the right timeframe

Jazzy wrote: »
    there is no need to be so pedantic. u know exactly wat a 'sim' game is, LBP is a sim game with the patented twist.
    The 'sim' comment also came from someone who hasn't even played the gorramn game. Go figure. So I don't see Otacon being a pedant - it's not a sim game. It's a platformer.

You run. You jump across stuff. You collect bubbles. You run and jump some more.

Except this platformer has online multiplayer, a damn fine and powerful level creator and for many people is just plain fun. I don't think the fact that Sackboy is cute and that you can wave their arms around is what people are considering innovative. I does help though!

Instead of just hating on a particular game, why aren't people putting forth what they'd rather see at the top spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

GothPunk wrote: »

Instead of just hating on a particular game, why aren't people putting forth what they'd rather see at the top spot?

Cos there was no "innovations" this year.

The wii didnt move from gimmick to serious games machine with clever controls.

The xbox was just a poor pc with some decent shooting games.

The ps3 is a befuddled mess.

LBP is a DS game tbh i reckon it would be awesome on a DS with the same level of user creation and online play that it has. its not a game that a machine like the ps3 should be extolling its virtues. Its like a quad core quad gt 280 playing solitaire in 3d!!!!!!

Its a 2d platformer ffs.

Been a great year for the dead and extinct pc gamer tho.

Edge choosing almost all british companies is pretty much par for the course with them.

Thought havoks new engine may have gained a merit.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Gears of War 2's online play is plagued with lag issues, how did it ever get anywhere near there?

Horrible lag issues in that game along with SSHD make it much less of an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Another here who was completely underwhelmed with Little Big Planet.

The creation stuff is very good if you're into sitting down and fiddling with it. The game itself is just a platformer at the end of the day and there have been better platformers.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cos there was no "innovations" this year.

Have you played Valkyria Chronicles? That game has pretty much re-invented SRPGs with it's battle system. I know this is perhaps a game a lot of people won't care for, but reinventing an entire genre within gaming *is* innovation.

As for LBP and 'innovation', what's not innovative about an online multiplayer platformer that allows you create and share your own levels? The thing is pretty powerful - with people making working calculators or levels like Azure Palace. Bringing complex level creation to consoles is innovation. I haven't used FarCry 2's level editor so I can't comment on that game.

I also can't see the DS running a version of LBP that would let you do half the stuff LBP PS3 can do. Do DS carts have enough free memory to save user levels, or your own levels? Maybe the DSi, because that has internal storage. I've played Pokemon online - you don't want to go through the sluggish DS online multiplayer experience in a platformer. Don't see the DS handling the level of physics that LBP on PS3 has, something which certainly adds another degree of complexity and fun to the game.

You don't actually sound like you've played LBP by thinking it could work in a similar fashion on DS or by calling it a '2D platformer'.

I think there were plenty of small innovations in software this year, which in the gaming world I think is how things usually move. Mirror's Edge (First Person Platformer in which you're rewarded for not shooting anyone), The World Ends With You (Adds so much to RPGs it's a shame not enough people have played a DS game with the amount of new gameplay ideas it has), Patapon (created a whole new sub-genre of rhythm game meets strategy game)... and of course LBP and Spore introducing the 'Play, Create, Share' concept.

What is it that you'd like to see? An art-game? A new genre of game entirely? An RPG where every single little thing you do impacts upon what comes next in the story and has 100 different endings?

Things are always going to move more slowly in the gaming world (apart from new hardware driving innovation of course) - by and large gamers want fun and familiar things. Companies know this and take smaller risks because of it. Sony and EA took risks with some of the games released this year so I think it's nice to see them commended for that.
    Another here who was completely underwhelmed with Little Big Planet.

The creation stuff is very good if you're into sitting down and fiddling with it. The game itself is just a platformer at the end of the day and there have been better platformers.
    Can I ask if you played LBP in multiplayer, online or with friends? I think that's where the game really shines and where most of the praise for the game comes from.

GothPunk wrote: »

i dont hate it. i like it.
    ive played better this year though

Jazzy wrote: »
    i dont hate it. i like it.
    ive played better this year though

Oh that was directed at you, it was a general statement. I'm guessing that the OP would like to see Fallout 3 in the place of LBP, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing that game yet :pac: I don't expect everyone to like LBP, or anything that I like for that matter. I just think that people can do better then 'It's crap... but I haven't actually played it', or 'It's not innovative, but I'm not going to clarify what that means or suggest something better.' You stated that you have a problem with Edge kissing ass, which I can't really comment on having not read a lot of their stuff. Like a lot of people I just like other peoples lists of things. It is also nice to see my favourite game this year on said list. Out of interest, what did you think was better than LBP? I'm just thinking that maybe I missed some games this year.

I'm also interested to see what the standard for innovation actually is. Like if you state that you think a particular *thing* was fresh and fun, but then someone else states 'That's not innovative!', then what the bloody hell is? Guard dogs that shoot bees out of their mouths?

• Advertisement

nah wouldnt give it to fallout 3. bioshock was better.
    its a hard one to call. gta4 was class

Advertisement