Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edges top british things of 2008

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Jazzy wrote: »
    nah wouldnt give it to fallout 3. bioshock was better.
    its a hard one to call. gta4 was class
    I'm still playing Bioshock actually! On PC... so I've had long enough. Have you played System Shock 2?

Now GTA4 I loved also, glad to see it on this list too. (Hoping Sony's comment 'Nothing is exclusive' means what I think it means about GTAIV DLC). If you like RPGs at all try out Valkyria Chronicles, it's really very good but perhaps not a game for everyone. Good thing there's a demo on PSN. If I wasn't having so much fun playing LBP that game would be my PS3 game of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cos there was no "innovations" this year.

The wii didnt move from gimmick to serious games machine with clever controls.

The xbox was just a poor pc with some decent shooting games.

The ps3 is a befuddled mess.

LBP is a DS game tbh i reckon it would be awesome on a DS with the same level of user creation and online play that it has. its not a game that a machine like the ps3 should be extolling its virtues. Its like a quad core quad gt 280 playing solitaire in 3d!!!!!!

Its a 2d platformer ffs.

Been a great year for the dead and extinct pc gamer tho.

Edge choosing almost all british companies is pretty much par for the course with them.

Thought havoks new engine may have gained a merit.........

What are you even doing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Jazzy wrote: »
    there is no need to be so pedantic. u know exactly wat a 'sim' game is, LBP is a sim game with the patented twist.

Apologies if I came across as pedantic. I have indeed heard of 'sim' games, however, I thought the definition that was being used was different when LBP was mentioned.

LBP is a brilliant game. The platforming is a bit 'float'-y but the co-op element is very engaging and fun. The level creation is deserving of the 'innovation' title imo, because it is not only a very good implementation of a feature that only a few games have, it is also very robust while being easy to use.

Even players who do not want to use the creation tool have a whole host of excellent (and not so excellent) user-created levels to choose to expand the life of the game.

As for EGDE's ass-licking, it is one of the reason's I don't buy the magazine anymore. However, they have always been about the developer's, especially English ones. I came as no surprise that they awarded MM best developer. If, it encourages more devs, even English ones, to make interesting games, like LBP, then I can only think of it as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

GothPunk wrote: »
    and of course LBP and Spore introducing the 'Play, Create, Share' concept.

Sorry just looking for a bit of clarification here, are you saying that LBP and Spore created this concept or are you saying its a first for Sony or what?

Vegeta wrote: »
    Sorry just looking for a bit of clarification here, are you saying that LBP and Spore created this concept or are you saying its a first for Sony or what?

Well I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a game yet that let's you 'Play, Create, Share' on the scale that Spore and LBP do, in a way that is accessible to pretty much everyone. It's easy to create and share in Spore and fairly easy to create and publish levels with LBP.

If you mean who did it first, well Spore was released first and was also in development for longer, but I think it's a stronger point to include both Spore and LBP as the games that introduced 'Play, Create, Share', 'Game 3.0' (or whatever buzzword people are using) for the first time.

Yes Quake, Unreal, The Sims 2, Far Cry 2, Half Life 1 & 2, Second Life and Oblivion all have mods and/or user generated content, but I doubt anybody here would argue that it's as easy, accessible and fun to create content for those games as it is in Spore and LBP. That's what I see as innovative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Oh that was directed at you, it was a general statement. I'm guessing that the OP would like to see Fallout 3 in the place of LBP, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing that game yet :pac: I don't expect everyone to like LBP, or anything that I like for that matter. I just think that people can do better then 'It's crap... but I haven't actually played it', or 'It's not innovative, but I'm not going to clarify what that means or suggest something better.' You stated that you have a problem with Edge kissing ass, which I can't really comment on having not read a lot of their stuff. Like a lot of people I just like other peoples lists of things. It is also nice to see my favourite game this year on said list. Out of interest, what did you think was better than LBP? I'm just thinking that maybe I missed some games this year.

I'm also interested to see what the standard for innovation actually is. Like if you state that you think a particular *thing* was fresh and fun, but then someone else states 'That's not innovative!', then what the bloody hell is? Guard dogs that shoot bees out of their mouths?

honey i was just saying
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    one day i will try it and see if it deserves the crown of 2008,until then ,EDGE lost my respect as a good gaming magazine - no matter how good is LBP,it is a sims game and sims game dont get this kinda treatment.

a game failed to seduce me is just ,failed:D

btw,if ye are talkin about RPG,Lost odyssey made me wanna get a x360 this xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Otacon wrote: »
    Apologies if I came across as pedantic. I have indeed heard of 'sim' games, however, I thought the definition that was being used was different when LBP was mentioned.

LBP is a brilliant game. The platforming is a bit 'float'-y but the co-op element is very engaging and fun. The level creation is deserving of the 'innovation' title imo, because it is not only a very good implementation of a feature that only a few games have, it is also very robust while being easy to use.

Even players who do not want to use the creation tool have a whole host of excellent (and not so excellent) user-created levels to choose to expand the life of the game.

As for EGDE's ass-licking, it is one of the reason's I don't buy the magazine anymore. However, they have always been about the developer's, especially English ones. I came as no surprise that they awarded MM best developer. If, it encourages more devs, even English ones, to make interesting games, like LBP, then I can only think of it as a good thing.
    now i am more confused than ever.

as an action game,i cant see the selling point at all.*wave my 10years old megaman 1 catridge*

as co-op........well you get that...........why would i spend time on this if i am looking for co-op fun?

so i guess what makes it good is the creative fun part *wave 'the sims' card* - which is the reason i think this game is about.so LBP = a product of ''a 'sims' version of action game with simple jump and run and collect balls.''.

let's just say i dont like sims thats all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yes Quake, Unreal, The Sims 2, Far Cry 2, Half Life 1 & 2, Second Life and Oblivion all have mods and/or user generated content, but I doubt anybody here would argue that it's as easy, accessible and fun to create content for those games as it is in Spore and LBP. That's what I see as innovative.

That's cool

I would definitely argue the point of "introducing" level editing (excitebike on the NES had a level editor didn't it :D ) and publishing as that is pretty old at this stage

but you make a good point about accessibility.

Personally I think the the Innovation category above (Edges that is) is a load of me bollix.
    LBP, is questionable, it takes known concepts and does them well. Innovative? Maybe at best
    NXE, what.....the.....fcuk. What is innovative about that, they even stole the Mii concept. Maybe its the fact they managed to shoe horn in 2 full slides of advertising and still charge for live
    Left 4 Dead, while this is a fun game (played through 3/4 of it at a LAN last week) I fail to see the innovation, An FPS with a very strong co-op element, zombies as enemies and just a good game. If anyone can shed light on the innovation in this then please let me have it as I just don't see it.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Personally I think the the Innovation category above (Edges that is) is a load of me bollix.
    LBP, is questionable, it takes known concepts and does them well. Innovative? Maybe at best
    NXE, what.....the.....fcuk. What is innovative about that, they even stole the Mii concept. Maybe its the fact they managed to shoe horn in 2 full slides of advertising and still charge for live
    Left 4 Dead, while this is a fun game (played through 3/4 of it at a LAN last week) I fail to see the innovation, An FPS with a very strong co-op element, zombies as enemies and just a good game. If anyone can shed light on the innovation in this then please let me have it as I just don't see it.

Great points, this is what I'm talking about really. Are we not expecting too much when we expect a game to be innovative? Is a game supposed to revolutionise gaming altogether, just a certain genre of gaming, or is it enough for a game to try a few new things and perfect/refresh a genre or mechanic we've been used to for a long time?

I think Left4Dead got the innovation award for the 'AI Director' game mechanic. I don't know how much use it is though (girlfriend has it for me for Xmas :))

Perhaps NXE got it because it added stuff like copying full games to the HDD and 8 player cross game chat? I don't have a 360 but that's what I've heard gamers were happy about. I do think that I expect more from hardware or firmware innovations though, so I don't know if NXE is really that big of a step to win an innovation award. Then again, it does completely change the interface of the console as well as adding new features, so maybe Edge are commended MS for giving their console such a large software refresh about half way into the consoles cycle.

Advertisement