Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Man's Speech - Public Speaking Courses?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Got asked to be a best man for a pal of mine at his wedding, yippee! anyway, not too confident about the whole public speaking thang! was wondering if anyone knew if there were any courses or anything like toastmasters about the town i could go to, in order to hone my skills? Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

1. google.com

2. "best man's speech"

3. copy

4. paste

5. repeat

6. ****

7. PROFIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Just get b*llixed drunk... Works everytime.

You may be talking incoherent gibberish, but it will be confident gibberish.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Not sure about any courses. I've been a best man and it is tough going - I was sick thinking about it. But it was great in the end. Just sit down in loads of time and write your speech. Try and think about funny stories about the groom - not about the time ye got hammered and banged some Russian prostitutes on a ship down the docks - but good funny stories and then base the speech around them. You could also talk about meeting the bride for the first time, yadda, yadda. Everyone at the wedding wants you to be funny so try to think of it that way - if you give them the opportunity to laugh and/or applaud they will do it. Make sure you pause for people to allow them time to applaud/laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speak slow and keep it under 3 mins. Drinking before will make it worse.
    Have it practised so you pretty much know it by heart.
    m2c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

You could get some help with your public speaking from the toastmasters - http://www.toastmasters.ie/ they have a pretty good track record in improving people's "just a few words"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

You could get some help with your public speaking from the toastmasters - http://www.toastmasters.ie/ they have a pretty good track record in improving people's "just a few words"

cheers for the link. they seem to have local chapter. anyone ever been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

biko wrote: »
    Speak slow and keep it under 3 mins. Drinking before will make it worse.
    Have it practised so you pretty much know it by heart.
    m2c

That pretty well covers it.

Unless you are uproariously funny, most of the crowd will want you to stfu after a minute or two. Don't take any bored faces you see as a personal insult! People just want to get on with stuffing their faces & getting pished.

I seriously doubt that you need coaching on this. Take your time, speak clearly & it'll all be over much quicker than you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

This lady gives confidence building lessons for public speaking.
    087 xxx <PM for info>

Advertisement