Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Sides

• 16-12-2008 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

It is just myself and my mother for Christmas Dinner this year. She has been through an awful time this year so I have decided to take the pressure off and cook the xmas dinner.

I'll just buy a turkey crown cos there's only two of us.

Now - does anyone have any unusual and gorgeous recipes for christmas 'sides'? Anything you can suggest so that my mother doesn't get served limp carrots with her turkey, would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance everyone.xxxxx;)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Red Cabbage? I don't have a specific recipe but it's nice if you sweeten it slightly.

Traditional brussel sprouts are really good if just par boiled and then fried up with lardons and lots of black pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We usually have:

Brussel Sprouts
    Mushy Peas
    Roast Parsnips
    Celery
    Carrotts
    and the spud options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

olaola wrote: »
    We usually have:

Brussel Sprouts
    Mushy Peas
    Roast Parsnips
    Celery
    Carrotts
    and the spud options.

Thanks a mil. But I meant - is there any unusual variations when cooking these or anything you can add to them to make them different?

Also, what do you mean by spud options? Any cooking tips? thanks.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I toss my sprouts in a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and little bits off the baked ham,

I cut the carrots into little sticks, not too thin, and boil them until just tender. I drain them and put them into a dish while I sautee chopped onion in butter, then put the carrots back into the pot and stir (you can boil the carrots the day before and just do the rest on the day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Tri wrote: »

Also, what do you mean by spud options? Any cooking tips? thanks.:)

We have mash - loads of butter & cream (heated before you add) and made in a mouli. Roasties - par boiled and bashed/dried out in the pot. Get the gooiest fat you can to roast them in. The tin from the turkey is perfect.

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas dinner! I don't want to mess with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

For truly delicious carrots, try this.. Peel them and cut them in diagonal chunks about 2 cm thick. Three med/large carrots will do the trick for two.
    Melt a knob of butter in a medium sized pot, and have some boiling water ready (in the kettle), throw the chunks in and swirl them in the butter for one minute, then pour boiling water over them, but don't submerse them fully, you want the tops of the carrots above the water line. Throw in a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt. Put a lid on the pan and shake it up a bit then leave on a medium heat, takes about 18 mins. Take the lid off with about 5mins left and top up with a tiny bit of boiling water if the pan goes dry too early.
    You can chop a little parsley or dill and throw it in halfway through if you like.

Spoon them onto the plate and pour any remaining juice over them.

Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dordali

For a fabulous mash. Boil 1 Sweet potato, 1 turnip and regular potatoes (1 per person). Since there is only one of you, half a turnip would probably do. Then mash them all together....Add loads of real butter, then put in the oven ...topped with more butter for about half an hour. Amazing and very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

A bit late Tri but if you have carrot batons with thyme and garlic and roast them in olive oil!

Advertisement