Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote for a tutorial

Options
  • 16-12-2008 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I saw quite a few posts recently on setting up DSL on a Cisco 800 series, which got me thinking I should put together a config / troubleshoot & verify guide.

Then it got me thinking some more, and I'd like to see what what guys would like to see most in a tutorial from me. Bear in mind my work will be mostly Cisco specific..

So, the options:

* DSL configuration & troubleshooting guide
    * General IOS tips and tricks
    * Brief guide to traffic captures (wireshark, tshark, tcpdump)

Or if there's anything else you would want to see, let me know!

What kind of tutorial would you like to see next? 11 votes

DSL Config
    0% 0 votes
    IOS tips and tricks
    9% 1 vote
    Traffic capture totiral
    18% 2 votes
    Other
    72% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'd like to see an IOS tips and tricks tutorial, the equipment I work on at work has a similar enough command set to IOS so I'd imagine I'd get some use out of it.

I was thinking about writing up something for Wireshark myself as I use it quite a lot, a quick and dirty guide to traffic captures or something along those lines. Perhaps I'll do it over Christmas once I have all my drinking engagements out of the way this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Good idea Ruaidhri.

Wireshark sounds good rmacm, fairly powerful tool there.

I've got a complete guide to setting up and installing Asterisk on a virtual machine and doing features, such as call conferencing, voice mail etc. I was thinking of adding it to the thread as well. It's quite a cool piece of software.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Good idea Ruaidhri.

Wireshark sounds good rmacm, fairly powerful tool there.

I've got a complete guide to setting up and installing Asterisk on a virtual machine and doing features, such as call conferencing, voice mail etc. I was thinking of adding it to the thread as well. It's quite a cool piece of software.

Go for it, another thing I can add to my Christmas reading list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Sure whatever options has the highest votes by Friday gets my attention :)

I cant guarantee I'll get it done for a bit, but I'll do my best. I'm going to assume that you guys want the following for the tutorial (apologies for my dodgy spelling earlier) :

* Ins and Outs of TCP/UDP protocols
    * Ins and Outs of Wireshark GUI
    * Tips and tricks with tshark (CLI) and tcpdump (CLI)

Like I said, feel free to make a wish list, I'll see what I can get through

Ruaidhri wrote: »
    Sure whatever options has the highest votes by Friday gets my attention :)

I cant guarantee I'll get it done for a bit, but I'll do my best. I'm going to assume that you guys want the following for the tutorial (apologies for my dodgy spelling earlier) :

* Ins and Outs of TCP/UDP protocols
    * Ins and Outs of Wireshark GUI
    * Tips and tricks with tshark (CLI) and tcpdump (CLI)

Like I said, feel free to make a wish list, I'll see what I can get through

I'll write a qucik and dirty guide to Wireshark myself if you want to concentrate on the other bits of it? I use Wireshark quite a bit at work for various things so I'm reasonably familiar with it. I'll try and get it done over Chirstmas (although that's not a solid promise).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Despite my crappy spelling, you guys want a traffic capture tutorial. I'll start putting one together, and I'll sync up with rmacm and hope to get you some holiday reading :)

Give me a pm if you want to chat about it, I'll be drinking later on but I'll be online for most of the day tomorrow so that's your best bet to catch me.

I started writing a tutorial on Wireshark today so I'll try and finish it off by the end of the week and post it up. I'm not working on it constantly and I'm tending to wander away from my laptop for hours on end some times so the end of the week isn't a firm commitment.

Advertisement