Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 years ago Sunday..

Options
  • 16-12-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

Pan American Airways Flight 103 exploded over the quiet town of Lockerbie, Scotland.

Are there any commeration documentaries on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

20 years, hard to believe it, it really doesn't seem that long.

I haven't heard of any progammes being scheduled, I do remember something being on the BBC on the 10th anniversary alright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember the Lockerbie disaster - hard to believe that it's been 20 years. It was a bad few years for aviation, the late 80s, you had a series of crashes - the British Midlands flight at Kegworth, England happened shortly after Lockerbie.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I remember being pissed off about some movie I was watching being cancelled or interuppted by the news, or something along those lines. No idea what it might have been though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Guys,

Now Libya have paid the compo to the families I think the British and American govmt's think this is ' closed '. Indeed Libya are now in the ' happy clappy ' family of American poodles instead of the ' Axis of evil '.

Hense no media coverage

( call me cynical if you wish ! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

It's a long time ago now. One thing to remember, if the North Atlantic routes were over Ireland that night. It could easily have been a village or indeed a city in Ireland. Something to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

There was a Discovery Channel mayday documentary made, I have the DVD

Its reasonably good, albeit a small bit repeditive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

There was a documentry on this subject advertised on one of the Discovery channels, can't remember which one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I recall listening to BBC Radio 1 at the time and John Peel was on-air at the time. He had a gravity in his voice while he was making the annoucement on air and informing people to avoid the area. I think that Lockerbie is (or was) on the main North-south route into Scotland. Was the days before Sky News!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

It's a long time ago now. One thing to remember, if the North Atlantic routes were over Ireland that night. It could easily have been a village or indeed a city in Ireland. Something to think about.

I remember seeing an article in one of the papers around the time... Going by flight time etc, Clipper 103 would have been over or near Ashbourne at the time.

That documentery about 10 years back was on the BBC IIRC. One of the most harrowing scenes that i remember was the traffic controller calling over his supervisor "I'm getting multiple returns off Clipper 103". Then the call. "Clipper 103 come in please....Clipper 103 come in please......Clipper 103..come in please"

Advertisement