Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D90

• 16-12-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I just ordered one;) After 18 happy months with my D40, it was time for an upgrade. Anyone here that has one? What are your experiences with it? Do you use the HD Video function? What is the high ISO performance like? Would you buy it again if you had the choice?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nikon never really sold the d90 to, I can't see the jump in price for the features you get, suppose I made the same issue with d80...HD video is a bit naff IMO, its a photo camera, not a video camera... tack to the y :D. Tho on the plus side you've reasonable noise contril and the abilty to use a 500mm 1.8 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I love my D90. High ISO performance is fantastic. I don't use the video function much but its nice to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

i got one

im still pretty much a noob to the other settings but i promised myself i will try and learn them.

the camera is great...photo quality is superb, is quick, it is easy to get use to and it rocks. the video function is handy and i like the manual focus - some people don't, oh well. A little trick to get autofocus for video is press the shutter down half way when in live view and then just click record and that way you dont have to focus from the start :P

but yea the camera is great im still learning everyday (my 1st dslr) and the video is handy...real handy. The quality of the video is not the best but it looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

..........and the abilty to use a 500mm 1.8 :pac:
    Thats some max arpeture on a 500mm..... Sure your not on about a nifty fifty??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

landyman wrote: »
    Thats some max arpeture on a 500mm..... Sure your not on about a nifty fifty??

no....

well maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Thanks for the replies guys! Have the good auld 50mm 1.8 ordered as well, one thing that I never liked about the D40, the lack of the autofocus motor.

But apart from that, loved my D40, great little camera.

personally i woulda jumped for the old d300, iso is same same but other features galore...i'm pushing into d700 i think...biblical iso performance for price

D700 is a great camera, had the chance to try one for an afternoon recently, was quite impressed I have to say, but still to expensive for me at the mom.

Hopefully,there will be a 1300€ full frame Camera in 18-24 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

How would you rate the D90 against the Canon 40d or 50d?
    Are they at a level above (judging by price difference between D90 and 50D) or would they be in the same beracket?

richieg wrote: »
    How would you rate the D90 against the Canon 40d or 50d?
    Are they at a level above (judging by price difference between D90 and 50D) or would they be in the same beracket?

i think the ol canon wins that one...d90 vd 450d is a fair fight, the 50d and d300 are more comprable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Why do you think that?
    What does the 50D do that the D90 does not do or does worse?
    I cuirrently have a D40 original whichis why I am looking at a D90. Also all my memory is SD. I do not have an interest in the HD video as I have a sanyo HD camera

Is it hard to change over from a layout/menu point of view?

being a nikon head its rare i'll defend a canon but d90 is such a small step up from a d40 I would urge you you save another bit and go for a d300, difference is huge, the viedo on the d90 is VERY soft and lacking in resolution, its comprable to the first gen canon hd cams, pretty poor by todays standard and can't see a practical use for the video on anything other than hd youtube

Ok, my D 90 is ordered anyway, so I'm just curios, what advantages has the d300 compared to the d90?

I paid 800 for my D90 body, whilst the d300 still sells for 1350. Thats a difference of 550 € .......or a nice tokina 11-16 f2.8;)

* D300 has better ergonomics - this is far superior than the D90
    * D300 is a semi-pro camera and has the quick adjusting switches and buttons
    * D300 is fully seal against dust and water
    * D300 has 51 AF points against the D90's 11 points
    * D300 can do 6fps but I would be happy with the D90's 4.5fps for now.
    * D300 has a better metering system
    * D300 has a larger buffer

Ok, you have some pointys there. But I'm not a semi pro..... yet.....and I don't think spending money on a semi pro camera will make me one overnight.

One of the main reasons for me, to actually buy a D90, was the possibility to use a wider range of lenses, due to the built in autofocus motor of the D90.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hellolaura

Hey. I'm just wondering is the d90 a good start off DLSR camera? because it seems like a pretty great camera and i wanna start work on my portfolio for college.
    Woulds yous recommend it to me? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If it's within your budget then it would be fine. It is a middle of the range for Nikon DSLR's

The D40 & D60 are the entry level models.

IMHO the line up of bodies from Nikon & Canon are all very good quality products. Just have to look at what suits you & feels right in your hand (and in your wallet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

How does the ISO performance compare to the D80?

(The only thing disappointing me about my D80 at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Irelandseye2010

i also need to update my D40,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

efla wrote: »
    How does the ISO performance compare to the D80?

(The only thing disappointing me about my D80 at the moment)

ISO performance on the D90 is excellent but I've got no experience with a D80 so I don't know how they compare.

Dxomark

• Advertisement

Compared to the D40, the D90 is in a different league, when it comes to high ISO. I'd say, you get uesable pictures up to 1600 ISO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cupart

The only thing I have against the D90 is actually the movie mode and Live View which I find useless...

If I had wanted a video recorder device I would have bought a video camera. Holding the D90 (quite heavy) to use the video function (throught the live view) or taking photos is not very comfortable... Also, the D90 can't AF while recording... Why pay extra for this?

I bought mine on impulse in Singapore (to replace my old faithfull D70) so I got it quite cheap back in October of last year...

Anyhow, I'm VERY happy with my D90 and you have more or less the same functions as in the more expensive D300...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The D90 at launch cost pretty much the same as the D80 did when it launched so "paying extra" for the video function is debatable.

I agree on the Live View AF System, which is very slow. When I bought my D90, I thought, that I would use Live View a lot......but I think I only used once to try it, found the AF to be dead slow, and never used it again.

Haven't really used the video function either, but some videos made with the D90 are quite impressive.

Have a look here

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Nikon%20D90

Stephen wrote: »
    The D90 at launch cost pretty much the same as the D80 did when it launched so "paying extra" for the video function is debatable.

I was waiting for that :D but of course I must disagree.

They (i.e. Nikon) should have left out the video and the live view function which would have given us a lower price on the body which means that they could have thrown in a better lense in the kit instead or upgrade something else.

Plastic mount on a Nikkor 18-105mm VR lens seems a bit like a joke to me when bundled with their mid priced camera...

Hi Cosmo K,
    Cosmo K wrote: »
    Haven't really used the video function either, but some videos made with the D90 are quite impressive.

Have a look here

http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:Nikon%20D90

The actual quality of the individual frames are top notch, BUT at 24 fps I find it way to choppy and it also seems like when you move the camera that the top part moved before the bottom part. It's almost like a wavy effect...

Advertisement