Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA gives in, joins Steam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Spear wrote: »
    Do you realise what this means????

Its only a matter of time before we can start rolling over eachother with mamoth tanks over steam.

A truly glorious day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you realise what this means????

Its only a matter of time before we can start rolling over eachother with mamoth tanks over steam.

A truly glorious day.

I saw it as them admitting that neither their recent daliance with Securom or their crappy EA Downloader worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Spear wrote: »
    I saw it as them admitting that neither their recent daliance with Securom or their crappy EA Downloader worked.

I really would see it as them admitting that the EA downloader "service" is rubbish. Im sure it works out cheaper for them to jump on the Steam bandwagon than trying to support/maintain their downloader service.
    (why else would they change)

I doubt EA will stop using securom on Steam anytime soon: Crysis version released on Steam stll had secrom embedded in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What is secrom?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its a quite aggressive copy protection system which can limit the number of times you can install a game, require online activation and runs in the background - stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stephen wrote: »
    Its a quite aggressive copy protection system which can limit the number of times you can install a game, require online activation and runs in the background - stuff like that.

Its odd that Steam does the same, just without the limited installs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Its odd that Steam does the same, just without the limited installs.

Possibly to stop people simply copying the executable from the Steam one to the non-Steam one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What is secrom?

Pure diluted ******ry.
    It requires you to be online to install any game that uses it.
    It restricts the number of installs you can have(At any one time, or overall).
    Some require you to be online to uninstall.
    You can't use a no-CD crack, so your discs will get scratched from choping and changing.

Basically a pain in the arse.

Advertisement