Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Terminal 2 [Merged]

• 30-06-2008 2:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Regarding the new terminal at DA - it seems to be literally flying up atm but will it really improve passenger experience at DA all that much or is it just fancy wallpaper being put over serious cracks with the Airport's general infrastructure? Do you think the terminal design is acceptable? Is it big enough? Will it meet the needs of passengers that are quite frankly fed up with their experience of DA? Will it really make us see Dublin Airport as anything more then a national embarrasment after it is finished?

Anyway - as I say swift progress being made

T2cladding.jpg

More photos here http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/TDA/Image_Bank/t2_construction_gallery.html

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm sure this has already been covered but what is happening to the current pier c, looking at images it seems new terminal is right on top of pier c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I'm sure this has already been covered but what is happening to the current pier c, looking at images it seems new terminal is right on top of pier c.

It is - in fact you could say we are losing a pier to build another pier which must, surely, eliminate somewhat the benefits of T2??? There might be more passenger space in T2 main building but the number of new aircraft stands will actually not be as much when you factor in building over pier C. I cant understand that myself. :confused:

Says it all

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/aerial_view_1.jpg

Net benefit - marginal as Pier E is only a little bit longer then Pier C was.

I actually wonder is it a coincidence that the DAA are applying now for an extension to the new Pier D already??

Excellent image.

Does seem a bit strange all right and you are indeed correct re aircraft stands.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Excellent image.

Does seem a bit strange all right and you are indeed correct re aircraft stands.

Not only that wait till you hear this

---- apparently only the stands on the right hand side of Pier E on that image will be able to take wide bodied aircraft - thats only, what? 8 in total? Welcome to Ireland;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I said this before , it always seemed strange that the then newest part of the airport ( pier c ) has been knocked to build T2.

I was shot down by someone who said that pier c was badly designed because aircraft could only park one side of it, something that Ill be honest hadn't occured to me, I just knew that pier C was comfortable compared to the joke at piers A/B.

I still think the terminal is in the wrong place , I think there are other parties saying this too. Why build this next to the existing terminal so all the ground traffic is concentrated in the one place , why not where the Boot Inn is , and indeed where they ( DAA ) seem to have built a new apron.

Now I know there is the issue of the Metro ( if it ever gets built as this seems in doubt now ) but couldn't this be overcome.

The traffic getting into/out of the airport right now is horrible , think what this will be like with two terminals, and if DAA get the go ahead for the ' city ' they want ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The traffic situation is pretty dire right now, and the signage around the car park is awful too, no-one seems to know where to go.
    I still think the terminal is in the wrong place , I think there are other parties saying this too. Why build this next to the existing terminal so all the ground traffic is concentrated in the one place , why not where the Boot Inn is , and indeed where they ( DAA ) seem to have built a new apron.

Isn't that the McEvaddy land though? Yes it would have made sense to build out there - access could be provided from the N2, sadly that's now highly unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I think the overall design and layout of the airport is bad and I think the new terminal will only offer a marginal improvement - if even that.

And from a looks point of view the whole complex is a rotten eyesore - the people in DAA must have no eye for looks. I have to say I do like the look of the new terminal design but given the surroundings it's looks will probably be swallowed up in the overall complex's crappiness.

I know this has been mentioned before - but it might have been better to simply move the airport to a more central location (Mullingar or tullamore etc), build proper motorway and rail links to it and it would then serve a much larger catchment area.

They could have started from scratch - maybe get Lord Foster in to do the design, he seems to like doing airports.

dogmatix wrote: »
    I
    I know this has been mentioned before - but it might have been better to simply move the airport to a more central location (Mullingar or tullamore etc), build proper motorway and rail links to it and it would then serve a much larger catchment area.

The population centre of this country is Dublin, and if you look at the airport site on a map you can see that it is pretty well located with regard to transport links. Do the whole thing correctly & it should all function pretty well. In theory ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't care if it was an eyesore so long as it worked efficiently. Ever been to Geneva? Nothing special in terms of looks but it's a great airport to fly in & out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Have the made a start on the monorail yet that will link up the second terminal?

Have the made a start on the monorail yet that will link up the second terminal?

That's more of a Shelbyville idea... :D

• Advertisement

Will be sad to see pier C go, will be interested to see which airlines will use new terminal, I hope bmi will use it,and there business lounge is close by. Very handy at the moment.

What is the situation with the new rail service, will each terminal be served by a rail link, at one stage wasn't the rail link only going to go the airport entrance.

The metro will now go on to Swords but the Airport stop will be at the T1 coach park at the front.

BTW I know there is a connection to T1 via a pedestrian corridor from T2 but where does this one go on the right?

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T2_ext1.jpg

darkman2 wrote: »

BTW I know there is a connection to T1 via a pedestrian corridor from T2 but where does this one go on the right?

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T2_ext1.jpg

Do you mean the connection from T2 to the thingy with the escalator? That's going into the proposed T2 car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

peter1892 wrote: »
    The population centre of this country is Dublin, and if you look at the airport site on a map you can see that it is pretty well located with regard to transport links. Do the whole thing correctly & it should all function pretty well. In theory ;)

To be honest, I wouldn't care if it was an eyesore so long as it worked efficiently. Ever been to Geneva? Nothing special in terms of looks but it's a great airport to fly in & out of.

Oh my God are you insane. I work in Dublin airport and i've flown through Geneva 4 times and it gets worse every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Interesting image above. Love the BA 777. And the Aer Lingus 330's with the Harp on the fin. Looks like Ryanair are getting their longhaul fleet after all :D

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Oh my God are you insane. I work in Dublin airport and i've flown through Geneva 4 times and it gets worse every time.

Not insane, it's a well run efficient airport. I've only flown through it 3 times though... :rolleyes:

Apron6A.jpg

New Aircraft Parking Stands Handed Over

The second phase of the huge Apron 6 development at Dublin Airport was handed over last Friday, June 20.

Apron Phase 6A was constructed as part of the €2 billion Transforming Dublin Airport programme and is the largest apron development project undertaken in the history of the DAA/Aer Rianta. The new apron area is located beyond the cross wind runway, close to the Fire Station at Dublin Airport. It has parking spaces for up to 13 additional short haul aircraft or alternatively an extra six aircraft stands for larger long-haul planes.

In total, 95,000 square meters or 24 acres of concrete was used to build Apron 6A. The new apron area was built by Clare Civil Engineering, under the management of the DAA's airfield construction team. Phase 6A is one of three new apron areas being built close to the Fire Station at Dublin Airport.

Apron Phase 6B, which can be seen in the foreground of the above photograph, is scheduled to be completed in early August. When complete, it will deliver an extra two parking stands for short-haul aircraft. Apron 6C, and its eight new parking stands, became operational in April.

June 23, 2008

Terminal 1 extension

T1Xdawn.jpg

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T1X-over-ramp.jpg

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/map_TX1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Pier C, this morning. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

My biggest gripe was the destruction of Pier C.

In effect Pier C was a complete total and utter waste of money

Maybe I am wrong did its 'brief' existance have a net ROI for DAA ... ?

/I still have plenty of gripes about T2 ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Rather than build the new pier D half way to Belfast, would it not have made sense to build a new terminal ther, with it's own entrance road and even its own stop on the metro?

Pier D seems to be a new terminal built at a fraction of the cost (And why are there still portacibins for departure gates there?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Interesting image above. Love the BA 777. And the Aer Lingus 330's with the Harp on the fin. Looks like Ryanair are getting their longhaul fleet after all :D

Notice the 2 different shades of green on the aircraft? One with an EI shamrock and one with a harp. Think a graphic designer was having a bit of fun with the image.

Pic on flickr of new terminal now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34886552@N00/2658441544/sizes/o/

I drove near the airport today and it looks higher then the existing terminal but will be narrower. Bye Bye Pier C.......

Since we are losing Pier C why are they calling the new Pier - 'Pier E'? Should be Pier C.

Pic on flickr of new terminal now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34886552@N00/2658441544/sizes/o/

I drove near the airport today and it looks higher then the existing terminal but will be narrower. Bye Bye Pier C.......

Since we are losing Pier C why are they calling the new Pier - 'Pier E'? Should be Pier C.

I was thinking that this morning. the actual building looks a lot smaller than the artists impressions seem to suggest.

Have they issued an overview of the access roads yet?

I was thinking that this morning. the actual building looks a lot smaller than the artists impressions seem to suggest.

Have they issued an overview of the access roads yet?

I think in the pictures only half the back portion of the building's steel has been put up so far. The building will basically extend to the end of Pier C so roughly twice the width of what has been put up already.

If you go through the airport you can see the roads are being realligned to the right of the construction site on your way in. So wont be long till they shift the traffic to the front of the construction site. They have to do this because of the terminal bridge over what will be the access to T1 - basically this road will effectively go under T2.

Like this

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/971.jpg

P.S There is video to give you a better idea

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/departures_pt1.rm Departures 1

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/departures_pt2.rm Departures 2

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/arrivals_web.rm Arrivals

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sparrowcar wrote: »
    +1

Gevena has to be the most badly designed airports I've ever been to. Hate the place, just a shame that it's one of the more popular ones for getting to the alps.

If you go through the airport you can see the roads are being realligned to the right of the construction site on your way in. So wont be long till they shift the traffic to the front of the construction site. They have to do this because of the terminal bridge over what will be the access to T1 - basically this road will effectively go under T2.
    I noticed that this morning, that's why I asked. The road i was looking at seemed to be at 90degrees to the one we were driving on so i coudn't imagine how it was all going to shape up.

Useful info though, thanks.

I noticed that this morning, that's why I asked. The road i was looking at seemed to be at 90degrees to the one we were driving on so i coudn't imagine how it was all going to shape up.

Useful info though, thanks.

NP.

Here is a map of after construction is finished showing the completed road network and layout. It does look a bit confusing I have to say. Click on the image once to zoom in.

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/map_TX1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Still can't work out how arrivals and departures will be split. It looks like you check in on lower level , go up one level and that its where arrivals come out and then go up another level before you cross the T1 access road to get to the gate areas. Am I reading thsi right? Seems weird that arrivals and departures will mix.

Came across this good aerial pic by a poster on 'Airliners.net'

http://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/1372593/L/&width=1200&height=812&sok=&sort=&photo_nr=&prev_id=&next_id=

Check out the footprint of Pier E - looks longer then Pier D......are we going to get continuous travelators this time:o

• Advertisement

Advertisement