Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Terminal 2 [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Progress as of this week , sorry for the poor quality only quick camera phone snaps!
    19082008185.jpg
    19082008186.jpg
    19082008187.jpg

First bits of steel for Pier E went up down the far end of the site in the last picture the day i took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

They have kept a small part of pier c then I thought they would have demolished it completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thanks for the pics:)

Do you work in the Airport? If so can you say how long Pier E will be in relation to Pier D or take a guess from the site? I think Pier E looks like it will be longer and we all know what a walk it is to the end of Pier D! Though its remotness from the current terminal must also be taken into account.

I think they are only keeping parts of Pier C as a connection to T1.

Does anyone know what pier bmi British Midland are using at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It's a shame Terminal 2 is being built to such an crappy looking Terminal 1. It's also a shame that's it's being built in a space with practically NO space to expand (unless other facilities are demolished).

Terminal 2 does look quite nice in the artist's impressions, but I have a feeling the real thing will be no-where near as nice looking considering its surroundings.

As for a connection between the two terminals, they could go for the Gatwick option i.e they have a shuttle train connecting the two terminals, or they could have a shuttle bus. But knowing them, they'll expect even disabled people to take a walk between the two terminals on a non-existant pavement.

I look forward to seeing how they'll mess up this invaluable oppurtunity to improve our air transport.

Still, looks nice in the pictures though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

darkman2 wrote: »
    I think they are only keeping parts of Pier C as a connection to T1.
    I made this assumption too. Why only knock part of it?

Can't see the poiint of having a LGW style shuttle bus connection. While they are 2 seperate terminals they are right beside each other. And the corridor to Pier C is wide so can accomodate the golf buggies that are used by OCS (mobiliy assistance) to get to Pier D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

It's interesting I saw DUB from two different angles recently. I am a frequent ( 1-2 trips per month ) flyer on Business ( ie solo ). When you are travelling like this you tend to ignore the shortcomings , you are also shielded by lounges etc.

However recently I flew with a young child, I then saw DUB in a very different light. Frankly it's horrible ( lack of changing facilities/crowds etc )

Go to the A gates , the chances of finding a seat near your gate .... NIL

Then this weekend I few out of pier D for the first time, when you get over the route march to get there the pier itself feels nice and airy. It seems silly that to board the aircraft you have to cross a busy service road, this should have been thought about .

Lets hope the new terminal goes some way to fixing these shortcomings , however as I said ( and others ) it's in the wrong place with no expansion areas and they have destroyed the only comfortable public place in the whole airport ( pier C )

I was in LHR recently ( a place I loath ) , however they had reports on the wall showing how they are performing , so for example how quickly you can find a seat at peak times etc. I would be interested to see how DUB would come out on such a system ( badly I would say ).

Thanks for the pics:)

Do you work in the Airport? If so can you say how long Pier E will be in relation to Pier D or take a guess from the site?

Cant tell you off the top of my head next time i get a look at the drawings ill let you know.

Its going to be mainly long haul flights from what i know as the new Dept of Homeland Security Immigration Post thats currently in pier b is being relocated so you wont have a long walk for a flight to the uk either way ;)

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Go to the A gates , the chances of finding a seat near your gate .... NIL

It seems silly that to board the aircraft you have to cross a busy service road, this should have been thought about .

Thats what happens when you fly low cost im afraid, they wont pay to use airbridges thats why they werent put in. All the early drawings for Pier D had airbridges in them they were removed somwhere in the design stage though. If you fly out of Pier B or C when it was operational you would always get a seat beside your gate but these were never used by the low cost airlines with the exception of Aer Lingus.

Its only local traffic by the way, loaders baggage trucks etc maybe the odd maintanence van its not a main airport road or anything

Bramble wrote: »

Wasnt necessary to knock it all they're going to build into it instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bramble wrote: »

Can't see the poiint of having a LGW style shuttle bus connection. While they are 2 seperate terminals they are right beside each other. And the corridor to Pier C is wide so can accomodate the golf buggies that are used by OCS (mobiliy assistance) to get to Pier D.

As you say, pointless in the extreme to have a shuttle bus...it's about 400m door to door. That probably translates to 5mins walk in the enclosed corridors landside.

Your assumption is also right...no point in building a new connecting corridor when the existing Pier C suffices perfectly. It also means the GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) booths that exist in pier C (still there) can be used as an overflow - I can only guess they'll remain :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

As regards connections to T1 I assume the tube like structure from the terminal to T1 in this pic on the right is a passenger walkway between the terminals?

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T2_ext.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As regards connections to T1 I assume the tube like structure from the terminal to T1 in this pic on the right is a passenger walkway between the terminals?

http://www.dublinairportauthority.com/images/T2_ext.jpg

Yep.

That'll be the landside connection, whilst the airside connector will be the remaining portion of Pier C (seen behind the walkway in that picture).

Thats what happens when you fly low cost im afraid

Sorry thats total rubbish, it comes from the same school as if you only pay 10 euro for a tkt don't blame us if we leave you stranded in a ex mil aerodrome miles from anywhere because we can't be bothered to talk to you.

It's poor design, you come out of the terminal and have to cross what could be a busy service road to get to your aircraft....... why wasn't the service road put under the terminal, or build a bridge so you appear after the road. They did this on the low numbered A gates but I don't know if they still use them ( have not flown from there for a while )

As for the lack of seats in the A gates , its horrible ( esp with a family ), and it's not just ' low cost ' airlines using the A gates ( AF/AC .... ) .

Since the demise of the C gates there are only about ( and I am open to correction ) 6 airbridges now ( on the B gates ) and these are taken up most of the morning by the US traffic it seems to me.

It's obvious DUB is running at a very high capacity roll on the new terminal but I fear it's just a ' sticking plaster ' not the silver bullet .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Does anyone know what pier bmi British Midland are using at the moment.

They seem to vary a bit, although I haven't flown with them for a few weeks. They tend to go from what is left of pier C (the extra gates downstairs, then a bus to the aircraft) or from Pier B.

Aer Lingus seem to use either B or D for London flights.

I flew to Heathrow this morning, had to walk all the way to Pier D, cross the road to get on the plane, which then landed late. Why oh Why did I pay the extra when I would have got the same with FR but arrived on time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

While I like the design of Terminal 2 and the speed of its construction also seems pretty impressive, it was a shocking waste of money to have to destroy/decommission Pier C in the process, as it was only built, what, about 8 or 9 years ago? :eek::mad:

I also think that T2 would have been better located to the North of the existing terminal, where the hangars are currently as there would have been more room to expand. As it is, if and when T2 will need extra pier/air stand capacity in the future, they'll probably have to knock the cargo terminal down to allow a new pier to be built.

Why are they calling the boarding pier of T2 Pier E? Surely, each terminal has its own set of labelled piers. This, therefore, should be Pier A of Terminal 2.

I think one of the biggest problems with Dublin Airport was that it was planned and built in a very incoherent, unstructured way which allowed a mish-mash of architectural styles and a lack of uniformity in layout and design. At the very least, I wish they could re-clad the exterior of the old part of Terminal 1 as it's looking very shabby and dated at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Yeah... I hope they jazz up T1's exterior. It would be a shame to see T1's tattered, outdated look ruining the otherwise impressive looking T2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ultanmor

Sorry thats total rubbish, it comes from the same school as if you only pay 10 euro for a tkt don't blame us if we leave you stranded in a ex mil aerodrome miles from anywhere because we can't be bothered to talk to you.

It's poor design, you come out of the terminal and have to cross what could be a busy service road to get to your aircraft....... why wasn't the service road put under the terminal, or build a bridge so you appear after the road. They did this on the low numbered A gates but I don't know if they still use them ( have not flown from there for a while )

Leaving aside the tone, Nailer is right. The reason you have to walk across a service road is that the airlines did not want airbridges and would not pay for them. Given that they wouldn't pay for a couple of airbridges they were hardly likely to have supported building a road under the pier to handle service traffic and the huge extra costs it would have generated.

It's a pain to have to walk across the tarmac especially in the rain, but most of the airlines, particularly the low cost operators want to turn their planes around very quickly and they don't want airbridges and don't care about passengers getting wet.

It's not a question of poor design as the pier was designed with airbridges as the original artists' impressions showed them on the side of the building.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Yeah... I hope they jazz up T1's exterior. It would be a shame to see T1's tattered, outdated look ruining the otherwise impressive looking T2.

Pier D extension is going for planning permission in december afaik and they are planning on refurbishing pier B i know for certian. Dont know whats happening in the main terminal i know they are extending checkin area 13 as part of T1x and they are doing a whole new colour scheme there but the basic layout is staying the same so maybe they will roll that out throughout the whole check in area.

Edit. sombody asked was Pier E bigger then Pier D and i said i didnt think so, had a look it is by about half as much again by the looks of it 20 boarding gates vs Pier Ds 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just saw the framework of Terminal 2 for the first time today, I was surprised to see all these large rusty girders put in place with no rust primer or galvanise coating. :eek:

Maybe they intend that this building is just another temporary measure just like its predecessor. :confused:

• Advertisement

The reason you have to walk across a service road is that the airlines did not want airbridges and would not pay for them. Given that they wouldn't pay for a couple of airbridges they were hardly likely to have supported building a road under the pier to handle service traffic and the huge extra costs it would have generated.

I am not talking about airbridges , all it needs is a little imagination , build a bridge to a set of stairs the other side of the road. Look at the A gates ( not the round bit ) next time and you will see what I mean

This would speed the turnaround up in fact , because people would not be held up waiting for traffic

As for the cost , sure didn't DUB put it's prices up anyway ?

As for the tone , maybe I was a bit harsh , but I hate the way because you fly ' low cost ' you have to be treated like rubbish and people accept this and indeed make excuses for the airlines etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Just saw the framework of Terminal 2 for the first time today, I was surprised to see all these large rusty girders put in place with no rust primer or galvanise coating. :eek:

Maybe they intend that this building is just another temporary measure just like its predecessor. :confused:

Its left that way on purpose as the rust surface will hold the primer better when they apply it.

I hate the way because you fly ' low cost ' you have to be treated like rubbish and people accept this and indeed make excuses for the airlines etc.

I like it. The biggest frustration I have flying is people in business class who take an age putting luggage away, getting settled and generally farting about while the rest of the flight is trying to board. On Ryanair, everyone rushes on grabbing the best seats which leaves single flyers like me to avoid queueing, board last and grab whatever seat is available chucking mu bag under the seat in front.

IMHO, it takes twice as long to load an Aer Lingus flight as it does a Ryanair flight.

Errrr there isn't any business class on EI short haul any more .......

Ill be honest I am one of the get on quick and settle back and read my book type. I get very frustrated by the people who ' fiddle ' ie put things in the over heads and then out and then in ...... it usually couples with the man asking the woman ' do you want this up dear ?'

Looks like you are a 'frequent' flyer like me FrattonFred ?

I am usually off to LHR/AMS/Rome/Paris but this week Prague.. about 1-2 trips per month

Anyway we are way off topic..

I am not talking about airbridges , all it needs is a little imagination , build a bridge to a set of stairs the other side of the road. Look at the A gates ( not the round bit ) next time and you will see what I mean

This would speed the turnaround up in fact , because people would not be held up waiting for traffic

As for the cost , sure didn't DUB put it's prices up anyway ?

As for the tone , maybe I was a bit harsh , but I hate the way because you fly ' low cost ' you have to be treated like rubbish and people accept this and indeed make excuses for the airlines etc.

Something like they have in the TFL which is what you're refering to wouldnt really be suitable as it wouldnt stand up to being smacked with a loader a few times a week which would certinaly happen. It really has to be an airbridge for height clearence etc but as its been said Michael O Leary wouldnt use them as there are extra costs and training costs associated.

I wasnt suggested that you be treated like rubbish just expect that when you fly low cost they are going to get you there as cheaply as they can. I would hate to see what state ryanair would have the airbridges in if they did get thier hands on them they tend to leave a trail of destruction behind them after they board a flight :p

thankfully bmi British Midland still have business class on Dub-LHR ;)

Ill be honest I am one of the get on quick and settle back and read my book type. I get very frustrated by the people who ' fiddle ' ie put things in the over heads and then out and then in ...... it usually couples with the man asking the woman ' do you want this up dear ?'

Looks like you are a 'frequent' flyer like me FrattonFred ?

I am usually off to LHR/AMS/Rome/Paris but this week Prague.. about 1-2 trips per month

Anyway we are way off topic..

Sorry, yes we are OT.

I hadn't realised to be honest, When I select my seats i usually go for about row 7 because they are cheaper.

I live in dublin and work in London so i do Dublin heathrow or Dublin Stansted every Monday and friday. All my other flying is just from a love of travel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hate that myself.........you have just had 10-30 mins before boarding to arrange yourself,why wait till you are in the aisle? And are you unable to stand in your seat while fiddling? Its the same as in shops or buses,some people have no consideration for others......

Will try to get a pic or two of the works at DUB over next couple of days and post a link here. They have a frame up at the end of the eventual Pier E.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    thankfully bmi British Midland still have business class on Dub-LHR ;)

I pay for my own flights, so business class is a no no for me.

buuuut, I have just got my BMI Blue Plus membership card...free tea and sarnies for me woo hoo:D

• Advertisement

I live in dublin and work in London so i do Dublin heathrow or Dublin Stansted every Monday and friday.

I used to live in London and work in Dublin so my commute was the other way round , that was for about 9 months back in 2001 . I used to always use BMI then, booked myself on the 21:15 on a Friday night , turn up at 16:30 , always got on the 17:15 no problem , wouldn't happen nowadays airlines are not as flexible as they used to be.

Advertisement