Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulled wine recipe??

• 16-12-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Anyone got a mulled wine recipe that is easy to make? Also what type of wine works best? Greatly appreciated - decided to throw party thursday nite and said id make it -woops!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

don't buy a really cheap red wine, but it doesn't have to be v expensive. Heat wine gently ,add cinnemon sticks, slices of orange and lemon, don't let it boil, I always add some brandy and cointreau, add water if you think it has too much of a " kick"

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

I use medium quality wine you can get bargains around €5. For every bottle of wine 2 cups of orange juices and 2 tablespoons of sugar. I then use the sachets of mulled wine spices and I heat the wine gentily and before serving I put in some brandy and some sliced fruit like orange and apple slices it is usually nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They sell the genuine Gluhwein in Aldi & Lidl for about a fiver a bottle. Can't really go wrong with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

There are many ways to make mulled wine, but the simplest and easiest way is to add cinnamon sticks, fruit studded with cloves and sugar to red wine, and heat.

If you want it extra boozy, add brandy near the end.

If you want it half strength but full-flavoured, add a litre of cranberry or red grape juice to the wine, and use less sugar.

Almost all ways to make it produce a good result. Always taste before you serve to see what it needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

i have a mulled apple juice recipie for those that have to drive over the holidays...

MULLED APPLE JUICE (for the designated driver!)

Serves 8
    Ingredients
    750ml (1 1/3 pints) pure apple juice
    750ml (1 1/3 pints) bottled water
    1 orange, preferably un-waxed
    12 whole cloves
    3 small cinnamon sticks
    6 all spice berries
    ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
    75g (3oz) golden caster sugar

Method
    Pour the apple juice and water into a stain less steel saucepan. Wash the orange well in warm water and peel the rind thinly. Add to the pan along with the rest of the spices and sugar, heat gently. Adjust the spices or sugar to taste. Serve hot.

enjoy:D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I was introduced to mulled cider a couple of years ago (by an American), which is what we'd call mulled apple juice - i.e. alcohol free. It is nice to serve, especially when there are non-drinkers. And for those who prefer a hard cider version a shot of whiskey can be added to your serving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm drinking red wine - 1 bottle, with about 4 desert spoons of brown sugar and a level spoon of allspice and an inch of a cinnamon stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

2 bottles of half-decent red such as merlot or shiraz
    juice of 3 oranges (stud the skins with cloves & throw them in too)
    2 or 3 cinnamon sticks
    2 star anise
    a good slug of brandy or rum
    4 or 5 tablespoons of sugar (or to taste)
    3 or 4 cardamom black cardamom pods

Heat gently until steaming, but not boiling.

Tip - Avoid using ground spices in mulled wine as they may make it a bit "gritty".

Advertisement