Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Bargain Ireland!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭drunk_monk

ch750536 wrote: »
    Posted this elsewhere. Didn't know about this forum...

Nursery : €45 for 5 days 4 hours.

Tax : Joint income of €50,000

Council Tax : €0

Better paid job. (30% better)

child benefit : double than in the UK.

Personally, I am €15,000 a year better off in Ireland

Not sure if this works, but My Life, Ire vs UK

They probably don't have taxes on things where as we do. For example do they have to pay DIRT on the savings? Or credit card tax? They do not pay VRT on cars making them much cheaper than here. Almost anything in the high street there is way cheaper than here. At the end of the day it swings in round-a-bouts so your argument is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

drunk_monk wrote: »
    They probably don't have taxes on things where as we do. For example do they have to pay DIRT on the savings? Or credit card tax? They do not pay VRT on cars making them much cheaper than here. Almost anything in the high street there is way cheaper than here. At the end of the day it swings in round-a-bouts so your argument is pointless.

My whole point is that it is swings & roundabouts.

The UK taxes heavily at source (PAYE) and light at retail.
    Ireland taxes light at source and heavy at retail.#

Just use any online PAYE calculator to confirm this, especially if married.

Truth is in the UK you would have less money to spend on stuff because of all the taxes you pay.

Yes I agree with you that they pay more PAYE taxes but what about health care. How much do you pay for health care for you and your family here? How much are you paying for your doctors visits each year? It's all free in the UK. What about trips to the dentists, in the UK some treatments are up to 50% cheaper than here. How much are you paying to eat out? How much are you paying for a pint? In wetherspoons it costs under two pounds for a pint and you can get a full fry for £3.49 (at least it was last time I was there). The list goes on and on and on.

My point is you have picked 5 things that are cheaper or better than that of the UK but have completely disregarded all other areas. So the point you made about being 1000's of euros better of here than if you lived in the UK is completely and utterly incorrect.

Its as simple as this.

I moved to Ireland 4 years ago, yet continued to work for my UK employer. I get paid in Sterling.

My employer has asked me to move back to the UK and offered some reward for doing this.

In order to fully evaluate things I built a model of life for my family in both countries with regard to the top 10 costs.

I did this in some detail, going down to energy used by KwH and mileage, healthcare etc etc.

At the end of all this, and adjusting for todays currency rates I have a net figure of €17,743 in favour of :-

Quitting my UK based job and getting a similar one in Ireland (I have an offer)
    Over
    Moving back to the UK.

That is taking into account the kids, buying a house of same mortgage repayment (unlikely), cars, tax, PAYE, etc etc, all the things for day to day living.

Now I have spent time on this and been thorough, which means I have earnt the right to be bold and stand by my number and statements about the bargain of living in Ireland.

Will even 1 person, who is so quick to look at just 1 aspect of life in Ireland (shopping) care to look at the tax issue, for example, then report back here with their own findings.

It seems there are too many people who are only too happy to bitch about Ireland without looking at the facts, without considering the bigger picture.

drunk_monk wrote: »
    Yes I agree with you that they pay more PAYE taxes but what about health care. ...

When that difference is €18000* per year it would take a lot of bargains up north to compensate for it.

In the last 3 years I have spent less than €3k on healthcare.

For the sake of analysis only (like for like) I included a package from Hibernian (Silver) to give a suitable cost, which came to €2426.

*To be fair I changed to todays exchange rate but did not recalculate the tax at the new rate, this would make this figure a little wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭zillmere

Its as simple as this.

In order to fully evaluate things I built a model of life for my family in both countries with regard to the top 10 costs.

I did this in some detail, going down to energy used by KwH and mileage, healthcare etc etc.

At the end of all this, and adjusting for todays currency rates I have a net figure of €17,743 in favour of :-

Did you factor in the cost of your time to carry out this test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Its as simple as this.

Personally, I am €15,000 a year better off in Ireland

It seems there are too many people who are only too happy to bitch about Ireland without looking at the facts, without considering the bigger picture.

You Initally were 15000 better off!!! now its €17743....:D or did your "in depth" study incur administration costs of €2743?

Jaysoose wrote: »
    You Initally were 15000 better off!!! now its €17743....:D or did your "in depth" study incur administration costs of €2743?

Jaysooose

Either learn to read or stop trolling.

Link from OP

Since doing the original spreadsheet (not even sure that you can see it to be honest) the exchange rates have changed a lot.

This adversely effects the numbers.

Now, please stop trolling and have a good xmas.
    ;)

zillmere wrote: »

Did you factor in the cost of your time to carry out this test?

No, I figured making a good decision rather than a bad one would compensate me enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When that difference is €18000* per year it would take a lot of bargains up north to compensate for it.

In the last 3 years I have spent less than €3k on healthcare.

For the sake of analysis only (like for like) I included a package from Hibernian (Silver) to give a suitable cost, which came to €2426.

*To be fair I changed to todays exchange rate but did not recalculate the tax at the new rate, this would make this figure a little wrong.

I'm puzzled that your sig tells us not to give any money to the "Brits", but that you have a UK employer.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm puzzled that your sig tells us not to give any money to the "Brits", but that you have a UK employer.

Why does that puzzle you? I'm taking money off them!

<snip> - Have to be careful what I say. Employers look at the internet too.

Well fair play to you for doing the figures. I do in fact agree we are a little better off here (I'm actually English). I just don't agree with the amount you say. It's also a better quality of life here as well :)

Still good luck with your decision and have a nice Christmas.

Why does that puzzle you? I'm taking money off them!

I hope that they are not easily offended were they to have too much time on their hands and scour the internet. :eek:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I hope that they are not easily offended were they to have too much time on their hands and scour the internet. :eek:

I'm not stealing it, I earnt all of it.
    :p

My last punt at this topic.

If the government stated on Monday:

We will implement a pricing strategy which guarantees prices in shops will be the same as in the UK.
    We will guarantee that all social welfare will be paid at the same rate.
    We guarantee that all taxes and contributions will be at the same rate.
    We shall implement a heath service to the same standard as the UK

Every person who earns a wage in the country will be worse off.
    Every person on social welfare will be worse off.

I'm not stealing it, I earnt all of it.
    :p

Run like the wind! :D

Jaysooose

Either learn to read or stop trolling.

Link from OP

Since doing the original spreadsheet (not even sure that you can see it to be honest) the exchange rates have changed a lot.

This adversely effects the numbers.

Now, please stop trolling and have a good xmas.
    ;)

Im not trolling buddy simply stating facts that your numbers are out. The exchange rates are not mentioned anywhere even though this would explain the disparity.

Have a good crimbo rockafella:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

My last punt at this topic.

If the government stated on Monday:

We will implement a pricing strategy which guarantees prices in shops will be the same as in the UK.

A misguided suggestion, to say the least.

The UK has it's own currency; it has been for the best part of a year lowering it's national interest rates by more and faster than the Eurozone, meaning the value of Sterling has dipped to all-time lows.
    That coupled with an emergancy VAT rate reduction will mean the UK government and it's citizens will have a huge extra drain on it's coffers in the coming months.

Ireland has higher VAT rates (even before their reduction), higher minimium wages and higher social welefare costs than the UK, all feeding into the higher prices here.

There is still a sigificant difference between prices here even considering all that; that is annoying, but that is the basis of capitalism. A 'pricing strategy' by a government amounts to a tax reduction and nothing more; in the UK that is a short term solution that is in itself partly tied to the fact the incumberant government is trying to find a good time to call a snap election. We don't have the same luxury here.

If you don't buy they are forced to reduce prices and most businesses seem to be making some progress now.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Im not trolling buddy simply stating facts that your numbers are out. The exchange rates are not mentioned anywhere even though this would explain the disparity.

Have a good crimbo rockafella:P

So you missed the bit where it said 'Exchange Rate £/€ = € 1.06'

And you say you are not trolling.:rolleyes:

So you missed the bit where it said 'Exchange Rate £/€ = € 1.06'

And you say you are not trolling.:rolleyes:

Yawn:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well the government could say on Monday we are putting €1000 rates on each house and cutting Vat by 7%. No doubt this wouldn't please Boards either.

Advertisement