Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan tattoo ink

Options
  • 16-12-2008 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Does anyone know if any of the studios in dublin use tattoo ink that is vegan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I would be very suprised if you find anywhere that uses it - its sort of a niche market, and probably wouldn't be worth an irish artist's time and money having a full set of vegan inks to hand...

I could be wrong though. if you come across somewhere that says they do - be sure to actually check the bottle/brand in advance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

http://www.blacklightink.com/

That's all vegan. Maybe if you were willing to pay for it yourself the tattoo artist would be willing to work with it. I'm sure some places would be willing to get it in for you though, especially with the increasing amount of vegans in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I have never looked into it myself, but a vegan friend of mine said he couldn't get anyone in Dublin or surrounding counties, he goes to London to get inked.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Someone correct me here (Hot2def)??

I always assumed that most tattoo inks were made of naturally occurring metal salts held in suspension ie Carbon for black,Cobalts for Blue,Copper for Oranges etc.

From here : http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa121602a.htm

So unless your a vegan who eats rock then I think the OP is safe.

@ Hellrazer

the pigments are held in suspension. The carrier fluid is usually glycerin, and since (afaik) animal glycerin is cheaper, its usually animal derived.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

hot2def wrote: »
    @ Hellrazer

the pigments are held in suspension. The carrier fluid is usually glycerin, and sinse (afaik) animal glycerin is cheaper, its usually animal derived.

Cheers for that.I always thought the carrier fluid was alcohol based though.
    Am I correct about the pigments being derived from mineral salts though and isnt that what the EU tried to ban earlier this year?
    Certain heavy metal salts being used in tattoo ink?

there is usually water and alcohol in the fluid as well.

finding out exactly what is in tattoo ink is very difficult. there is no legislation in place to force manufacturers to provide this information. Minerals figure big though. I am unaware of the E.U. doing that, I haven't heard anything.

I never use a brand of ink that I am not already wearing, and i am deeply suspicious of new brands/colors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I think it'll be like the way u.v. ink was a few years ago, supply your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Thanks for the replies, and thank you for the link truthinwords. I'll contact some studios during the week to see if they would be willing to work with the ink if I pay for it myself, or I might look into places in London as I'm over there quite a lot.

Advertisement