Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Screed depth upstairs

• 16-12-2008 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

I've found this forum invaluable since starting my new build in April.

I have built a one and a half storey timber frame house and there was a mix up between myself and the timber frame company which has resulted in the upstairs not being specced for UFH.

I got an engineer to check out whether the floor can take the weight and was told it should be fine for a depth of 60mm.

I understand the ceiling and door frame implications however I am trying to keep them to a minimum by keeping the screed depth as low as I can.

I am putting as much insulation into the house as I can. 200mm cellulose in the timber frame wall cavities, over 300mm in attic etc. So I'm hoping the UFH upstairs will not be used too often more for quick responsive blasts ( I understand it will not be a conventional quick blast, compared to traditional radiators etc).

I'm thinking a more shallow screed suits my needs upstairs. I was going to go for a sand /cement mix in an attempt to keep cost down and was aiming for a 40mm approx screed covering the UFH pipe by about 10-15mm.

Can you please give your opinions on my logic and any advise on screed depths?
    I have read previous posts but some seem contradictory and would like to hear both advise and any personal experiences you may have had.

Sorry for the rambling post

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Clients did install a Swedish underfloor system in a latex screed about 20mm thick, on timber ply on timber joists - seems to work well. PM for details.

There are ufh systems for timber joist - metal tray between joists contain pipework. Alot of these systems don't radiate head from a slab as such but could still be economical as the volume of water in the pipes is usually less than rads and the temp of water is less than rads.

Devi electric underfloor does heat a room, so I suppose if you are heating a tiled floor, the tile will radiate heat. Metal trays would have a similar ability.

I study all the options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 leprechaun1916

Thanks for the reply

Ill have to stick with the pipe work Ive already purchased ruling out the electric underfloor options.

Ill try and read up on the 'Swedish' system whenever I get a chance which may be 2010 the way work keeps mounting up on site.

Thanks again

Advertisement