Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia & Windows Network

Options
  • 16-12-2008 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hello everyone,

I have an Eircom Broadband package with a Netopia 2247NWG wireless router. My home Dell PC (XP Home) is connected via ethernet and Dell latop (Vista HP) via wireless.

Both have normal internet connections, but the main problem I have is trying to share files within the windows network.

Both computers are in the same workgroup "Mshome" but when I try to view compters within this network none are present. On the XP PC this would be My Network Places->Entire Network->Microsoft Windows Network->Mshome where nothing is shown. On the Vista latop I look in the "Network" folder where the only item listed is the shared folders on the laptop itself.

Are there any adjustments which can be made to make both computers "see" each other through windows. File sharing is enabled for designated folders on the PC.

BTW, on the Vista laptop, using media sharing in windows media player, music from the PC can be played. Dunno why this is, when the computers can't view each other.

Thanks in advance for your time,
    whatahw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Shanegggg

Dunno know if this will help but try entering the pc's ip adress in the address bar.

eg. "\\192.168.1.1" or what ever the adress is.

Also in network and sharing centre make sure you customise your wireless network to private and enable network discovery and filesharing.

You may wanna disable the firewalls on both pc's too just to make sure thats not causing the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 15 whatahw

Thanks, I have disabled firewalls on both computers (windows firewall) and tried to connect by typing the corresponding IPs into the address bar on both computers. But all I get is a network timeout error ("The operation timed out when attempting to contact 192.168.1.xx").

Also the network is private and both network discovery and filesharing are enabled.

Still no sign of either comp on the network.

However, I have forgotten to mention that in "My Network Places" on the XP PC, the netopia modem is listed. Dunno if that's relevant - all it does is connect to the modem.

There is a firewall within the netopia router that is set to a default level "medium". Would this have any effect on the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I've the same problem, one vista and one xp computer. I set up a 'home' newtowk but can't see it in either of my networks, just the router is listed. Driving me bonkers. HELP:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Try narrow it down. Can they ping each other?. If they can't, install wireshark and see if the packets are being txed/rxed or not. If they're not then its a firewall issue on the netopia, if they are then its a problem at one end.

If ping works, use wireshark to see if the packets are being rxed when you try to connect via the windows share. Also try the command

net share hostname <---- using the hostname of the far end pc to see if it can see that there are folders shared out

Advertisement