Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading question

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Any of the reloaders be able to answer me this, what is the heaviest bullet available for 6.5x55? Could it be loaded for alot of energy for short range shooting, Would it be good enough to use on driven wild boar??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

160gr is the heaviest available now, the 6.5x55 is purposely underloaded due to the age of vintage mausers. So, yes it can be loaded hotter, around 2900 fps.

It will undoubtably kill boar but .30+ would be a better starting point with the 8 and 9mm calibres being the most popular in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Thanks, i was thinking of loading a few for a buddy of mine, i have a 30.06 myself and i think it would be ideal but we just thought we might be able to beef up his 6.5 for the job too, must check the legality of it over there before i get too into loading them and then find its a non runner,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Always be careful reloading for a buddy. In the event of an accident you could be found liable for damages and end up cleaned out.

Good point, never thought of that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I know Poland has a minimum of 2000 Joules of energy for boar which factory loaded 6.5x55 will easily achieve. 30-06 is ideal for the job and I'm probably going to get one myself for that very reason!

Where are you going to?

• Advertisement

Croatia i think,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Mind the landmines then!:eek::D.There is still a clatter of them buried all over the countryside in the forests from the little disagreement in the 90s.
    A bunch of German hunters were killed in the late 90s when somones tractor which was towing the shooting trailer hit one.I'm sure alot has been cleaned up since,but still be careful.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement