Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchased Car-Garage Closed Suddenly

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can help me out on this one.

I bought a car less than two weeks ago from a local garage in my area and gave over €3000 and my old car.
    Have receipts to verify all of this but having few minor problems with the car(i was given a warranty of 3 months verbally) and wanted to bring back to see what they can do for me.

There is nobody at the garage all of a sudden and the phone lines are not connecting. Company beside them said no one has been there in a week although the garage is still full of unlocked cars(incl my old one).

They were meant to send the log book on also and as per motor tax office only way i can get this now if I cant get in touch with garage is by going to a registered Dealer and paying them €30 to verify chassis etc. Then to a solicitor to get letter saying i bought the car in good faith.

Company is not registered through CRO I have since found out, and Consumer Assoc said that I am legally covered if can locate garage owner but otherwise I will have to take matter to court if I cant find them to fix the problems.

Has anyone any advice or any experience as I really cannot afford a solicitor at moment to sort this awful mess.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

contact the revenue department that deals with VRT in your county . They would know the garage is out of business by now .

Ask them to contact the vehicle registration lot in Shannon maybe put a note on the file , you must also ensure your old car is deregistered from your name and address which would help prove you did the trade.

Its quiet in VRT in December . Trust me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Thanks sponge bob just sent the relevant dept an e mail there so hopefully they can help me with this matter..

Thank You

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I would not give you this advice in January but these are the guys on the ground who deal with the local motor trade and may help sort matters if you ask nicely

Good luck, my sympathies, and do tell us how it goes as this is likely to happen to other Boardsies over the next year I am sorry to say :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Where did this happen? Location etc.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

suzieb wrote: »
    Company is not registered through CRO I have since found out,
    Thanks

They may have registered as a business name - go into CRO website and put name or part of name into box then click on business names and it may give some details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

What exact problems are you having with the car???

Thanks for replies.

Cro had nothing at all about the company but I will try on their website thanks.

Dont want to say too much bout name at the moment but will on Friday as I have got through to a mobile number i got from carzone and told them i'd like to test drive another car so I can try to get someone to meet me that way.

The probs Im having are timing belt was meant to be replaced which it wasnt and i put car through car wash on monday and the passenger side of the car allowed water to flood in :eek:-it didnt come through the door it seemed to be coming from under the glovebox so somethings not right there also.
    I have a mechanic friend having a look on Friday night to see whats caused this but imo the garage should be held accountable for this.

Thanks Again

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I would not give you this advice in January but these are the guys on the ground who deal with the local motor trade and may help sort matters if you ask nicely

Good luck, my sympathies, and do tell us how it goes as this is likely to happen to other Boardsies over the next year I am sorry to say :(

Sponge bob i sent an e mail and got a short reply today saying that this is nothing to do with vrt in my area and its issue for motor tax office so seems only way i can get log book sorted is by paying a garage and then going to solicitor :(

Advertisement