Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Berties S-class?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Could anyone confirm whether Bertie Ahern (Former CEO Ireland Inc) is still being chauffeured around in a vehicle that at the time of purchase (sometime 2007) would have retailed in excess of €100,000?

To that end, is it only plebs and peasants who shop for lower order Mercs while Bert and his personal shopper bag a flagship model at our expense?

Also i doubt its the case, but does anyone know whether its common practice amongst our former, more distinguished Taoisigh, including John Bruton, Albert Reynolds, Garret FitzGerald and Liam Cosgrave to be ferried around in vehicles offering similarly ostentatious displays of wealth?

I think its wrong.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Former Taoisigh retain a state car and a garda driver until they die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Bond-007 wrote: »

Sounds right. And it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I pass St. Lukes everyday and haven't seen it there in a while.

Did Biffo inherit it?

Lovely car though. Was funny enough seeing it and the unmarked 5-Series constantly parked on the footpath outside with 3 cops reading the Irish Times.

Now that I think of it wasn't Haughey driven to his tribunal appearances in his old Merc. I remember seeing it years ago in Mitchelstown when I was younger, back in the days when the only Mercedes on the roads were State cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

bmcgrath wrote: »
    Sounds right. And it's a good idea.

No problem with that. Just a major issue with the size of the cheque written to get said car.

Shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Bertie's unlikely to get anywhere near €100k if he trades in the merc so better that he hangs on to it.

• Advertisement

robbie99 wrote: »
    Bertie's unlikely to get anywhere near €100k if he trades in the merc so better that he hangs on to it.

Were left picking up the massive tab for that too.

Probably better hed didnt get it in the first place.

Dont hear many people compaling bout the Eclass (elec gremlins aside!)

greatdeeds wrote: »

I thought this was the motors forum. Maybe you're better off taking your bitterness to a politics one.

I thought this was the motors forum. Maybe you're better off taking your bitterness to a politics one.[/quote

Its a car Robbie.

But maybe your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

If you think a Merc S class is sinful, have you seen George Bushes car fort he past 8 years?
    It costs a lot more I'd say but doesn't look the part...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

greatdeeds wrote: »

FFS the man was Taoiseach of the country. It was a drop in the ocean at the time and the leader of the country should have an car to reflect his position.

You can argue all you want about how many light-bulbs it would have bought for disadvantaged squirrels or whatever but the Taoiseach should have a big f-off car and to be honest €100k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I thought this was the motors forum.

Seems more like a ROTR forum these days.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's an S350, not really top of the range.

Seeing as he is an elected official spending other people's money, he probably should stick to the e-classes they used to drive a few years back.

If any of us were in the same position would we turn one down? :)

As a motor enthuasist I'd be embarassed to see our country's leaders regardless of party driven around in a clapped out Toyota Corolla or similar. The Merc S Class is the right car for top level executives and the like. It's not a pretentious Rolls Royce. Heck, even taxi drivers can afford the S Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

This makes me laugh, people complain about our elected leaders getting courtesy driven cars, yet they dont tend to pay nearly as much attention to the vastly greater sums wasted in the public services such as health and education. Talk about wastage.

Anyway, as robbie said, this is a motors forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote: »

And that costs nothing compared to the 24/7 Garda protection they *enjoy* too. One round-a-clock person is actually 5 full time staff so we're talking about €400,000 every year for the sole Garda in-the-box protecting* the likes of Bertie or any other ex-president or ex-prime minister still alive

*70% sleeping, 20% dozing, 9% watching TV/DVD, 1% eating, drinking, fornicating, toilet breaks, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

Can't understand why Brian gets the 07 E 220 and Bertie keeps his s350, why not swap surely?? That owl Mary Harney has a brand new updated version of the Audi A6, the latest one, its 08 D 66666 I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I was overtaken (over speed limit) by the President in her Merc one day with another Merc behind her and a squad car all with flashing blue lights. I didn't know it was an emergency to drive around the country opening school extensions.

Think of all the money thats spent on the President. Wages, Cars, Security, Cooks, Cleaners, Gardeners etc. and she does NOTHING.
    I think Bertie is entitled to have some perks from the job he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

I know and to think now we need to save all we can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I believe I've been misquoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mary coughlan turned up in an audi at a mtg i was at last week gov saving money surely not ( couldnt see what spec or model for that matter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bertie had the S class until someone tried to set fire to it recently. Maybe its gone for repairs.
    S Class for Bertie, E Class for Cowen..... That all wrong. Cowen should get an old C Class. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

You could have this 00D with 100,000 miles on the clock for around €10,000 or probably less (mine by the way).

sclass.JPG

or you could have this for €8,950 04 Fiesta Steel with 58,000 mls on the clock:

fiesta.jpg

which would you rather have a crash/back end go out, anything really, I know which one I'd choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

nialler wrote: »
    You could have this 00D with 100,000 miles on the clock for around €10,000 or probably less (mine by the way).

sclass.JPG

or you could have this for €8,950 04 Fiesta Steel with 58,000 mls on the clock:

fiesta.jpg

which would you rather have a crash/back end go out, anything really, I know which one I'd choose.

What engine have you got in that?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Skyuser wrote: »
    I was overtaken (over speed limit) by the President in her Merc one day with another Merc behind her and a squad car all with flashing blue lights. I didn't know it was an emergency to drive around the country opening school extensions.

Think of all the money thats spent on the President. Wages, Cars, Security, Cooks, Cleaners, Gardeners etc. and she does NOTHING.

afaik these cars are officially classed the same as Garda cars and are driven by Gardai. The president does her bit so I wouldn't be too harsh on her, it could be worse however, we could have a royal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Tis only the 3.2 petrol but it's good enough for me. Drove a couple of 500 and 600s terrifyingly quick but also very very smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Bring back the horse and kart FTW. tourists will flock to "The Emerald Isle" to see such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bigkev49 wrote: »
    FFS the man was Taoiseach of the country. It was a drop in the ocean at the time and the leader of the country should have an car to reflect his position.

You can argue all you want about how many light-bulbs it would have bought for disadvantaged squirrels or whatever but the Taoiseach should have a big f-off car and to be honest €100k isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

No problem with that, but he's not Taoiseach any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Skyuser wrote: »

Actually she does a good bit. Bertie sqandered the biggest economic boom the nation has ever and will ever see. Still, State leaders should get good cars, no problem with that. They shouldn't get them when they retire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Garret Fitzgearld always had a Saab 900 if my memory serves me right:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Heres a link showing ministerial cars by brand.

http://www.jcfj.ie/pqs/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=0&sobi2Id=1326&Itemid=27

The number of cars currently in the ministerial and State fleet...

The number of cars currently in the ministerial and State fleet; the person to whom each vehicle is assigned; the year and make of each car in the fleet; the number of cars in the fleet of the low emission or hybrid variety

Question Posed By: Deputy Thomas P. Broughan
    Subject: Ministerial Transport
    Date: 10 July 2008
    Question Number: 806

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): State cars are placed at the disposal of the President, Taoiseach, Government Ministers and others, the details of which as set-out in the following table.

The requirements for the Ministerial fleet are subject to regular review and assessment in order to ensure that the most suitable vehicles are purchased having regard to a range of criteria including overall cost, emissions and fuel efficiency bearing in mind the function of the vehicles and their suitability for the specific transport requirements involved. The current contract in place for the provision of vehicles for the fleet specifies diesel-powered vehicles. In addition, there are a number of hybrid (petrol/electric) cars in the fleet and currently, 17 of the 26 vehicles in the fleet are either hybrid or diesel powered cars. As older models in the fleet are replaced, this number will further increase.

Make and Model Year

President Mercedes S350 2006
    Taoiseach Mercedes E320 2007

Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise, Trade & Employment Audi A6 2008

Minister for Finance Mercedes E320 2007

Minister for Health and Children Audi A6 2006

Minister for Transport and the Marine Audi A6 2008

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Audi A6
    Minister for Foreign Affairs Volvo S80 2008

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism Mercedes E240 2004

Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs Audi A6

Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mercedes E240 2005

Minister for Defence Lexus GS450h 2006

Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government Toyota Prius 2007

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Toyota Prius 2007

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Audi A6

Minister for Education and Science BMW 525 2008

Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Citroen C6 2008

Chief Whip Lexus GS450h 2006

Attorney General Lexus GS450h 2006

Ceann Comhairle Audi A6

Chief Justice
    BMW 525d

DPP
    Lexus GS300

Former Taoiseach -Mr. Bertie Ahern Mercedes S350 2006