Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value Games Ever?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously, when was the last time you picked up a title that you bought a year or two ago and said to yourself "This was worth all 60/70 of my Euros."

For me,

-Zone of the Enders 2, for 45 euro. Replayed it to death. Fast Giant Robots. Fun.

-Final Fantasy 7. Well OK, I got it for free (step-cousin got it for christmas and chucked it: too young for it - an original press, not platinum) but i'd be happy with every penny to this day.

-TF2: easilly the best $20 of the last year.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ninja Gaiden sigma for a tenner. Loved that game. Bits with yer wan were shíte though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mmm.

I guess my point is anyone who buys say, LBP for 60 euro, or Halo 3 for 70; are you ever completely satisfied? I mean I've always usually been happy when a game is less than 30 bucks/euro but i cant think of any new release that costed me 60 that id still be satisfied with spending all that money on today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid double pack. 20 euros got me Metal Gear Solid and the excellent special missions with a swanky collectible sleeve.

Bubble Bobble (C64): A far better conversion than the C64 deserved ofone of the greatest arcade games ever. Played it to death. 3.99 irish punts

Grandia: An 80+ hour stupidly good FFVII beating RPG for a budget price of 15 euros.

Gunstar Heroes: 40 punts for a game I played to death on the MD

Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition: 80 punts was a hell of a lot of money in the day but this game was constantly being played for years.

R-type Delta I got for 14 euro and Einhander I picked up for 7 dollars in New York. Both worth quite a bit now but would never sell them considering they are some of the best games ever made and gave me hours of entertainment.

Gradius V: released new over here for 25 euros. This price got you the greatest shoot'em up ever created, a game I'm still replaying to this day.

Global Defence Force: Picked this up from play.com for around 12 euro. It's a horrible looking, cheap tacky built on no budget game. It also happens to be a massive amount of fun and epic in lenght. The best brainless blaster on the PS2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Tombi for PS1, I bought this gem for £10 and have broken it out anytime I need a laugh, pink haired kid beating up flying pigs is weird enough to be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

CSS for ~7 euro or something. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

orange box
    i think that valve sell it so cheap so that people will
    -install steam
    -download games through steam
    and therefore be likely to purchase games through steam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Geometry wars 2: best 10/12 odd quid I have spent in a long time.
    Great little game to dip in and out off.

My original boxed copy of Fallout2 (which of course is lost at home somewhere) Picked up for £15 back in the day in the pokey little game on grafton street. It eat my life for 6 months.

Xcom apocalypse on steam: cost less than €5 and is waiting for me to really get stuck into. Tis a game that lasts weeks and is random, so is always good for a replay or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Well I could list countless C64 titles as the full priced games were normally around £10-12 and were replayed over and over and over and over. Value for money on that system possibly Spy vs Spy I. Myself and my bro used to play that all the time. It was no fun on your own.

Bubble Bobble on the Atari ST was near arcade perfect and I put 1000s of hours in to that game. Classic stuff. Super Sprint was positively amasing on the Atari ST and myself and my cousin played this constantly for two summers. So value for money ? Damn right. Also Elite on the ST, should get a mention. Although I played this on the C64, it came in to its own on the 16 bit machines and again 100's of hours were spent getting to Elite status. I think I only managed Dangerous or Deadly.

Best value all round would probably be Quake II. I played this constantly for about 4 years so I think it has paid for itself 100's of times over. I have started to play it again and it's still as active as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

orange box

half life2 when css etc came free with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Orange box, for the hours spent on TF2.

Or maybe HL2, for the hours spent on that and CS:S. Plus I didn't really like Eps1+2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Took a copy of HL1 out of an internet cafe i worked in back eight years ago.. Played the game and its mods for the best part of five years! :P

Still have the box and cd key knocking around somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Got Cardinal Sin and the origional Resident Evil for the PS1 for two quid each at a carboot sale last year. Shweet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Deus Ex on budget release (5quid?).
    Best damn FP-RPG ever, ran on all my (crap) PCs, lasts forever.

Also FFIX for £9 back in the day.
    Best 90hrs of wasted summer time ever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Indigo Prophecy, 7 euro.

Played it over and over. Wonderful storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

"Mercenaries" for the Xbox in GameStop for 13 Euro new a few years back.
    Hardly nothing compared to the amount of times it's been played.
    An absolute belter of a game. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I bought civilization III years ago for under a tenner. The game has great replay value, still play it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Oblivion - I'm over the 100hr mark on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Overheal wrote: »
    Mmm.

I guess my point is anyone who buys say, LBP for 60 euro, or Halo 3 for 70; are you ever completely satisfied? I mean I've always usually been happy when a game is less than 30 bucks/euro but i cant think of any new release that costed me 60 that id still be satisfied with spending all that money on today.

Mario Galaxy for sure,
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess,
    Mario Kart DS,
    Bioshock,
    Warcraft III and the Frozen Throne (I rebuy this every year, constantly loosing copies of it)
    GTA: Vice City the only truely great GTA game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Micromachines 2 turbo for the sega magedrive. and it had the adapter built into the top of the cartridge to plug in 2 extra controllers, got years and years of fun on that. I took it out last month to distract myself from exams, and it was just as good.

Morrowind & C&C Red alert for the PC's.... years spent doing those, and getting up to realise you didn't eat or sleep in the last 8 hours and its time to go to school!!!

And then Madden 05 for the Original XBOX, the most playable sports game ever.

Those are my 4 Great value games of all time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The free peggle trial you get on new hp computers. I've killed countless hours playing it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just over 20 euro for Drakes Fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Elite on the ZX Spectrum a looong, long time ago. I remember it being expensive but we got over two years of addiction out of it.

It was supposed to be the first unpiratable game on tape, with it's plastic decoder thingy you needed to hold up to the screen. Best mate's brother had this doohickey for his Spectrum that allowed you to load the game, enter the code, get to the main screen then press the magic button that allowed you to "backup" the game from that point onto a blank tape. We were gods in school that year (among the nerd fraternity at least).

Had I paid for it though, it would have been great value.

A few games since, on PC have been good value, Quake 2, Half Life, GTA 3 but not in Elite's league.

Bought the Orange Box for 20euro in Game.stop recently. Good game. Though best value for money has to be Oblivion for 15euro - currently at 70hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

milltown wrote: »
    Elite on the ZX Spectrum a looong, long time ago. I remember it being expensive but we got over two years of addiction out of it.

aye I fondly remember Elite where myself and by brother used to play we used to list all the ships we destroyed and cargo picked up on a notepad, fcuking hell how sad were we.

But best value game would have to be IL2-Sturmovik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

GTA 3, GTA Vice City and unsurprisingly GTA San Andreas. Well over 100 hours of gameplay in all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Theme Hospital on PSOne and recently on PC for €5 ! :D. spent hours at this, never completed it though... very difficult.

Deus Ex Game of the Year Edition €10 PC. BEST GAME EVER completed this several times. Traveling all over this futuristic world as a nanotech - augmented operative that becomes a part of a conspiracy to take over the world. Completed this over 10 times now :cool:

TBH I dont know about people can get so into Oblivion and play it for weeks. I get bored after 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so nobody here ever has a best loved game that cost them 60 euros or more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

Anything total war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Carrier command
    classic game hours of enjoyment & it was free with ST
    Sensible soccer
    £7.99 earliest memory of a class 2 player soccer game with your mates
    Picking up FF VII on spur of the moment cause i thought the graphics looked good on the back of the box!! bless my innocence/ignorance!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cold Winter on the PS2, got it for around 15 and loved it, a long game too, with hours and hours of FPS story mode to play through.
    The game is similar, in a lot of ways, to Goldeneye although it does have it's fair share of filthy language to upset the parents.
    Also Deus Ex on the PC, that was a huge game for the money, tons to do too.

Secret Weapons over Normandy is another PS2 game with tons and tons of missions, fun controls and I think I recently saw it for less than a tenner in Gamestop, fantastic value.

Also Ridgeracer 2 on the PSP has nearly every track from the RR series and now available on platinum.
    Not to mention Doom on the PS1, containing both Doom and DoomII, more hours and hours of gaming goodness!

Advertisement