Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Snooker Sting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I saw on one of the forums that all the bets in 1 bookies were on the
    same correct score 9-3 :rolleyes: wasn't that a good call :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

How coincidental:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Cant watcht the video of the missed black? it says not available in your area. anyone else get this? I beleive it didnt even hit the jaws

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Years ago when this first came to light(was it Kirk Stevens) it was suggested that snooker would be the easiest game to fix as skill levels were so high that it could look like a player just missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Cant watcht the video of the missed black? it says not available in your area. anyone else get this? I beleive it didnt even hit the jaws

Same here. BBC vids only available in UK. These things are hard to prove. The guy's excuse for missing the black was that he'd heard about the gamble and was thinking to himself "If I miss this everyone will say I threw the game" and of course the pressure got to him. Either he's telling the truth or that's a great excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Here's the final few minutes of the frame.

It's even worse than I thought. Check out the brown to blue shot. He gave it some welly. I'm rubbish at snooker and I'd have played a better shot than that.

He knocks in a nice blue, proabably thought he's never gonna get it but again the positional play is questionable. I'm no snooker expert but shouldn't he be playing that with topspin instead of striking it dead centre?

Flukes the pink and he looks like he's seen a ghost.

The black was one of the worst attempts at a pot I've ever seen by a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

the brown to blue would be the most obvious one for me nearly. I just dont see how it's possible for someone to misjudge a that shot so badly. The black is another shocker aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The lack of emotion when he potted the pink and missed the black are damning to me. He's already walking to his seat once the contact is made with the black

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I didn't realise how serious this was til I seen this...it's shocking. His excuse doesn't seem to stand up at all - he doesn't look like a man thats under a serious amount of pressure...Guilty!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

When I just saw the black being missed it looked terrible. After watching the whole frame now :eek:. He couldn't have tried any harder to lose the frame. The look on his face when he somehow poxed the pink was priceless. They should throw the book at him IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

It's not just the black. In the linked video Burnett plays some seriously awful shots (for a pro). The pink is the main point for me and his reaction, never saw someone so disappointed that they had a chance at saving the match.

What I would say though is in these cases it's always very difficult to prove anything (from a legal standpoint anyway). Unless they actually catch someone involved or at least someone attached to them it comes down to trying to prove someone played to lose.

The rumours go on and on. Darts, snooker, football etc. but it's no easier to catch the cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not so sure he looks that disappointed when he flukes the pink as others. Although the black was a shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnMoralltach

UNBELIEVABLE!
    Def think its the blue that gives it away....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

This is not a rumour and you didn't have to see the match to know a fix was in the offing, what happened beforehand with all the accounts being opened from Glasgow specifically to bet on 9-3 was obvious enough. It just goes to show you how utterly stupid these guys are. Good money to be made cheating intelligently in sports for betting purposes, this was not a good example of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

What sort of money can be made by staging these results.

Surely half a dozen bets of over a 100 on a specific outcome (an unusual one like 9-3 at that) with the same bookie would have alarm bells ringing with their traders. We all know how bookies are so reactive if they see anything over a few 100 on a wild bet.

Fools and if found guilty should never be allowed to play the game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭indenial

I've been thinking about his one since. Burnett knew before the game that the authorites were onto the game being fixed to finish 9-3. Surely he should have had the cop on to abort mission, win the final frame, take the hit and maybe try it again another time. He must have been dealing with some dodgy people as he must have known the consequences to the manner in which he surrendered defeat in that final frame.

Kieran Fallon was supposed to have been a dead man walking when he won races he had agreed to lose. As Yerac says it will still be hard to prove without hard evidence. What a plonker Burnett is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

What about the apparent "foul" on the black in the 7th frame?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKbY8zKejv8

about 1:20 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

It isnt just Burnett in on this lads.Maguire and Burnett are good mates remember. Maguire is equally as bad and should get the same punishment as Burnett. Maguire would have to play his part aswell to make sure he loses 3 frames.
    Its a pity especially for Maguire who I liked and is defo a future World Champion, because I think this could FCUK up his career.
    Be interesting if he wins the tournament, because he cheated his way into the 2nd round.MAD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

3 is a very easy acheivable target for a pro snooker player, im unsure if Maguire would risk his career like that

as for Burnett, im a punter and that kind of behaviour disgusts me to the highest degree, throw the book at him for not only doing it.. but the manner in which he done so on that video was shameful and humiliating. Especially the 7th frame where he "touches the black by mistake".............. dear god..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Healio wrote: »
    What about the apparent "foul" on the black in the 7th frame?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKbY8zKejv8

about 1:20 in.

that was hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

GerCPM wrote: »
    It isnt just Burnett in on this lads.Maguire and Burnett are good mates remember. Maguire is equally as bad and should get the same punishment as Burnett. Maguire would have to play his part aswell to make sure he loses 3 frames.
    Its a pity especially for Maguire who I liked and is defo a future World Champion, because I think this could FCUK up his career.
    Be interesting if he wins the tournament, because he cheated his way into the 2nd round.MAD

Maguire certainly wouldnt of had to play his part. Burnett winning 3 frames wouldnt be difficult at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

maguire might not have even known about the "sting".it only takes one player to throw a match.burnett only had to try and win his 3 frames and then just drop his hands,an overhit safety here, a missed pot there and just let the other guy do his stuff.the problem is that maguire was playing poorly and burnett had to hand it to him.the way the last frame panned out coulped with the bets made in glasgow is too coinsidental for there not to be something dodgy going on.i think burnetts guilty but he is not the only guilty one....
    i play snooker and i know a few pro's and i have been told a few storys about how the lower ranked players bet against themselves in the early rounds to get a few extra quid.maybe not the up and coming youngsters but definatley the "journeyman pro's" are at it all the time

Advertisement