Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

australia 12 month travel insurance

Options
  • 17-12-2008 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

anybody know what is the best way to tackle this, i currently have vhi plan b , but the goons have hiked it up to 8 hundred and something euros so im thinking of cancelling my policy , so if i did, what type of travel insurance would i need and where would be the best place to shop for it ???

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Bear in mind that there is a reciprocal health system between Ireland and Australia. So any 'necessary' healthcare is free for Irish people.

You'll still need travel insurance I guess to cover your flights luggage etc. VHI do this and this is what I used. Felt it was a better policy than to other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Bear in mind that there is a reciprocal health system between Ireland and Australia. So any 'necessary' healthcare is free for Irish people.

You'll still need travel insurance I guess to cover your flights luggage etc. VHI do this and this is what I used. Felt it was a better policy than to other companies.

really, i didnt know that , thats handy , regarding vhi , im trying to get away from them atm , they have added 25% to everybodys policy which i feel is quite unfair ,

if there is free "necessary" health care between ireland and australia then i might just go for a 12 month travel policy.

so come on all , where did you take you policy out from and what would be the average going rate ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I use www.fyi.ie (they are Accident & General). VHI are a rip off (they quoted me some insane amount for a year's coverage abroad), and there are a number of companies that offer tailor-made packages for the Independant/Youth traveller.

I'm heading again on Thursday, and having shopped around I'll probably be going with fyi again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

daftdave wrote: »

if there is free "necessary" health care between ireland and australia
    no if

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

thanks for those replies lads, i have taken out the fyi-2 policy for myself and the missus, should have us well covered.

that necessary health cover between us and australia is so handy to have as backup if needed, maybe fianna fail are not such plonkers after all !!! (thats if they were the ones that made the agreement with the australian government) !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It was probably the Aussie Government. There's no way our bunch of incompetent idiots could organise a health system capable of coming up with an idea like that (simple and all as it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Happy Dragon

I left Ierland a few days ago, same situation as yourself. f you dont renew your annual VHI & come back next year, you will have to pay for 5 years in advance before you will be put back on it.

Advertisement