Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good "mince" recipe

• 17-12-2008 4:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

The boyfriend has demanded some mince pies for christmas and I thought rather than using mince from a jar-I'd try and make it from scratch.
    Anyone have a good recipe?:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Seonad wrote: »
    The boyfriend has demanded some mince pies for christmas and I thought rather than using mince from a jar-I'd try and make it from scratch.
    Anyone have a good recipe?:o

Just a little point - it's called mincemeat. :)

The Hairy Bakers do a good one, go to bbc.co.uk/food and search mince pies, the Hairy Baker recipe is on the first page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It maybe it a little close to Christmas to give it a little aging

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you do end up using a jar, add a grated eating apple to the mincemeat. It makes a difference, and stops the pies bubbling over too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

heres a nice one i found the other day...

Mince Pies Recipe

Pastry
    225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
    125g/4oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
    100g Packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
    125g/4oz Margarine (room temperature)
    1 Egg (beaten)
    A little water, if necessary

Filling
    450g/1lb Jar Mincemeat

Dusting
    Icing sugar

Method
    1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease patty/bun tins.
    2. Put flour, sugar and ground almonds into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
    3. Rub margarine through the dry ingredients. Add the egg and water, if required and mix to a soft dough.
    4. Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead.
    5. Cover with cling film and keep in fridge until ready to use. The pastry will keep for about three days.
    6. Roll pastry on a floured board and cut rounds with a cutter to fit greased bun/patty tins. Put a teaspoon of mincemeat in each and cut a 'lid' from remaining pastry to put on top.
    7. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
    8. Dust with icing sugar.

Freezing Tips:
    1. Pastry:
    When made wrap in cling film and keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
    2. Uncooked Mince Pies
    Wrap the baking bun/patty tin with the uncooked Mince Pies in cling film and freeze. When frozen remove the Mince Pies from the tin and return to the freezer wrapped in a plastic bag. Will keep for up to 6 months
    3. Cooked Mince Pies
    These will keep in the freezer up to 3 months wrapped in a plastic bag.

enjoy:D!

• Advertisement
Advertisement