Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for starting creche?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

My son is starting creche on Jan 5 - he'll be just over 7 months old. I'm back in work on Jan 19 so am relatively flexible about how long I can leave him in for the first two weeks. He's happy enough with meeting strangers and I've left him with people for an hour or two at home and he has been fine.

Do any of you have any tips regarding introducing little ones to creche? Did you stay, did you build up the time they stayed each day, etc? I'm surprised how little there is online about this.

Also, how inevitable are the diseases once they start? I breastfed to 6 months and he's had two colds since he was born. We're not mad into sterilising everything that goes near his mouth so I'm hoping he's developed a bit of an immune system!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

It depends on your little one but I would build up the long day as soon as possible and have your routine pretty much established before you go back to work.

Unfortunately, from my own experience, creches are hotspots for every bug going. Every 2nd week, it seemed, there was an ear infection, eye infection, chest infection etc etc. This was really hard when work were less than understanding about taking time off for a sick child, and most creches won't take kids who are sick. You are entitled to 5 days parental leave when your child is sick but bear in mind that you may need more than this thoughout the year!

On the plus side, they get a lot out of being with other babies and toddlers - especially the group activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

hepcat wrote: »
    It depends on your little one but I would build up the long day as soon as possible and have your routine pretty much established before you go back to work.

Unfortunately, from my own experience, creches are hotspots for every bug going. Every 2nd week, it seemed, there was an ear infection, eye infection, chest infection etc etc. This was really hard when work were less than understanding about taking time off for a sick child, and most creches won't take kids who are sick. You are entitled to 5 days parental leave when your child is sick but bear in mind that you may need more than this thoughout the year!
    On the plus side, they get a lot out of being with other babies and toddlers - especially the group activities.

definitely agree about the bugs. our little one is constantly sick, cold, ear infection, chicken pox, cold, vomitting bug etc...

never heard about the 5 days of parental leave before. that's specific to your own company i'd say. but regardless, keep about half your holday entitlement for taking time off when the little one is sick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

hepcat wrote: »
    You are entitled to 5 days parental leave when your child is sick but bear in mind that you may need more than this thoughout the year!

Are you talking about force majeur here where you are entitled to take 3 days in a 12 month period and max 5 days over a 36 month period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I think its fairly true about bugs spreading like wildfire in creches. My aunts wee fella is 3 months younger than my daughter, and he's had endless sore throats, ear infections, colds etc. since he started in creche at the age of about 7 months.

My own daughter is with a childminder and has never had an anti-biotic, that's presumably half good luck and half the fact that she's not mixing with nearly as many kids.

Only plus side to my aunts wee fella being in creche - he's had the chickenpox. I'd rather my wee one got them earlier rather than later - I've never had them, and in adults the chickenpox virus can cause shingles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Ludo wrote: »
    Are you talking about force majeur here where you are entitled to take 3 days in a 12 month period and max 5 days over a 36 month period?

Sorry, yes this is probably correct, they were "Force Majeure" days. Find out for sure what you're entitled to, you'll probably need them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

You can start leaving him for a bit longer time each day - maybe start off with an hour or so the first day. He probably won't be tto put out if he's good with strangers & will love all the action going on ! Most of the books & child carers recommend that if they are starting to cry a little at seperation that the best thing is for the parent to leave saying that they will see them later & love them etc., as quite often the parent's reqaction can only make the child worse - sounds cruel I know. I have seen this myself though....tears when you try to leave...but you're only out the door a few minutes & they're playing away quite happily....

Yep, your little one will probably bring home all sorts of bugs, have you any breastmilk stored away? I kept giving my DD a bottle of breastmilk a day for as long as I had stocks to help her a bit & will do again now for my little man who's starting creche soon too. Yeah, I eased back a bit on the sterilising from about 6 months too.
    Hope it works out ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

+1 to all the advice above... in realtion to impending snotters, they will come in force lol. My DS started at the age of 3 and had only been sick 2 in his life dispite being around plenty of sick kids and them swapping buggers while kissing lol. However once he started he brought home the worst of the worst.... not long term illnesses but just alot of them one after the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Some general tips would be:
    -Label EVERYTHING - clothes, stuff you leave in like nappies,etc. I got plain white sticker labels for youghurts,nappies,etc that I drop in and iron-on nametags for all her clothes. The creche workers don't always know which cardi your kid was wearing when they arrived that day
    -If your child has a dodi, make sure they have a dodi chain to keep it on them. It is always to hand
    -Buy cheap,cheap,cheap clothes for creche. I bought lots of lovely little matching outfits from NEXT, but her wearing them lasted about a week. They get manky in the creched from being fed and crawling around the floor. Buy the cheapest stuff from Penneys - is great. I have separate creche clothes and weekend clothes for DD
    -If your child has comfort blanket/toy, etc, see if you can get a second one for creche. DD can't sllep without her Vtech sheep which has lights and gentle music. We bought a second one for her cot in creche. Prob drives the other kids nuts tho who are trying to sleep
    - If you are worried about anything in the creche, SPEAK TO THEM. They would rather know. Theya re generally very helpful and caring. Remember also, you are paying a lot of money so if you rather they did'nt give her a biccie for her snack or if you rather they would'nt take off her jumper every day, let them know. You have to be happy that your LO is happy
    - Try to bear in mind that they are minded in creche and looked after. They are not parented and fussed over as much as you would do it. I try to let the little things wash over me such as when her face is dirty or nose has'nt been wiped or her nappy might be a bit tight. I know my DD is being cared for and the girls do a great job and DD is very happy there. They will never do as thorough a job as you would
    - The creche is great for them - developmentally and socially. Try not to feel bad/sad/guilty. He or she will love their little pals and playing with all the kids

Hope that helps

D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hoyden

Great - thanks for that. I went into the creche today for a quick look around - coincidentally there were two other mums and babies who are starting in January there at the same time. It was rotten being there and am not looking forward to it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I could feel my heckles being raised by things like them giving the kids sugary yogurt and not giving the babies protein with their meals, so I think I'll be providing the food!

Advertisement