Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clayton Hotel sold for 1 euro????????

Options
  • 17-12-2008 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I heard last night that the Clayton hotel was supposedly sold for a nominal fee of E1.00 along with all of it's considerable debts. Gerry Barrett was mentioned as the possible buyer.

Did anyone else hear this or shed any light on it?

I have heard previously that the Clayton was in difficulties pre-recession times so it's not hard to believe it could well have been sold now that the world and his dog have no money in their pockets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Back in mid October some employees heard the whole thing was shutting down and they should be on the look out for new jobs.

So it's not without some prior rumour about financial difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jeez is that Barrett fella gonna buy the whole of Galway next??

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

I was told (again back in October) that they had stopped paying their bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I heard in September that they were going to replace their staff with monkey butlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I heard in September that they were going to replace their staff with monkey butlers.

That plan went out the window as the MBU (Monkey Bulters Union) were not happy with the pay. They wanted peanuts but were getting cash..

Any way was there not an article recently throwing doubts over Barrets financial position?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

I doubt there is much substance behind the Barrett rumours just the latest in a long line of such things that have dogged business in town. sure didnt he buy Ashford Castle during the year and besides I dont think the local rags would be renowned for their economics editors. if there was any susbtance though, it would have a huge knock-on effect for the city, he employs hundreds of people.

But back to the subject at hand it was bought by that (Jim or Pat) Mansfield person who developed City West. He used to be John Glynn's boss so there was a connection there. Paid 16M to clear the debts and then 1euro for the hotel...or so the story goes. The manager or John Glynn havent been spotted for a few weeks so there may be some truth in it!

Yeah Barrett bought Ashford and cut off access to the locals using the place for walks etc. - He had every right to, but traditionally locals were always allowed to walk through the vicinity. We used to eat there about once every 2 weeks (along with a few scoops) but stopped doing so since we heard of this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kayos wrote: »
    That plan went out the window as the MBU (Monkey Bulters Union) were not happy with the pay. They wanted peanuts but were getting cash..

Jaysus, they must have gone bananas!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JohnCleary wrote: »
    traditionally locals were always allowed to walk through the vicinity.

That's how I ended up at Shane from Boyzone's wedding reception, well outside of it at least! I saw the Sharon and Jack Ozbourne in their finery and there was me in my wellies and gammy fleece.

I didn't know Gerry Barrett had blocked off access, I was there about 2 months ago and had free reign as usual... There are a few private houses on the grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

So anybody know whats next? They knocking it down? Hardly? I'll if they emplyed monkey butler's,would make going down to Dunne's for milk a good laugh.....:D

• Advertisement

prob be kept open as a going concern. a sister hotel to the City West Hotel in Dublin. The Mansfields have pots of cash so it might be the best option for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

prob be kept open as a going concern. a sister hotel to the City West Hotel in Dublin. The Mansfields have pots of cash so it might be the best option for the place.
    I heard it'll be divided up into apartments, after all it's made up of 3 separate buildings and they are keeping the bar and business will be as usual. I also heard the locals stopped drinking there after they were turned away during race week - 'big shots' only apparently.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That's how I ended up at Shane from Boyzone's wedding reception, well outside of it at least! I saw the Sharon and Jack Ozbourne in their finery and there was me in my wellies and gammy fleece.

I didn't know Gerry Barrett had blocked off access, I was there about 2 months ago and had free reign as usual... There are a few private houses on the grounds.

There's a right of way through Ashford, so you can't be stopped from walking the paths. However, during the summer, he blocked off access to the gardens etc. to public access. This was done by putting someone at the bridge and saying "Residents Only" (as opposed to the entrance door of the hotel).

This has obviously stopped since the end of the summer, as there'd be less walkers etc.

Because of their (extra) snooty actions they have lost me and a few others' as customers - Good riddance, I now go to Lisloughrey Lodge for lunch and pints - The atmosphere is much more relaxed and the staff are bang on (Mainly students doing part time summer work)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I remember something about that now, wasn't the whole hotel let out to some well to do bignob for a weekend? It happened before years ago when Bono rented it for something or other, I remember my Mum being disgusted.

Seems a bit silly to pay a fella (2 if there was one on the back path) to keep an eye on walkers.

Found this from De Mayo News, looks like legitimate enough grounds with people taking liberties like that:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5001&Itemid=38

Joyriders causing trouble on Ashford Castle grounds

Emer Gallagher

JOYRIDERS, illegal dumping on the grounds of Ashford Castle as well as future works on the gardens and woodlands have resulted in restrictions being put in place on the grounds to vehicles – which has caused members of the local community to stage protests.
    “There are two places where there are restrictions to vehicular access. We have had problems with joyriders on the green ripping up the grounds. We have also had to pull 147 bags of rubbish, which filled three skips, as a result of illegal dumping on the grounds,” Brian Purcell, spokesperson for Ashford Castle, told The Mayo News last week.
    “As a matter of health and safety for our guests, staff and the residents of the community, we put up the restrictions.”
    Mr Purcell explained that Ashford Castle is preparing to undertake a large programme of works at the castle to restore the gardens and establish walkways through the woodland.
    “We have a programme of works in mind, which will see us restore our gardens to their former glory. The woodlands also need some attention. There’s serious overgrowth in parts and there are vast tracts inaccessible as a result. We also want to create new access walkways and paths,” said Mr Purcell.
    A total of 120 people gathered in protest at Ashford Castle on Sunday, September 7 last, over disputed access rights to the grounds of the luxury hotel. Local residents in the village of Cong said that since the five-star castle changed hands in March, they have not been allowed into its woodlands.
    Meanwhile, Mr Purcell told The Mayo News that certain people have been using the roads around the castle as ‘rat runs’ for long enough and many locals are welcoming the decision to restrict access to occasional speeding vehicles. He explained that if an accident were to happen the castle would come under fire and they were trying to ‘pre-empt’ this responsibly.
    Mr Purcell said that relations had always been good between the castle and the community, which benefits from the castle. “Cong and Ashford Castle coexist very well together,” he said. “We are aggrieved that things have come to this over our legitimate concerns about what is going on but we will be speaking on an ongoing basis with the local community.”
    The landmark hotel was purchased almost a year ago by Galway-based property investor Gerry Barrett of Edward Holdings for €50 million from a consortium of Irish-American business parties which included Sir Anthony O’Reilly of Independent News and Media, philanthropist Chuck Feeney and Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney.
    The castle and the estate was worth €20.7 million to the local economy in 2007 and It is hoped that the employment levels will be doubled to over 350 in the next few years.

That's fair enough re. the cars and dumping, but bit of a sickener that they were stopping people WALKING around the gardens. I've never been stopped myself (I usually arrive via water so they don't bat an eye-lid) but it just seemed like a rotten attitude towards the locals. Granted they're saying that they're re-doing the gardens, but whats the difference between a walker and a walker who's resident at the castle?

Let's see their reaction next summer, if they remove restrictions on the walkers then no prob. TBH if people were ripping up and down the place in cars then fair enough, but the roads are more like tracks on the west of Cong River, no chance you'd be able to 'joyride' there tbh

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's fair enough re. the cars and dumping, but bit of a sickener that they were stopping people WALKING around the gardens. I've never been stopped myself (I usually arrive via water so they don't bat an eye-lid) but it just seemed like a rotten attitude towards the locals. Granted they're saying that they're re-doing the gardens, but whats the difference between a walker and a walker who's resident at the castle?

Let's see their reaction next summer, if they remove restrictions on the walkers then no prob. TBH if people were ripping up and down the place in cars then fair enough, but the roads are more like tracks on the west of Cong River, no chance you'd be able to 'joyride' there tbh

Dont ask me...i had a coke there when i was about 9, havent been back since!

Totally off-topic now but how long does it take to get from Galway to Ashford by boat? that would be some way to arrive.

Dont ask me...i had a coke there when i was about 9, havent been back since!

Totally off-topic now but how long does it take to get from Galway to Ashford by boat? that would be some way to arrive.

Depends on the speed of the boat :)

It's about 26miles from the River Corrib to Ashford - Takes me about 40mins if i'm pushing it, anything up to an hour if i'm cruising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

I wonder how could Barrett could buy the Clayton given that it was recently reported that the business had posted a loss of a few million. Surely there has to be a lot of debt there. The debt is the same as pre recession but the same money isn't coming in.

Also is it the Clayton Hotel (actual building) or the business that is for sale. i'd imagine that they are legally two different companies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That rumour has been doing the rounds for ages. Any time I've been in it it's been fairly busy, and I've heard that they're very busy with functions.

It's a really nice venue; it's be a shame to see it disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I heard that Francie Barrett is going to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I don't see why any Ballybrit locals would go there after race week. The noise level was ridiculous and just completely disrespectful. I live(d) in the apartment block directly beside it and at 12 o clock I could hear the DJ clearly from everywhere in my apartment. Whatever **** gave them permission to put a marquee outside should be fired! A neighbour of mine, who is in the block nearer planned her annual trip home to Poland with her young child for race week because of the noise she had endured the year before. Another neighbour was refused entry into the hotel, and they only relented when he threatened to rally up other tenants to get them shut down for noise pollution.
    Mind boggling to see police out there, directing traffic and standing around in a completely residential area with music blaring from a hotel all night. It went on 'til 2 most nights!

It's a gorgeous hotel, but honestly the bar food in there is muck. You'd get something better at the Spar or Centra up the road. Heard food at functions has been good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Clayton is ding alot of business , as in functions and what not and they are very busy and booked out most of the time but im told they just cant seem to make ends meet, paying suppliers and staff etc. So they let a good few members of staff go recently, didnt hear anything about it being sold but i was aware of their financial difficulties paying the mortgage alright.

Yeah the race week thing was a disgrace,turfing out the locals like that. You had to have a 'guest pass' to get in (past the two sets of security at the gate!) and apparantly they had been handing them out to the locals in the weeks running up to race week but maybe not .....

2 ads for the Clayton Hotel on Galway Bay FM today within 5 mins of each other... so whatever about the hotel, they're still being advertised for functions/weddings etc...

Wasn't it around the time that Gerry Barrett bought the Eyre Square shopping centre that the hippy market vanished and the christmas display shrank?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Wasn't it around the time that Gerry Barrett bought the Eyre Square shopping centre that the hippy market vanished and the christmas display shrank?
    He stole Christmas? The dastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wills56

Driving past the hotel yesterday evening (19.30) and all the lights were out. At this time of year not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I live up near there myself.
    The rumours that the pace was about to shut/go under were first heard by me during race week (after I heard the hotel had cancelled a wedding reception or two) The weddings were around the time of the FF convention there, as it later transpired, so that was why the weddings were cancelled. It was relatively short notice though and not good for future receptions if they werent compensated.
    The rumours have failed to go away though, heard them in a few spots. Then a few months ago in the advertiser I see and article outlining how they were looking for planning to expand...which was strange if they were about to fold or be sold.
    I've only ever had a couple of pints up there, the food is way to expensive to be eating lunch there. There always seem to be a few in the bar and the regular enough function but I think for a place that big to survive they need a function almost daily with a generous enough room occupancy rate.
    Like one of the last posters, I go by there a lot and one block of the hotel is almost entirely dark all the time, not good for occupancy rates. The hotel does well enough around race week but that really isnt enough. I think the long term plan was to have a hotel just of the new Dublin road (due to open in a couple of years) and that location would attract more business and possibly conferences etc.
    Way too many hotels around Galway though, there's bound to be a few closures.

In relation to Ashford. I had heard that those walk closures were temporary and on health and safety grounds due to the number of imrpovements that were taking place in the grounds during the Summer and that they've opened since.....

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

lights off as i passed it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

lights off as i passed it there

lights off agian tonight so i drove the car in , notice up syaing closed from the 23rd and open the 27th at 1 pm

Advertisement