Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

are Brown Brothers a shop or a manufacturers? we were talking about making our doors more secure so this sounds perfect. also thinking about a yale lock for the front door. will a locksmith fit both for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Does anyone know, roughly, how many places have been burgled?

Put the alarm on while in last night for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

are Brown Brothers a shop or a manufacturers? we were talking about making our doors more secure so this sounds perfect. also thinking about a yale lock for the front door. will a locksmith fit both for us?
    A shop. They will fit it for you, but that will cost alot more. Do it yourself, they will tell you how in the shop. Garrison are the manafactuer

Does anyone know, roughly, how many places have been burgled?

Put the alarm on while in last night for the first time.

I dont know how many, but I have been told of quite a few.

To augment this I am planning on adding a standard sliding bolt type lock to the top of the back doors. It does mean the back doors can never be opened from the outside which in fairness this should never be needed.
    A good idea, back doors are a favourite target.
    anyone else have ip cameras in their home for security reasons. I have a few questions re storing the images etc.
    An easy to use software package comes with them as you will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

My parents' house was broken into a while ago and they ended up not taking anything. The only new-fangled bit of gear was a flat screen tv, and they didn't bother with that. Was only a 26", most knackers would have at least a 32", so I'd say they turned their noses up at it.

What are the main things that burglars go for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

My parents' house was broken into a while ago and they ended up not taking anything. The only new-fangled bit of gear was a flat screen tv, and they didn't bother with that. Was only a 26", most knackers would have at least a 32", so I'd say they turned their noses up at it.

Loose cash for definite, jewelry as well i'd imagine, laptops etc. I mean it's logical that they would be taking small things that are easy to get out of the house and can be offloaded pretty easily.

A mate of mine got robbed and they tore the house apart and only took cash. This time of year they would be going for the presents though, they're well aware that there are more goods in the house this time of year than any other time. There's no morals in theft but it's particularly ruthless doing it this time of year.

The above and car keys (then your car), mobile phone, credit cards
    The only new-fangled bit of gear was a flat screen tv, and they didn't bother with that
    They wont get much for it and it is too big and bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Eoin D wrote: »
    Loose cash for definite, jewelry as well i'd imagine, laptops etc. I mean it's logical that they would be taking small things that are easy to get out of the house and can be offloaded pretty easily.

A mate of mine got robbed and they tore the house apart and only took cash. This time of year they would be going for the presents though, they're well aware that there are more goods in the house this time of year than any other time. There's no morals in theft but it's particularly ruthless doing it this time of year.

Generally speaking - day = jewellery - night = cars.
    I was down at the station yesterday and asked had they upped patrols to counter the increase in burglaries? They're doing their best but they say that there are 4 estates being targetted. The Garda told me that the guys know where they are, they're scanning the radios. Didn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This is the problem with the analogue system they're using. Anyone with a scanner can pick up their radio signal and stay one step ahead. A new digital system was being considered a while back, don't know what ever came of it.

To be fair to the Gardai I'm sure they're doing their best and are obviously being stretched at this time of year without all of this going on too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

This is the problem with the analogue system they're using. Anyone with a scanner can pick up their radio signal and stay one step ahead. A new digital system was being considered a while back, don't know what ever came of it.

To be fair to the Gardai I'm sure they're doing their best and are obviously being stretched at this time of year without all of this going on too!

This is true.

I think rather than have the Gardai call to your home after a break in ask them to come around beforehand. They will have a quick look around your house and tell you were you might need an extra lock or whether it's worth getting alarm.

An active Neighbourhood Watch scheme is needed in Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

To be fair i do see a number of marked and unmarked Garda cars do the rounds of the estate every day, in fact they almost crashed into me in the Superquinn underground carpark yesterday.

While its unlikly they will catch anyone red handed that way, it should act as some sort of deterrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Don't they have mobile phones?

Don't they have mobile phones?
    Actually, when they were in my place, the call they got for a car robbery in Killincarrig was on a mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Hope they caught that agile young murderer in the balaclava over in Howth. Those super sleuths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Two weeks ago I was woken by one of the dogs, he'd hopped up and was barking at the back door. Since his hearing is waaaaay better than mine, I thought I should check it out. I'm on the boundary and lo and behold there was a guy walking down the boundary wall. At this stage the bigger dog had joined us, he has a bark like a wolf, and together with the bared teeth (the dogs, not mine) , yer man was gone like a shot.

I told the neighbours by way of making sure they put the alarm on at night. But it was the dogs who got the thanks (!), the neighbours were delighted with their performance.

Ah, those moronic beasts have their uses............;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

What use is a dog when it barks 24/7....??

I hope all had a great christmas and nothing was nicked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

None at all, like an alarm system that is constantly going off, - my dogs know only to kick off when there is good reason to, and so are extremely useful, and which is why the neighbours are happy to have them around and pay attention to them when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi Guys, I had an attempted breaking yesterday at 6pm. I was only down the road when we got a call to our mobiles that our alarm had been triggered. We raced up to the house as the alarm has never gone off before and the back door had been opened with a crow bar in 3 places exactly on the lock points. They didnt take anything thank God as the blarring alarm must have given them a fright. The police said we were lucky we had an alarm as most time if the house is broken into any kind of deterent will work otherwise they will grab what they can. We think they may have had a look out as a lovely neighbour called in to let us know he saw some guy walking around aimlessly up to know good at the same time of the breakin and another neighbour noticed a blacked out car also near our house driving slowly around the green so we got the reg and reported it just in case . So thanks to the great neighbours for noticing and letting us know. I was broken into 5 years ago in Drumcondra and had no alarm and they took everything downstairs and it was heartbreaking so I am just so happy. Still love living here and wanted to tell anyone without an alarm - please for peace of mind and not to have the heartache of finding your place ransacked get anykind of alarm that will deter these scumbags:D

Glad to hear all was ok.
    I've a suggestion for the next AGM. Dump the free bus that half the people in the estate can't use anyway and hire a security company!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Inch,

You said they used a crowbar on the back door, are you in a 2 or 3 bed and have you many houses either side.

What I mean is I am in a 2 bed terrace and for the scumbags to get to my back door would involve quite a bit of fence climbing for them. The fences are high so I am wondering would that put them off.

Also the chances of being spotted during the day are high as they tansverse the gardens. Night time fence jumping might be a runner though.

I don't think it makes a difference where you are, our neighbour was broken into about about 6 months back. They are in the mid-terrace 3 bed. Thats about 8 fences they had to jump to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JanMolby14

I totally agree with a previous suggestion of ditching the bus service and using the funds for some security for the estate.

Call me old fashioned but isnt that police's job? Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

If the security was to see anything, ringing the Guards is the first thing they would do!

Neighbourhood watch may be as good an idea?

Would rather see Gards cars driving around the green in Charlesland every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Maybe look into the neighbourhood watch scheme. It is being set up at the moment in Eden Gate. Re the gardai, I see them driving around Eden Gate most days, recently there has been one cycling around the estate on a bicycle. Do they not visit most estates or is it just because of the recent break ins in Eden Gate that I have seen them here?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

The Court has a neighbourhood watch scheme

We set up a neighbourhood watch scheme in our estate about 2 years ago. The Gardai were very helpful and organised a well atteneded meeting with all residents. They gave some good advice and we all look out for each other now. If someone is away on holidays etc. we ensure a car is parked in their drive and post is collected (rather than have it in a pile inside their door). Since the scheme was set up the Gardai drive around our estate quite a bit at differnent times. Someimes the just park up in the estate for 5 or 10 minutes I would guess this is to be sure that they are seen. We have had no problems since the scheme was set up, but we did before that.

I have to say that the few times I required the help of the local Gardai (Greystones) they were great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

I have noticed the gardai doing the rounds on at least 3 occasions in the Grove during the past week

Advertisement