Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HMV Boxset prices slashed

• 17-12-2008 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

HMV have been on a price cutting spiral recently and I noticed yesterday that some of their boxsets have been heavily reduced, e.g.

West Wing complete collection reduced to €79

24 Series 1 - 6 €89

Many others reduced in price - this was in the Henry Street, Dublin 1 store.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

24 Seasons 1-6 is £67.49 on the hmv.co.uk site, delivered to Ireland. Thats around 75 euro.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=699125

*may be liable for duty on import*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Also Rocky collection (including the new one) - 19.99
    Aliens and Predator box set (all 4 aliens , 2 predator and two avp movies) -19.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Cionád wrote: »
    24 Seasons 1-6 is £67.49 on the hmv.co.uk site, delivered to Ireland. Thats around 75 euro.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=699125

For the extra couple of quid I'd rather keep the lads in Dublin in a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

johnfás wrote: »

What about the 'lads' who work for the HMV website?

mathie wrote: »
    What about the 'lads' who work for the HMV website?

They are based in a foreign jurisdiction with a market of some 80 million people. You perhaps underestimate what unemployment levels will be in Ireland at the end of next year. A collapse of the retail sector may well have an impact on your own employment prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I'd imagine most would rather save money. Thanks Cionád.

They are based in a foreign jurisdiction with a market of some 80 million people. You perhaps underestimate what unemployment levels will be in Ireland at the end of next year. A collapse of the retail sector may well have an impact on your own employment prospects.

Which is also part of the common market.
    http://europa.eu/pol/singl/index_en.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭aidz

thx op...

thats a great deal...think i'll pay the extra €7-8 to the irish shop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ffs why don't these and amazon have the details of whats on the dvd, the eps, the extras etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

West Wing complete collection reduced to €79

Zavi has been selling that for €69 for a long time.

You can pick it up on Amazon for around €60 includes delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

And what about the postman?

Cionád wrote: »
    Which is also part of the common market.
    http://europa.eu/pol/singl/index_en.htm

Did I say it was illegal or unlawful? No.

Merely said I would rather spend the money within the Irish economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Did I say it was illegal or unlawful? No.

Merely said I would rather spend the money within the Irish economy.

By spending money in a British-owned store?

And what about the postman?

The postman is a public servant. His job is not particularly at risk. Furthermore, An Post receives very little payment for delivery of parcels sent from outside the jurisdiction. The vast majority of your postage payment will go to Royal Mail. A payment of 75 euro for a product outside of Ireland deprives the tax revenue of 15 euro in VAT and a salary for Irish worker. People who consistently do that have no right to complain when public services end up being cut.
    mathie wrote: »
    By spending money in a British-owned store?

Which pays VAT, rent, light, heat, insurance and rates in Ireland and which employs Irish people in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ lads... what are ye on about?! :rolleyes:

Back on topic please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I do not think Guernsey is in the EU.

Do HMV not send from The Channel Islands, just like play.com.

If it is in fact sent from Guernsey you could get a bill for VAT on items over €22 like boxsets.

boopolo wrote: »
    I do not think Guernsey is in the EU.

Do HMV not send from The Channel Islands, just like play.com.

If it is in fact sent from Guernsey you could get a bill for VAT on items over €22 like boxsets.

In fact you are correct, it's operated by HMV Guersey. So there may be a VAT payment on importation. The shop may well be the cheaper option this time.
    basquille wrote:
    Back on topic please!
    sorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Price of the Deluxe Sopranos boxset has been cut by £10 since last week, with ye olde student discount that makes £83.49 or €91.40 including delivery. Was in HMV in Henry street last week and they were selling the boxset for €139.99, with a student discount that would have been €125.99. So buying online means a saving of €34.59.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

i'm a big fan of buying online but to be fair to HMV, they have some good reductions at the mo (thank YOU recession) and big boxsets like 24 would be likely to stick out in the post and go missing IYKWIM. What I can't understand is that HMV were selling the individual series of 24 for €45 each right beside the complete boxset of series 1 - 6 for €89.

And I didn't mean to start a war about buying online or in the shops here - its everyone's individual choice in the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

remember hmv ship from guernsey hence customs could have fun with your parcel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

TheDriver wrote: »
    remember hmv ship from guernsey hence customs could have fun with your parcel

I haven't had trouble ordering from them or PLAY.com before as far as customs go, I know there's a bit of a crackdown at this time of year but I'm hoping I wouldn't get stung.

Advertisement