Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portarlington!! Whats coming??

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Appologies if this has been discussed elsewhere...

I see that there are 3 gaping holes after been made in the town:

1. Where the old hackets bookmakers used to be (beside Toms bar)
    2. Beside Kellys in the square
    3. Beside the Weighbridge

Anyone have any ideas whats going to replace these buildings ???

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

The inforamtion below may not be correct. I sourced the information from here
    http://193.178.1.178/laois_gplan/
    It's a map which isn't very clear so i may have made a few errors.

Where hackets was:

renovate & extend premises to include incorporating adjacent property formally Hacketts Bookmakers. The proposal also includes constructing extra bedrooms & assoc. facilities. Permission is also sought for change of use of the Hackets Bookmakers Premises to public house & assoc. accomodation

Beside Weighbridge:

demolish existing dormer bungalow of approx. 78m2 and ancillary sheds and the construction of a 3 storey mixed use development to consist of 4 no. 2-bed apartments, 1 retail unit of approx. 65m2 and 1 restaurant of approx. 52m2 with on site parking for 4 cars and 4 cycles.Access to the car park is via the existing access on to Spa Street. The development also consists of landscaping works, associated drainage and site works.The proposed development abuts The Weighbridge Inn which is a protected structure but it is not within the curtilage of a protected structure

Beside Kellys in the Sq.

construct a two storey apartment and associated site works

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

Found this on the Laois Co. Co. website

demolish existing derelict building formerly Hacketts. Permission is also sought to re-instate a new similar 2 storey building with extensions to the rear incorporating shop unit at ground floor level with 2 no. apartments over at first floor level

Also...

French Quarters: change use from existing public house to restaurant and associated works

Has this happened yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

kikel wrote: »
    The inforamtion below may not be correct. I sourced the information from here
    http://193.178.1.178/laois_gplan/
    It's a map which isn't very clear so i may have made a few errors.

Beside Weighbridge:

demolish existing dormer bungalow of approx. 78m2 and ancillary sheds and the construction of a 3 storey mixed use development to consist of 4 no. 2-bed apartments, 1 retail unit of approx. 65m2 and 1 restaurant of approx. 52m2 with on site parking for 4 cars and 4 cycles.Access to the car park is via the existing access on to Spa Street. The development also consists of landscaping works, associated drainage and site works.The proposed development abuts The Weighbridge Inn which is a protected structure but it is not within the curtilage of a protected structure

As far as I know this was refused on appeal so not sure what's really going on here.....

Decision Date: 04/07/2007 Manager Order #: 1218
    Decision Type: REFUSED Number of Conditions: 4
    Grant Date: Grant Mangers Order #:
    Section 47 Apply?: Part 5 Apply ?:

Noel and Pat are taking over the world!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jgally wrote: »
    Found this on the Laois Co. Co. website

demolish existing derelict building formerly Hacketts. Permission is also sought to re-instate a new similar 2 storey building with extensions to the rear incorporating shop unit at ground floor level with 2 no. apartments over at first floor level

Also...

French Quarters: change use from existing public house to restaurant and associated works

Has this happened yet??

the french quarters planning has not been acted upon..... i think there was another application after the 'restaurant' one to change it into a 'pharmacy'.....

kikel.... there is no planning application in on the lands in the square beside kellys.... that permisison for two apartments was on the next building up... and was refused anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Anybody know whats been developed opposite Siac on the Lea road? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jgally

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the french quarters planning has not been acted upon..... i think there was another application after the 'restaurant' one to change it into a 'pharmacy'.....

Great just what we need another pharmacy!! 4 is already too much :mad:

jgally wrote: »
    Great just what we need another pharmacy!! 4 is already too much :mad:

i cannot see this permission being acted upon... as you say theres very little markey for it.. especially in that location...

even a restaurant could be a hard sell there... little parking etc

port wrote: »
    Anybody know whats been developed opposite Siac on the Lea road? Thanks in advance.

Think this is it,

http://www.laois.ie/planning/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=08355

sydthebeat wrote: »

kikel.... there is no planning application in on the lands in the square beside kellys.... that permisison for two apartments was on the next building up... and was refused anyway...

Wrong twice in the one page. D'oh

Wrong twice in the one page. D'oh

LOL ah kiks, you know we love you really!!!!!

Come buy us a drink!!!

• Advertisement

LOL ah kiks, you know we love you really!!!!!

Ah, thanks.
    Come buy us a drink!!!

Ah, no, maybe next year

:o sorry kik... didnt mean to be picking you up on things....

What ya apologising for. I was wrong, no biggy.

What ya apologising for. I was wrong, no biggy.

Don't be nice to him sydthebeat, he's making us wait for 12 days before he buys us booze :D:D

Don't be nice to him sydthebeat, he's making us wait for 12 days before he buys us booze :D:D

Sorry, Curvy. i meant the Chineese new year. ie 26 jan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Development address is Kennels Cross,Emo..........is this the relevant link?

Development address is Kennels Cross,Emo..........is this the relevant link?

I see where the confusion is. I pulled that information from the map on Laois Co. Co. website. That development i link to is roughly where that building works is going on.

Look in at the site and you'll see a small buidling which definetly isn't a house. The application i link too want a 8x4m building. I assume that it.

Emo's waste is going to be pumped the 9km to port and fed into Ports waste treatment plant.

Thats my understanding anyway. If someone wants to tell me i am wrong go ahead. It won't be the first time. :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fefe

Thats the new recycling centre, granted planning permission under Part 8 of planning & development act 2000

fefe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobic

I heard dominos pizza (or one of those pizza places) was coming to portarlington either beside kellys pub or next to Tom's bar??

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

no, I heard that the guys who own the chippers across from the Anvil are opening a pizza place beside O'Deas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 chevy

wheres Kellys pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

its at this point i must throw in "Lads. Where's Tom's Bar????"

LMAO @ portsbest!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fefe

Ruby-J wrote: »
    its at this point i must throw in "Lads. Where's Tom's Bar????"

LMAO @ portsbest!!!! ;)
    Next to Tina's chinese (the good year) take away!!! prob the best pub in town!!! music most fri and sat nites

fefe

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

:eek: fefe! The BEST pub in the town! Granted there is music but the type of music :eek:

Was in it once NEVER again!!

Walks away shuddering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Snap

The Anvil for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clark Griswald

fefe wrote: »
    Next to Tina's chinese (the good year) take away!!! prob the best pub in town!!! music most fri and sat nites

fefe

Much better pub when it was the Dublin Bar but I might be a little bias.

Advertisement