Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Partnership is the only way forward"... My b*llox!

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Well, Biffo apparently has an economic plan for recovery that will be revealed to us all possibly tomorrow or Friday. This plan apparently involves a strong "partnership" theme, as according to Biffo, "partnership" is the only way for us to move forward and to get over and beyond the economic grand canyon we appear to be looking at...

Is this just me being cynical or is "partnership" not what has us in this mess to a certain degree???

The unions that engage with the partnership process in this country represent the highest paid and most protected and closeted employees that can be found in the country, for example in the ESB, Irish Rail, etc.

I'm all for partnership, but how many people in this country in the private sector are actually represented by a union??? Many of the US Multinationals in Ireland are openly hostile to unions, so how are their employees going to be represented in this partnership process that is seeking to move the country out of the current economic calamity???

I think this is a joke, what kind of partnership arrangement involves only talking to minority of employees who happen to be in a unionised workplace??? Also, I think the unions of this country would benefit hugely from a new intake of members who have more realistic and modest expectations than their current crop of members who would appear to have a collective "siege" mentality and will only stop jumping up and down and stop talking about strikes when they have money thrown at them...

I think it's long past time for legislation to provide for compulsory union recognition in the workplace and then we will have real partneship, not a two tiered industrial model where the voice of the majority of employees in the country is not even heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The whole social partnership buisness is well past its sell by date but it apears to have become so embedded into the political culture it won't be got rid of now.

Whatever is revealed this week is almost certainly going to be too little, compromised by the need to keep the public unions' big wigs happy.

Advertisement