Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good/busy pub for 30th birthday in January?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hitting the big 3-0 in a few weeks, and was hoping to get a crowd together for a shindig.
    I dont want to be too formal and hire a function room (dont have enough friends anyway!).

I have been thinking about reserving a few tables in a pub, hoping (desperately) that I'll have approx 50 people.

The options pub wise are The Cottage Bar in Salthill, upstairs in Busker Brownes, Massimos or the Kings Head.

Hoping to get some amount of finger food and if there was a dj playing some music, all the better. Would need a few tables together if we were to get food.

I've heard that the Cottage in Salthill will do a nice spread of tasty food for a party, but I've no idea if there is usually music there on a Saturday night. Even background music would probably be enough. Also I think they have a room to the side of the main bar which might do the job.

Can anyone give advice/tips on which venue would be best, or suggestions for other venues I should consider?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

been at a few thirtieths in the ruby room in the kings head recently. that might be a place to try. they seemed to go off pretty well and at least its exclusively yours. in the others there will always be a bit of spill over...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I think the Ruby room has a charge of €150 to use it though? That would be what I'd be hoping to spend on food, I dont really want to have to pay for room hire or dj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

send a text around that ur going out. name a location, see who turns up no fuss. Did that and had agreat night. Didnt cost a thing either.Massimos. Best attitude and atmosphere if u want to get around talking to all the friends who visit ur bday.
    Enjoy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

The side section of Monroes can be reserved for birthdays and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Check out the back of Massimos. One of my friends had his 30th there. Got a nice crowd, and the pub doesnt get too packed.

• Advertisement

So you wouldn't bother with food then, even finger food? I had considered Massimos alright as I do quite like the pub.

Still thinking about Cottage in Salthill though as I have heard that its nice for a small group...

Decisions, decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

maybe check out that new place - the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Dáil was paaacked last night, but that may be just the pre-chrismo thing.

Massimos do pizza too :)

Cottage is yummy, I was at a couple of things there, but they were early in the day.

Do Front Door have an area to seal off? I mean, anyone know if that's something they offer? Loads of snacky things and small areas to take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Dail was packed twice this week when i was in it and that was weekdays, drink is way overpriced IMO though... had my 21st in the ruby room and it didnt cost me anything and you can choose how much you want to spend on food and they provide a dj and your own bar up there too so i was well pleased!

Friend of mine's hubby had his 30th in Ruby room recently and she said it costs 150 room hire, plus about an extra 140 for dj. Then food on top of that. So that's out I think - wonder how you got it for free banshee bones?!

The Dáil is out, too new & seems too young from what I've seen of it (which isn't a whole lot admittedly).

Lots of people suggesting upstairs in Buskers, think they might throw in some free food also - anyone know more about this option?

I hate the front door pub so def wont be going there.

Am a bit concerned that the cottage might be a bit 'atmosphere-less' - and not sure if there's any music there.

Massimos only really gets going late in the night usually.

I'm not a big fan of the Skeff and never drink in Fibbers or any of the prospect hill pubs...

This is a lot harder to choose than I though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Upstairs in Buskers?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

The Office bar in Salthill, good sized back room and great Guinness

ok, so I went to the Cottage in Salthill on New Year's eve to suss out the atmosphere and thought it was pretty good - background music, lots of seperate rooms, good food.
    Has anyone else been to a function there at night time? It looks like its down to either there or Massimos at this stage - main problem I have with Massimos is that I'm not a huge fan of the music played in there.
    Time is ticking now, I need to start sending out texts - help me decide, please!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

buzz55 wrote: »
    ok, so I went to the Cottage in Salthill ....
    Has anyone else been to a function there at night time?

Yup, a christmas do a couple of years ago. Was a very good night. Good food, great beer selection, laid back atmosphere that encouraged mingling, yet gave us our own space.

If you go there, you might want to check if it's possible to book the side room though.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Yeah I've been to a function in the cottage, would really reccomend it and the food is really nice as well. The only thing is you are a bit out if you wanted to go into town afterwards. But then you are close to the Warrick which, in my opinion, is the only 'night club' to bother about when you are aged 25 or over:D

The Cottage in Salthill it is, decision made. Thanks for all the input!

Just re the Warwick, what time does it close? And when do they stop letting people in? Just in case the urge comes upon us to head for a bit of a boogie, has been known to happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Massimo's is a good spot...give them a call.

Right, I have booked the Cottage in Salthill.

Hoping I'll now have around 50 people. Thing is, how do I know how much food to order?! I want there to be enough but not too much - their prices are steep enough without anything going to waste. I'll have my own cake.

One part of me is thinking that most people do not expect to get properly 'fed' at 10pm at night, while the other is panicking that I dont get enough and it looks a bit mean :(

Can anyone who was at a function there before remember what was served/what seemed to go the quickest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

buzz55 wrote: »
    Right, I have booked the Cottage in Salthill.

Hoping I'll now have around 50 people. Thing is, how do I know how much food to order?! I want there to be enough but not too much - their prices are steep enough without anything going to waste. I'll have my own cake.

One part of me is thinking that most people do not expect to get properly 'fed' at 10pm at night, while the other is panicking that I dont get enough and it looks a bit mean :(

Can anyone who was at a function there before remember what was served/what seemed to go the quickest?

I'm trying to organise somewhere for my 21st in a couple of months and I'm probably just going to order finger food and stuff for half or maybe slightly more than half the number of people I'm expecting. Most people won't be expecting a big feed late at night when they're wasted. I personally never feel like food when I'm at a party like that drinking.

A few people I've spoken to said you wouldn't need to order for the full amount. One of the venues I enquired with said if I order finger food and sandwiches for 50 people they would gaurentee that there would be enough food for over 100 people.

I know what you mean though, it would look aweful if there wasn't enough food but I don't want to waste a load of money on food that won't be eaten either.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Does anyone know if the Warwick is still open? Heard a rumour that the nightclub has closed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Wherever you choose have a good time and Happy Birthday.

I had mine a few years ago in Massimos, everyone had a good time, everyone got baseless. Regarding places to go I would recommed Krcma (i'll get to it), the Cottage, Massimos or Monroes. The ruby room, buskers, etc are non-starters for the reason that they are overdone and it wont' be anything new to your crowd.

You could do alot worse than popping into Krcma (Slovakian pub in Salthill) and having a look downstairs. Marcel (manager and a top man) has it done up and it is very very nice. Room for fifty, your own bar and toilets right next to you. On top of that, music, great service and a very chilled out environment. Also, Krcma is one of those pubs that lets you have a bit of craic without any BS (the way irish pubs used to be) from idiotic staff, bouncers etc etc etc. I am slightly biased as I live in Salthill and know Marcel and co... but the only reason I know them is because they run a good show and I always enjoy hitting there for a few beers and jager-bombs with the mates.

Wherever you pick have a good time and party hard, and enjoy your birthday.

Advertisement