Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car history check - is it worth?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello everyone,

I am about to buy used Mercedes C class, but I wonder whether to check it by car history check tools (like this one: cbg car history check). Could anyone tell me whether it is worth to check a car?
    Do you have any experience in that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's good check for outstanding finance. Don't forget to check the service history. If there are no invoices, only stamps, then make sure to call each garage who stamped the book to make sure that the correct work was carried out. I looked at a car recently which had its 30k service stamped in the book - when I called the garage they told me that they had been instructed to omit all the expensive work - basically the car just had an oil change and the book stamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gunther80

Thank you for your answer. Than I think Id better do the history check.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Also books cant be "had" fraudulantly (sp?) I wuld prefer to see invoices.

If the car is an import then definitely get an HPI or similar check. The percentage of UK imprts with tampered mileages is incredibly high !

You could get an AA inspection too or get a mechanic you trsut to look at it. these cars wear their mileages very well, there can easily by 100k more than what is shown on the clock.

Check the netire body for signs of damage and rust and also head gaskets go on early ones and rads split.

What year/model is this car BTW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,411 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

moved from classic cars to the main motors forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ResDub

Just wondering bar the obviously physically looking at the odometer surrounds and the condition of the car is there any other way of finding out if a car has been clocked.

Also can the Irish cars be checked for previous mileage, do any of the Irish car check sites have access to the nct data.

Came across this site before it looks out of date is there anything else similar does anyone know ?

http://www.inch.ie/index_.php/about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gunther80

What year/model is this car BTW ?
    Well, I was planning to buy C class year 1999 or 2000.

Advertisement