Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hallelujah

Options
  • 17-12-2008 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Three versions of the song 'Hallelujah' are expected to make it into the Christmas top 40.

X Factor winner Alexandra Burke's cover, which will likely take the number one spot, has sparked interest in the track, with a version by Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen's original also destined for Christmas chart places.

A Facebook group was recently launched to push the Buckley rendition, from his 1994 album Grace, to the top of the charts. It is expected to land at number three, while Cohen's version is sitting at number 34.

"I don't think this has ever happened in UK charts history, and certainly not for Christmas," HMV's Gennaro Castaldo told the BBC.

It is a brillant track - my fav has to be Buckley's version

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cohens version to me is definitely the best, the original, sang with true meaning. Buckley does a nice version and puts his heart into it too. Alexandra certainly has a good voice but the song was thrown at her and my conspiracy is that the Xfactor people actually thought Diana Vickers was going to win so got the rights for this song to have ready for her as she did a pretty nice version of it at the start of this years Xfactor.

It's a great song and is quite hard to make sound bad, but the conviction of Cohen outweighs all versions.

The closest runner up in my opinion is infact this version though:

It's done in the tune of Buckleys version but if you can disregard that at least 2 of the singers are pop idol contestants, which I know some people wont be able to do, and just concentrate on what you're hearing, you'll see it's a great version:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Buckleys version is outstanding. I doubt it will ever be bettered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Buckley's version is one of the finest songs ever imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Prefer Cohen's version, although Buckley's is definitely the better cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It says a lot of Buckleys version that it went to number 1 in America and it's currently number three here in the singles charts after they rolled out the X factor rejects to attempt to cover it decently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I don't think anyone will better Buckley's rendition, I'm not a fan of Cohens version, the background singers and extra instruments seem to complicate the song.

It sounds best with just one instrument, i.e John Cale's and Rufus wainwight's on the piano and Jeff's on the guitar. Amazing song though, never tire of it so Leonard gets the credit in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

John Cale's is my favourite. In fact, either of his versions - the studio recording on I'm Your Fan which prompted Jeff Buckley to record it in the first place, or the live version on Fragments of a Rainy Season - get my vote above any others.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

+1 for John Cale's closely followed by a number of Cohen's live versions. I don't think much of the production values on his studio version but when doing it live he made it less tinny and much warmer and melodic...like a few of the tracks off Various Positions(heart with no...and Dance me...). Rufus Wainright had a good stab at Buckley's version.

Jayzuz give me Alexandra's before Buckley's any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

+1 for the Cale version. I think i'm in a minority in hating Buckleys version; there's no doubt the lad could sing and had a fine pair of pipes, but there's too much of the noodly guitar.

Cales is beautifully understated, and he's got a voice that's just on the right side of 'lived-in'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

The version used in Shrek is very good.

I'm not sure who does it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

JP Liz wrote: »
    The version used in Shrek is very good.

I'm not sure who does it

That's the aforementioned Cale, isn't it?

EDIT:Scrap that. Google says Wainwright. I'll have to re-watch it now, to be sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

noby wrote: »
    I thought it was Wainright?

Who cares, Buckley's is best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Wainright's was the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Loved Alex's version of it on X-Factor. Hope she makes it to the top! Found Leonard Cohen's version to be dull and unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

noby wrote: »

EDIT:Scrap that. Google says Wainwright. I'll have to re-watch it now, to be sure.
    Cale's version is used in the movie but it's Wainwright's version that appears on the soundtrack.

Apart from the versions listed above, worth looking out for Allison Crowe, Elisa and kd lang. I also rather like Arooj Aftab's live version but good luck finding that. By and large they're slightly less slitty-wristy (I honestly can't manage to sit through Buckley's 9 minute Sin-é version and the breath intake at the start of the Grace version is one of the most depressing things I've ever heard). I've got about 50 versions of the song by various people for one reason or another. Lots of them aren't particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Great song though I can't stand Cohen's version. His voice just goes right thorugh me. He sounds awful. Would love if Buckleys version did do well in the charts just to show X-Factor folk how well it can be done. I heard your ones version today, she has a good good voice but no feeling to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

Happy Monday's version was great!!
    :)

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    Great song though I can't stand Cohen's version. His voice just goes right thorugh me. He sounds awful.

I suppose his voice is a bit like marmite but there's no denying his writing abilities. Listen to this, same tone of voice as Hallelujah but tell me what you think:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I actually like k.d. lang's version. I know, I know . . . but it's quite beautiful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

SeekUp wrote: »
    I actually like k.d. lang's version. I know, I know . . . but it's quite beautiful.
    I was about to post the same - I would prefer it to Jeff Buckley's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

I must admit I am a little annoyed that XFactor have covered this song. For me it isn’t a pop song and means something different to everyone who listens to it. While you could discuss it’s religious, romantic connotations for days on end .. for me personally the song means a whole deal especially in the context of my relationship with my wife.

So much so we had it sang by a friend of mine in the church at our wedding. It did get a couple of funny looks from people as most see it as a break up song.

The girl who sang the song for us knew the ups and downs of our relationship which could really be heard in her voice when she was singing, it’s a pity we never recorded her version.

Look at the positive side, it's going to expose great music and artists to a much wider audience and will surely help Cohen out a little after his ex manager pretty much robbed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

cormie wrote: »

Not bad at all considering they have a couple of soul-less gingers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Definitely prefer Cohens version as i am a fan of his. Not too fond of xfactor or buckleys versions. Something not right about them. Never knew kd lang did a version!! its quite good!! Cheers SeekUp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

No worries - glad to spread the love.

I've actually got several versions (Cohen's and Buckley's included) on my mp3 player, but when I hear hers, it just moves me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

mlelsc wrote: »
    Loved Alex's version of it on X-Factor. Hope she makes it to the top! Found Leonard Cohen's version to be dull and unimaginative.

Dull and unimaginative?? Really????

Cohen's, original!!!, version of the song is completly different to any other version out there. It is not something you sit down and go oh well that's bad and this is better. The idea that anyone could find anything bad to say about Cohen's version and then go on to praise anyone elses is ridiculous. He wrote it, it is about his life his experiences. Fair enough if you don't like Cohen i can understand that but dull and unimaginative?? If anything it's humourous, saracastic and ambiguous. Is he talking about rough f***ing, a lost love, his own reluctance to get into a relationship? Who knows.

I love Buckley's version, it's the song i always put on when I'm sad. It's a beautiful version that's filled with pain and saddness. And it has moved me to tears.

However, hearing Cohen perform it at IMMA was one of the most amazing things I have ever heard in my life. What's successful about Buckley's version is that he makes it his own. What really annoys me is the copies or Buckley's version. Why copy a copy? why copy the original either??? A cover should be all about making something new, something that respects the old one but changes it so that it's not repetitive. buckley did that and that's why it's so brilliant.

End of rant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm all up for the get Jeff Buckley's version to #1. I've downloaded it even though I don't have a working mp3 :o.
    The facebook group page for this has gone up to 70,000 plus. I actually watched most of x factor & was relatively glad that Alex won as she is a great singer. But it stings me that Hallalujah was used for it. I don't know why I feel it's untouchable (like when Bob Marley's song was used for a fecking mobile phone ad) but I do, & Jeff's is my favourite version by a landslide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Let's all buy a second copy from iTunes and teach Simon Cowell & Co that you don't mess with perfection!

Alex has an OK voice, but the Mariah Carey yodelling and and the forced-in key change RUIN the song.

Cowell will now be forever associated with the line "but you don't really care for music, do ya ?", not to mention that jackhammering it into a power ballad is ironic as f**k when you listen to the lyrics....."major falls and minor lifts", not fecking Whitney Houston drum-thump followed by key changes.....

Sacrilege, and actually unfair to the winner who isn't a bad singer but will now forever be associated by people who love music as a charlatan, while the real culprit - Cowell - goes on to release more karakoe singers and cover versions unscathed.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I dont understand... its a bunch of nice sounding chords mixed with some pseudo-christian random quotes from the bible non of which are relavant to Christmas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

Phototoxin wrote: »
    I dont understand... its a bunch of nice sounding chords mixed with some pseudo-christian random quotes from the bible non of which are relavant to Christmas...

Pseudo-christian?.............. i'm pretty sure leonard cohen's Jewish:confused:

Advertisement