Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hallelujah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

sceptre wrote: »
    Cale's version is used in the movie but it's Wainwright's version that appears on the soundtrack.

Aah, so I wasn't cracking up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Just been listening to "Hallelujah" in most of the versions on YouTube. Leonard Cohen sings in pretty much the same style (though in a lower register) as he did four decades ago on Songs of Leonard Cohen (original versions of "Suzanne" etc.). It's not a great voice, but it is his song, and he usually sings the final verse that most singers leave out (possibly because it's a bit negative and maybe even has overtones of "My Way"?) Rufus Wainwright is good as a piano version, but in the live performances his voice is too rough. John Cale is also good in his way, but the version on YouTube is spoiled by an intrusive string section. The Norwegian quartet (Kurt Nilsen, Espen Lind and others) is pleasant, with nice harmonies in the chorus. There are a couple of others that I won't mention (e.g. Jason Castro). However, despite the long intro, the one I came back to was Jeff Buckley's version.

Of the female versions, Sheryl Crow should be avoided at all costs. Alison Crowe is pleasant but didn't move me. I wasn't so annoyed as some by Alexandra Burke on The X Factor, but I agree with an earlier poster that the key change after the second verse was intrusive and unnecessary. I quite liked Kate Voegele's version, but k d lang's live version from Winnipeg was, in my view, the best of the women.

Still, it's going to be a strange Christmas No. 1 - a song first recorded nearly 25 years ago by a writer now in his mid-70s, possibly in two different cover versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

jimbling wrote: »
    Buckleys version is outstanding. I doubt it will ever be bettered.

It has been listen to John Cales cover. End of

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

breadmond wrote: »
    Pseudo-christian?.............. i'm pretty sure leonard cohen's Jewish:confused:

The very definition of pseudo-Christian surely? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I really like Jack L's version of it. Don't know if he's recorded it but he sometimes does it at his shows

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

DCC160 wrote: »
    I really like Jack L's version of it. Don't know if he's recorded it but he sometimes does it at his shows

Yea it is pretty amazing actually. He sang it acapella at one of his shows i waas at. Was spine tingling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

starn wrote: »
    It has been listen to John Cales cover. End of

a pedant writes....

Cales version was done first - in 1991 - so he didn't 'better' Jeff Buckley, if you know what i mean :D Cale did it first and did it better...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cohen uber alles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hivizman wrote: »
    Leonard Cohen sings in pretty much the same style (though in a lower register) as he did four decades ago on Songs of Leonard Cohen (original versions of "Suzanne" etc.). It's not a great voice, but it is his song

Ah come on, Cohens voice is amazing. It's very powerful and unique, listen to it in simple poetry here, although it sounds much better in CD quality than the youtube version :) As he says himself, he was born with the gift of a golden voice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

JP Liz wrote: »

Three versions of the song 'Hallelujah' are expected to make it into the Christmas top 40.

X Factor winner Alexandra Burke's cover, which will likely take the number one spot, has sparked interest in the track, with a version by Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen's original also destined for Christmas chart places.

A Facebook group was recently launched to push the Buckley rendition, from his 1994 album Grace, to the top of the charts. It is expected to land at number three, while Cohen's version is sitting at number 34.

"I don't think this has ever happened in UK charts history, and certainly not for Christmas," HMV's Gennaro Castaldo told the BBC.

I think I'm gonna vomit, vomit from my eyes, then scoop the vomit into my ears in the hope that I go deaf and never have to hear a single one of these covers.

Cohen wrote and performed a great song. Then Jeff Buckley came along and did an amazing cover. It's been mercilously butchered by a myriad of un inspired "musicians" since in a desperate cringeworthy attempt to seem thoughtfull and deep. I hope this three new cover fails miserably as it should. Anyone that buys it should never be allowed to handle their own finances ever ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

slipss wrote: »
    Anyone that buys them should never be allowed to handle their own finances ever ever again.

and the delicious irony is that Lenny himself is bound to be thrilled at all this airplay his song will get on the grounds that, um, he let somebody else handle HIS finances and they promptly f*cked off with his money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I have to say that I find it comical at some of the reactions to Alexandra Burke's version (not on here, elsewhere). I think her version is gentle at first and then the forceful part added by her in the middle gives the song some added attitude and soul (the right amount, not overkill). It's pretty good, I just hate the end with the damn vocal gymnastics. Entirely unnecessary.

I really feel that this facebook campaign was born out of shallowness rather than love for Buckleys version. It screams musical snobbery to me with people treating music as an extension of their "fashion statements" and "style". I would really love to know just how many of those signed up on the facebook campaign actually have any of Jeff Buckleys records.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I have to say that I find it comical at some of the reactions to Alexandra Burke's version (not on here, elsewhere). I think her version is gentle at first and then the forceful part added by her in the middle gives the song some added attitude and soul (the right amount, not overkill). It's pretty good, I just hate the end with the damn vocal gymnastics. Entirely unnecessary.

I really feel that this facebook campaign was born out of shallowness rather than love for Buckleys version. It screams musical snobbery to me with people treating music as an extension of their "fashion statements" and "style". I would really love to know just how many of those signed up on the facebook campaign actually have any of Jeff Buckleys records.
    I don't have any of his records.

I have a few of his CD's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I don't have any of his records.

I have a few of his CD's though.

*clap clap clap*

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I have all of them bar 1, including the live albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

you should hear kate voegele's version of this song, its brilliant, you can find it on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I have mixed emotions on this one... I was following X-Factor and quite wanted Alex to win (well after Ruth's departure anyway) and thank god she did because I think my reaction to the song choice would have been a lot worse if it was that pesky Eoghain kid that was butchering it.

I am a huge Jeff Buckley fan and have been for over 10 years, I have everything he ever recorded from the Sin-é stuff through to the Grace b-sides and stuff he did with Gary Lucas way back. So while for me Jeff's rendition is the definitive version of the song, it seems hypocritical to be protective of a song he also covered.

I guess what gets my back up is that there will be a wave of people now claiming to be life-long Jeff fans who last week couldn't have named one of his tracks. But, if that even gets a couple of people exposed to his music that otherwise would not have been, I guess it isn't a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭seadog9

Don't see why it's such a popular song myself, a bit too poncey for my taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Julesie wrote: »
    I have mixed emotions on this one... I was following X-Factor and quite wanted Alex to win (well after Ruth's departure anyway) and thank god she did because I think my reaction to the song choice would have been a lot worse if it was that pesky Eoghain kid that was butchering it.

I am a huge Jeff Buckley fan and have been for over 10 years, I have everything he ever recorded from the Sin-é stuff through to the Grace b-sides and stuff he did with Gary Lucas way back. So while for me Jeff's rendition is the definitive version of the song, it seems hypocritical to be protective of a song he also covered.

I guess what gets my back up is that there will be a wave of people now claiming to be life-long Jeff fans who last week couldn't have named one of his tracks. But, if that even gets a couple of people exposed to his music that otherwise would not have been, I guess it isn't a bad thing.

+1. I'd be ranting far more if it was Eoghan or bloody Diana :mad:
    I do think it's good Jeff is getting exposure as he SO underrated. Only ever hear his stuff on Phantom and that's once in a blue moon & usually when I text in to request it! I'm glad Alex did it, Ruth would have been first choice. But I'm already sick of hearing her sing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

kinda ot but whats the cost of Alexandra's CD single please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

meganj wrote: »
    What's successful about Buckley's version is that he makes it his own. What really annoys me is the copies or Buckley's version. Why copy a copy? why copy the original either??? A cover should be all about making something new, something that respects the old one but changes it so that it's not repetitive. buckley did that and that's why it's so brilliant.

Buckley's version was largely based upon Cale's arrangement. So while I do agree he "made it his own" to some extent, he also effectively copied a copy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I don't think this song works great with a female voice. My opinion. The version of this song that is my favourite is Jack L's version, His voice is amazing. Its hard to find it was on a cd i got free in a sunday paper years ago, now lost. any one know if its on any other cds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDWn2kGIZo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

What about Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cowellelujah: Simon rides the waves as he earns £250,000 a day for doing nothing.... thanks to his Hallelujah rights

As his X Factor protégée Alexandra Burke makes waves across the waters in Britain, Simon Cowell has been making ones of his own while holidaying in Barbados with ex-lover Sinitta.

The music mogul showed his daredevil side during an afternoon of adrenaline-fuelled water sports as he mounted a jet ski and zoomed around on the clear blue waters.

Not to be outdone, Sinitta also proved she was game for a laugh as she clambered aboard her own watermobile and zipped around with a huge grin on her face.

The expense of the luxury holiday is just a drop in the ocean for Cowell, who is currently reaping the rewards of this year's Christmas chart-toppers.

Not only is he enjoying the profits of X Factor winner Alexandra Burke's Hallelujah, his company also owns the rights to the Jeff Buckley's version and the original by songwriter Leonard Cohen.

Incredibly, all three versions expected to top the charts - Alexandra's is tipped to be the Christmas No 1 with Buckley and Cohen possibly in second and third place.

He is raking in a whopping £250,000-a-day from the tracks, according to a report today.:eek:

His label, SyCo Music, represents all X Factor winners. Leona Lewis, who won in 2006, is still signed to Syco, and is second in the midweek charts with her cover of Snow Patrol's Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have heard at least four versions of "Hallelujah" - the original studio version by Leonard Cohen, one by John Cale (only heard this one twice, but I think it was studio), the much-mentioned Jeff Buckley version and one by Rufus Wainwright with just a piano backing.

I may have also heard a live version by Leonard Cohen - I'm not sure.

Incidentally, I heard all of them on Phantom, and mainly on the now gone "Bedrock" hosted by John Caddell.

Anyway, of these four versions, for me, the Rufus Wainwright reindition is by far the best. He emphasises the haunting melody because of the raw piano accompaniment and adds his own slice of emotion to the song. Also, I just like that piano accompaniment. After that, it gets tricky for me to decide. I like them all, although it took me a long time to appreciate the version that I heard by far the most, i.e. Jeff Buckley's. His voice and the guitar are both haunting. What put me off was the length of the song and the slow intro- a test in patience really, but I eventually overcame that hurdle! Leonard Cohen's one seems somehow less contrived than the others and his nasal deep voice suits his arrangement. Hard to explain, sorry! In fact, John Cales' version has similar qualities - I need to hear that one a bit more.

Have not heard the X Factor one, and not really in a rush to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i never heard this song until x factor i have heard the original and the cover this week and i think the were very dull i like alexanders better i hope it makes it to top cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

you should hear kate voegele's version of this song, its brilliant, you can find it on youtube

+1

I think the best female version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i never heard this song until x factor i have heard the original and the cover this week and i think the were very dull i like alexanders better i hope it makes it to top cheers ;)

her verison of the song is woeful really doesnt derserve to be christmas number one, as covers go jeff buckleys its the best, altho have to agree that kate voegele's verison of it is awesome.

Advertisement