Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hallelujah

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Irish charts are up anyway. Alexandra got Christmas Number one while Buckley got number 9.

The top 10 is cluttreed with x factor related stuff

Beyonce number 2 - sang with alexandra in the final
    Leona Lewis is number 3 - former x factor winner
    x factor finalists at no 6 - The songs been out a few weeks

and while not x factor :

Geraldine McQueen's christmas song got to no 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Irish charts are up anyway. Alexandra got Christmas Number one while Buckley got number 9.

and while not x factor :

Wonder what the UK charts will be like. Just watched the video for this and Peter Kay has it spot on, I think it is a terrible version all the warbling and stomach cramp poses in the video are ridiculous. I didn't watch X-Factor but she was interviewed on ITV news and came across as really lacking in the brains department, but who needs that when you look good and can warble.

The person who really comes out on top here is Leonard Cohen fair play to him, music to slit your wrists to, but he shouldn't have to be touring at his age. Hopefully he can have a nice happy retirement with enough money left over to hire a hit man to sort that scumbag manager of his out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Diamond007 wrote: »
    +1

I think the best female version

kd lang and kathryn williams are quite brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,343 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wacko wrote: »
    The person who really comes out on top here is Leonard Cohen

More like Simon Cowell. He's minting it more than anyone.

Wonder what the UK charts will be like. Just watched the video for this and Peter Kay has it spot on, I think it is a terrible version all the warbling and stomach cramp poses in the video are ridiculous. I didn't watch X-Factor but she was interviewed on ITV news and came across as really lacking in the brains department, but who needs that when you look good and can warble.

The person who really comes out on top here is Leonard Cohen fair play to him, music to slit your wrists to, but he shouldn't have to be touring at his age. Hopefully he can have a nice happy retirement with enough money left over to hire a hit man to sort that scumbag manager of his out.

Actually the one who comes out on top is Sony records who own both what alexandra puts out and what Mr. Buckley puts out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Maybe the real ones who come out on top are those who are introduced to the music, poetry, humour and stories of Leonard Cohen. It's not all about money, I think everyone involved will have enough money after this Christmas for a roof over their head and enough food till they pass and that's the most important thing money can buy really :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

I don't think this song works great with a female voice. My opinion. The version of this song that is my favourite is Jack L's version, His voice is amazing. Its hard to find it was on a cd i got free in a sunday paper years ago, now lost. any one know if its on any other cds?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMDWn2kGIZo

Dont know about cds but its on a live dvd he released a couple of years back called Momento. Its a brilliant dvd. Hes an amazing performer, showman and crowd pleaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Im no fan of the actual song by anyone, but Buckley, jaysus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7rSNvFprRU

Anyone calling that decent is just being plain pretentious tbh. Id never actually heard his stuff before, the type of people who listed him as amongst their favourites on their bebo profiles kind of signalled it might be somewhat overrated. How right I was :confused:

Awful first song for this new artist Alexandra to get lumbered with tbh. Could curse her to one hit wonder status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

and while not x factor :

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic the way the Irish charts (and most radio playlists) follow the UK TV shows like sheep......I mean, half the time you'd swear we didn't have loads of decent artists ourselves, which we do!!

And the REALLY ironic thing is that if we had our own "X-factor" type rubbish people would snub it and laugh at it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

shane86 wrote: »
    Awful first song for this new artist Alexandra to get lumbered with tbh. Could curse her to one hit wonder status.

Lumbered? Some of the most successful recording artists of all time are falling over themselves to cover that 'awful' song...

• Advertisement

UK Chart results are in

1. Alexandra Bourke
    2. Jeff Buckley
    3. Leona Lewis
    4. Beyonce Knowles
    5. Geraldine McQueen

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

say what ye want.i just want diana vickers version on cd.great voice,unusual and the way it should be sang.............go diana!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Amazing song but the lyrics are a bit f'd up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Really it makes me sick to the core of my being that a soul-less, talent-less, flash in the pan, piece of trash like "Alex" is needed to make a song like Halleujah popular again. Id rather the song died a death than see the money crazed whores that are the x factor cash in on genuine talent like cohen/buckley.

****in shame on cohen for selling his soul to make a quick buck. I for one will certainly not wastes a penny on that cash cow anymore. Really the man has just lost all artistic integrity in one foul swoop that will forever stain his reputation.

How much is a reputation worth?? not much according to Len Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Really it makes me sick to the core of my being that a soul-less, talent-less, flash in the pan, piece of trash like "Alex" is needed to make a song like Halleujah popular again. Id rather the song died a death than see the money crazed whores that are the x factor cash in on genuine talent like cohen/buckley.

****in shame on cohen for selling his soul to make a quick buck. I for one will certainly not wastes a penny on that cash cow anymore. Really the man has just lost all artistic integrity in one foul swoop that will forever stain his reputation.

right on brother. oh wake the f*ck up, will you...as anybody who's heard Rolf Harris' version of Stairway to Heaven will tell you, the writer of a song does NOT have the right to prevent a cover version being recorded.

If there are significant changes make in the lyrics or melody, then permission can be withheld, otherwise, it's fair game.

your attack on Cohen is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do you stop listening to music which becomes popular? I'd love to hear Cohens witty response to what you just said, I'd say it would be great :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

shane86 wrote: »
    Im no fan of the actual song by anyone, but Buckley, jaysus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7rSNvFprRU

Anyone calling that decent is just being plain pretentious tbh. Id never actually heard his stuff before, the type of people who listed him as amongst their favourites on their bebo profiles kind of signalled it might be somewhat overrated. How right I was :confused:

****ing hell. Other people like different music to what you like. What the **** is going on!!!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

****in shame on cohen for selling his soul to make a quick buck.
    How much is a reputation worth??

Not what you might call a quick buck. Considering he'd retreated up a mountain to a higher Zen. Kicked off the suites and donned orange robes and sandals in the name of Buddha(or someone). Cohen, on hearing that his manager had fleeced him wasn't long in throwing on the Nike Airs and sprinting down the mountain like a Montreal version of Shylock from the Mercheant of Venice. And why wouldn't he?
    You go enjoy yourself Leonard. 25 years ago that song was written and he's eventually making money on that song that he can keep.

"How much is a reputation worth?"
    How much have you got.

Don´t worry in a couple of months we will all be strugling to remember who this girl is, she is a music prostitute and will be used until she is no longer worth anything and then thrown on the washed up talent show singers rubbish dump with the rest of them.

Anyway I am sure most of the people who bought the single are about 14 and think she wrote this wonderful song herself and she is a great song writer etc. and unfortunatly as long as there are teenagers who buy this stuff it will be around :( I wish we could pick BBC radio 1 here, they cater to the whole pop music thing yet don´t go OTT like Irish radio and have the same 10 songs on a loop all day, Alexandra is only on their C playlist ! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

go on the ronan...

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/dec/21/hallelujah-rte-dj-refuses-to-play-x-factor-winner/

(i stand by my opinion on buckleys take on it...don't like it that much, but love collins' attitude!)

• Advertisement

go on the ronan...

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/dec/21/hallelujah-rte-dj-refuses-to-play-x-factor-winner/

(i stand by my opinion on buckleys take on it...don't like it that much, but love collins' attitude!)

At least he seems to know something about music, Ian Dempsey the other day was baffled to find out that some guy called Leonard Cohen had written this song !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

:eek: jasus, just goes to show you how messed up the music business is at the moment when you have three versions of a 30 year old song(albeit a good one) going into charts at the same time... heaven forbid someone out there will write something original and worth buying.......

incidentally the Cohen version is the best IMO.
    Cannot stand Jeff Buckleys one and as for the X-Factor Wan :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

At least he seems to know something about music, Ian Dempsey the other day was baffled to find out that some guy called Leonard Cohen had written this song !

I caught the same programme but took it a totally dififerent way.
    He was being sarcastic. That was the schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

:eek: jasus, just goes to show you how messed up the music business is at the moment when you have three versions of a 30 year old song(albeit a good one) going into charts at the same time... heaven forbid someone out there will write something original and worth buying.......

incidentally the Cohen version is the best IMO.
    Cannot stand Jeff Buckleys one and as for the X-Factor Wan :rolleyes:

That x factor wan's version is doing my head in. Every morning my radio alarm goes off it's your wan with that song. It was alright at the start but it's getting worn as they play it too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I heard it a few times today and it is nothing short of awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have heard at least four versions of "Hallelujah" - the original studio version by Leonard Cohen, one by John Cale (only heard this one twice, but I think it was studio), the much-mentioned Jeff Buckley version and one by Rufus Wainwright with just a piano backing....................................

Have not heard the X Factor one, and not really in a rush to do so.

Well, I finally heard Alexandra Burke's version yesterday. Because my expectations were very low, I was actually pleasantly surprised! She does have a great voice and she does her best with an arrangement which is not really ideal for this song. So, if I had not heard other versions, I would probably say that it was a fair song. Alas, it is just not as good as those other renditions. Had it not been for her own vocal strength (amazing voice for a 19-year-old), it would have been a proper disaster.

Incidentally, the best female version I heard on You Tube was by Kate Voegele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Played Buckley's version at a gig earlier tonight, after saying on the mic that I would NOT be playing the crap X-Factor version......3 people came up and said fair play, and one asked where they could get a copy of Buckley's version!!!!

There's hope for musical taste yet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

That post made absolutely no sense. Someone deciding to cover one of his songs will "forever stain his reputation"? No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Played Buckley's version at a gig earlier tonight, after saying on the mic that I would NOT be playing the crap X-Factor version......3 people came up and said fair play, and one asked where they could get a copy of Buckley's version!!!!

There's hope for musical taste yet! :D

But while the new version is just a plain boring version of a bad song, the Buckley version is awful! It reminds me a bit of that time Sinead O`Connor was on the late late years ago and overran the programme with some 10 minute long warbling song about nothing in particular.

Talentless?

I didnt watch the show this year, and I cant judge on that awful song, but she is presumably a good singer. You are just being pretentious tbh.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    ****ing hell. Other people like different music to what you like. What the **** is going on!!!!!!

But it is the same type of people who buy certain common strands of awful music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement