Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which MP3 player

Options
  • 17-12-2008 1:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new MP3 player and I'd appreciate opinions. I've a few requirements and I will research but if anybody has any models they can recommend it would be helpful.

I have a 8Gb 3G Nano which is fine but there are a few niggles that are annoying me so I thought it's time for a new one.

1: I want something that will plug into any standard PC with a standard USB cable. I don't want to have to install software when I do this.

2: I want to be able to transfer movies / TV programmes from my hard drive on my PC to my player without having to mess around with conversion. I used to be able to do that with a 5 year old Windows Mobile phone I had. Surely the current MP3 players are powerful enough to do the same.

3: Anything 8Gb or above is grand. I don't need 100s of Gb. I'll mainly be using it for audiobooks, podcasts, a couple of albums and TV programmes. I don't need to walk around with every song ever made in my pocket.

4: Audiobook support would be good. If I'm listening to a 3 hour book I don't want to have to fast forward half way through it just because I stopped playing it to watch something else.

1 & 2 are the most important. 3 & 4 are nice to haves. Has anybody got any good models that they've had success with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Off the top of my head, I think that a few of the Creative models support DivX AVI files, so you can transfer them directly. Bit of a waste of storage space though, especially if you don't go for a unit with more capacity. I have an iPod Touch which reads mp4 video files, so I just batch a load of conversions at the one time to run overnight.

I got my wife the Creative Zen:Vision M nearly 3 years ago, and I still think it's an excellent device.

We always used the bundled software though, never tried anything to get it to work so you could access it through the filesystem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

eoin wrote: »
    Bit of a waste of storage space though, especially if you don't go for a unit with more capacity. I have an iPod Touch which reads mp4 video files, so I just batch a load of conversions at the one time to run overnight.

Yeah I know it's a waste of space but theres two reasons for me.

1: I'll only watch a programme or movie once so it won't be staying on the device for long.

2: I'm always going out the door and thinking it'd be good to have whatever video on my Ipod. But I can't just copy and go, it requires planning and foresight (both of which I'm not great on). It's not complicated I know but it's just one extra bit of fiddling that doesn't need to be there.

I tried a Zen last year. The Mp3s can be copied up without extra software but the videos require conversion.

This years X-Fi models don't say anything about conversion. Does anybody know if I can just plug it in and copy the standard movies up?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Zen:Vision M definitely supports DivX AVI movies - I was able to copy movies across without any conversion.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14331

Here is one on eBay for just under €100. Probably a refurb, but I've bought a couple of items from this seller with no problems.

Advertisement