Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What language were you thought in college?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just want to do a quick informal poll to get an idea of what languages are currently being used in Irish university's to teach programming.

I'm currently doing a even degree in DIT, and have been quite surprised (and disapointed) to learn that the progression seems to be from C to C++ with very little Java and no .net

Personally, I think learning C straight off the bat is a bad idea, I also question the marketability of someone doing C++ versus Java or .NET?

Your views/experiences please!

ChRoMe

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ChRoMe wrote: »
    thought

What language do they use for spell checkers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

lol :D fingers moving faster than mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I look at it like this there is learning to program and then learning the syntax of a language.

In primary school I was happily writing BASIC on the C64, in college I did C/C++ and some form of assembly don’t ask me which it was. I used C++ a little in my first job but since then it’s been other languages. I’ve never had any problems changing from one language to another.

C/C++ both provide a good introduction into programming and how to program. C to learn how to code, C++ to cover OO and after that you just need to learn the syntax of the different languages. The design patterns are the same for them all only the implementation might be slightly different. If you read over some of the topics on VB.NET Vs C# you will notice that one of the plus’s mentioned for C# is you can get a C++/Java dev in and he will be up and running pretty quickly. So what you should take from that is being good at C++ should allow you to very easily pick up C#. Another plus to C++ would be it is used across so many platforms; learning .NET would tie you closer to Windows.

A college would never be able to keep all students happy you want .NET, the person next to you wants C and the next guy wants JAVA, and some weirdo wants to learn Assembly. Giving the students a firm base in programming is the best they can do to cover all the bases. If you want to learn .NET go out and buy a book, grab VS express and learn it in parallel to your college work. If you have an assignment to do something in C/C++ do it and then do it in .NET. Once you get a project choice go down your .NET path if they let you and I’m pretty sure they will. This will give you some .NET work to show at the end of it and show employers that you can switch from one language to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Pascal -> Fortran -> Cobol -> C -> C++ -> Java

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Pascal, C, assembly language. Um, that was it.

I think if you get a solid foundation in programming, you should be able to switch to any language. Except maybe LISP or Prologue. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Java, C++, Assembly.

Now write mostly in C++ and a little in C#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I did not go to college.

But it is far far more important to learn how to learn a programming language than it is to learn any specific language.

You should be in a position where you can start writing some kind of useful code in a language after a couple of days, TOPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I did my degrees in DIT, graduated in 2006. I said degrees because I started on the ordinary degree in computing (3 years) then did the final year of the comp science degree. My progression was Pascal > C > Java for the ordinary degree, then had to learn C++ on my own for the honours degree because some of the classes I took assumed you coud use it already (the honours degree students had learned it in 2nd year, their progression was C > C++ > Java).

There's no .Net taught in DIT afaik. I believe the reason for this is that Java is more prevalent in the industry and that companies need a comercial licence for VS, which puts most off when they could use Eclipse and Java for free.

It is odd that Java isn't being taught though. Doing C straight off the bat isn't a bad thing imo. It gives you a good basis in the fundamentals of programming first without having to worry about OOP as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

First year: C and haskell

Second year: C++ and SQL and Assembly HTML XML, PHP

Third year: java and PL/SQL

Fourth year: perl and all of the above except C++

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

C++, COBOL, Asm, Win C++, VB, VBS

Program in whatever .NET language I am required to. Changed languages and technologies so many times at this stage, its a case of learning the particular syntax rather than programming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

First Year:
    C++
    MC68000 Assembly.

Second Year:
    C - Learning Data structures, Queues, Stacks, Semaphores, IPC. I think learning C is very important. Especially if you want to go into real time systems/embedded systems area where critical timing is involved.
    x86 Assembly including FPU

Third Year:
    Java

Fourth year
    Back to C for real time systems.
    Ada - Important for real time systems.
    C/C++ for OpenGL programming.

I'm very happy with my course content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I love C.

For my masters thesis a lot of my code was based around bit manipulation (elliptic curve cryptography - you have to use polynomial maths instead of integer maths - this means every calculation involves bit manipulation) and C made this a piece of cake. Well, sort of, but the way it gives you access to low level operations while keeping things fairly high level is just lovely.

Everyone in college should learn C.

And anyway, .NET is for pussies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's a while ago now, but did some Java, assembler and VB while I was in college.

FWIW I use assembler on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

C, COBOL, Prolog, VB, Perl, Java

I work with Java 100% now but C was a very good introduction to programming I feel.

Also, OP, don't feel too disappointed with learning C++ over Java in College, seriously, if you can master C++ then you will pick up Java very quickly. C++ teaches you to take responsibility for your coding, it forces you to think about how you manage memory and resources in your code, since Java does a lot of this behind the scenes for you it makes the developer go a bit lazy (I'll admit it!!).

I believe no language is a waste of time, learning various different types gives you a greater insight into programming in general, even if you do end up coding mainly in an OO language in your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Doing C straight off the bat isn't a bad thing imo. It gives you a good basis in the fundamentals of programming first without having to worry about OOP as well.

exactly, good point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Java, C, C++, Assembly, Lisp, Prolog, VBA, SQL (if we're counting that as a language), and my FYP was in VBScript (my choice). It wasn't a progression from one to the other though, different subjects used whichever tool was most appropriate, as it should be.

As others have said, the actual language you learn isn't particularly important, it's learning the theory and practices, and learning how to learn, that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Way back in the day I went from:
    COBOL -> VB3 -> VC++ -> Assembly -> Java

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Cobol
    RPG
    Java
    .Net

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Smalltalk, SQL & Java

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

First year: java(j2se) + vb6/.net

Second year: java(j2ee)

Third year: c++,jsp,

Fourth year: c#/asp,processing(java based)

Also did CCNA.
    stevenmu wrote: »

As others have said, the actual language you learn isn't particularly important, it's learning the theory and practices, and learning how to learn, that's important.
    +1.

An OO programmer can quickly pick up practically any language very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

c, sql c++, java, in that order. Graduated 2002. Any OO language is good in college like others have said. In work I've used VBA & sql, VB.NET & sql, C# & sql, in that order. The transition between languages isn't hard and I agree that you learn more about programming in general by using different languages. This mightn't always be the view of recruiters is the only thing
    Learning different frameworks is another matter though. Depending on what you're doing you might be more concerned with the framework than with the language. I think the more generic the application you are developing, the more you will be configuring framework elements, and the less programming you will be doing from the ground up. This isn't a necessarily a bad thing. Generic applications are generic because they are used a lot. You will have more results more quickly the more framework elements you are leveraging and the less you need to do from the ground up. On the other hand it can get a bit repetitive and you might feel your skills plateau fairly early. Developing more specific and novel applications will teach you more, and be more interesting I think - but it will take longer too.

I suppose I should put my point of view into context. I've been working in IT since I was 17 years old (telephone technical support for Ireland On line), I'm 25 now. I moved up different desk side support jobs until getting to Desktop Support Coordinator.

It was when I totally moved away from the phones, that I got my first professional experience of writing code by at first hacking together shell scripts and writing some simple PHP/MySql stuff, until I got the chance in a new job to do some linux/tomcat support along with some junior developer Java projects. Everything I know is self taught through reading API docs and a lot of mistakes!

I started doing the course in the evenings before getting the support/junior java developer role. Im in a great environment to learn java on the job and my employer is happy to pay for some professional training.

I feel very torn at the moment as learning java for 8 hours a day in work, and then walking into DIT to do 3 hours of C (which i know I have no interest in learning) is really pissing me off.

I dont have any interest in writing Linux device drivers or that lower level work. I have a clear idea that I want to concentrate on J2EE and some J2ME, so I'm trying to figure out if I should now leave the evening DIT course so I can do the sun certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I suppose I should put my point of view into context. I've been working in IT since I was 17 years old (telephone technical support for Ireland On line), I'm 25 now. I moved up different desk side support jobs until getting to Desktop Support Coordinator.

It was when I totally moved away from the phones, that I got my first professional experience of writing code by at first hacking together shell scripts and writing some simple PHP/MySql stuff, until I got the chance in a new job to do some linux/tomcat support along with some junior developer Java projects. Everything I know is self taught through reading API docs and a lot of mistakes!

I started doing the course in the evenings before getting the support/junior java developer role. Im in a great environment to learn java on the job and my employer is happy to pay for some professional training.

I feel very torn at the moment as learning java for 8 hours a day in work, and then walking into DIT to do 3 hours of C (which i know I have no interest in learning) is really pissing me off.

I dont have any interest in writing Linux device drivers or that lower level work. I have a clear idea that I want to concentrate on J2EE and some J2ME, so I'm trying to figure out if I should now leave the evening DIT course so I can do the sun certs.

What do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

1st year : C++, QBasic (The programming laguage Jesus used), VB6(little)
    2nd year : C++, Prolog, VB6, PL/SQL,
    3rd year : Java, VB6
    4th year : Java, Lejos, Assembley,

And i walked into my first job working with .net.

There's really only a weekend crash course
    standing between you and a working knowleadge of
    another language as long as your basics are good

- Elfman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'd highly recommend sticking with the C course. It's important that you learn about things like memory management, which if you only learn Java, it's very easy to miss out on.

If I was hiring someone, I'd have no worries about hiring a C/C++ programmer with no knowledge of Java for a Java role. But I'd have real concerns about hiring someone who only learned Java for a C/C++ role. And there are still a lot of C/C++ roles outside of device drivers.

have a listen to this podcast episode:
    http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2008/04/podcast-2/
    http://blog.stackoverflow.com/audio/stackoverflow-podcast-002.mp3

skip to 37 mins in where they answer a listener's question 'Should I learn C++?'.

[that's a great programming podcast in general btw]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I don't have any interest in writing Linux device drivers or that lower level work. I have a clear idea that I want to concentrate on J2EE and some J2ME, so I'm trying to figure out if I should now leave the evening DIT course so I can do the sun certs.
    I'm a third year in your course. You will not regret learning C or C++. Having done C and C++ in first and second year, I was able to pick up most of the basics of Java and C# in about three days.

You will be expected to do so as well. They throw you in at the deep end for both when you get in to third year.

I understand and appreciate the points being made regarding the benefits of having to wade through stuff like memory management in C. But at the same time I know I want to stick with J2EE/J2ME stuff as its a area i am particularly interested in as I have worked in the mobile communications industry for a couple of years.

I'm aware there are a lot of other uses for C/C++ stuff then device drivers (such as stuff like games development etc) but none of these fields interest me at all. And considering I'm already in a position where I have the development job that I want, learning C/C++ holds little interest. Along with the fact that as a marketable skill they are no where near Java/.NET in regards opportunities.

I need to pick a path, and the one where I'm already working on commercial projects getting real world experience, just seems to make the theory college course not as important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Currently in college

Java
    .NET
    Prolog
    Lisp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Scheme
    C++
    Java
    PHP (this was more self learning, used it in a project where we could pick our own language)
    Assembly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

1st year: Html / Javascript
    2nd year: C
    3rd year: More C
    4th year: Java, Assembly, embedded C, Matlab code
    5th year: More Java, C++, bits of SQL, learning PHP for my FYP

Advertisement