Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What language were you thought in college?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Im in second year at Griffith College..

In first year we did Java but the emphasis was on technique and program design.."it just so happened that we were doing Java" was the way my lecturer put it..

First semester this year its still Java through studying algorithms etc..I think we will be doing VB.net after xmas..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

In EE we learned C and a smattering of C++. What I like about C is that it's accessible from an initial teaching point-of-view and needs little boilerplate code to do "Hello world", compared to say Java. Then it does make you think about memory management, which is going to lead to good overall programming practices in the long run. Then you can use the other higher level languages knowing what they're doing behind the scenes. Same way I always try learning a new language using the basic command-line tools rather than XCode or VS.

One other thing is that if you haven't learned a scripting/interpreted language of some sort - Python, Perl or others, it might be good to start. One of my biggest handicaps was learning MATLAB because I'm inclined to use it as a scripting language rather than learning another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

In first year doing Java.. sickener

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Sweeno wrote: »
    In first year doing Java.. sickener

Sickener?? I'm curious..why is that??

I kinda like java...have you experience with any other languages??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

techguy wrote: »

He might be one of those cool "old skool" kids who programs in assembly.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

1st Year: Java, 68k Assembly
    2nd Year: C++, Eiffel, 68k Assembly
    3rd Year: Prolog, C++, Handel-C, Level 5 Object
    4th Year: Java, Vivio

Not all of those were explicitly taught, for example Java in 4th year was merely the language I used for my Final Year Project and Prolog was more the medium of instruction for a course than a course in itself. I used copious amounts of Perl and LaTeX throughout the degree but since they were strictly optional I didn't include them above. I also used some sort of HDL in 2nd year but I can't remember the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

1st yr. Mostly Java, some VB
    2nd yr. Java and Cobol
    Final yr. Java, Prolog and Fortran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Modula 2, C, C++ (Tutorials only - it was pretty new then so wasn't on the course otherwise), 6800, VAX Assembly and Cobol.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

IRLConor wrote: »
    1st Year: Java, 68k Assembly
    2nd Year: C++, Eiffel, 68k Assembly
    3rd Year: Prolog, C++, Handel-C, Level 5 Object
    4th Year: Java, Vivio

Not all of those were explicitly taught, for example Java in 4th year was merely the language I used for my Final Year Project and Prolog was more the medium of instruction for a course than a course in itself. I used copious amounts of Perl and LaTeX throughout the degree but since they were strictly optional I didn't include them above. I also used some sort of HDL in 2nd year but I can't remember the name of it.

Was that in TCD?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Was that in TCD?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Does any college in the country teach python? Just wondering.

I'm in third year and so far:

Java/RPG
    Java/RPG
    Java/RPG

I think we are doing prolog in 4th year. I was thinking of taking up python or PHP just to have scripting experience. Anyone favour PHP over python or vice versa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

OwenM wrote: »
    Does any college in the country teach python? Just wondering.
    First year IT (only through Arts though) in NUIG, or at least this was the case last year.

Studying IT directly. C in first year with a slight smattering of bash scripting in another module apart from programming itself.

Java second year as well as touching off assembly and a mixture of C/bash in another module when I get back. More Java next year.

Glad C was taught first. Makes you get a better understanding of what's going on under the hood, especially with regard to memory, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

techguy wrote: »

just said sickener because of a previous posts sayin it was better to learn C first, javas alright its the only language i know anything about so i cant really complain

Advertisement