Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia

Options
  • 17-12-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and a few friends are looking into moving to Australia in February, just wondering if anyone has any helpful info on it?

I've checked the stickied thread already, I knew I'd need a 12 month VISA and this site is very helpful, didn't realise it was only $195 for a Visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/

Once this Visa runs out is it possible to apply for another one while you are over there? I've heard before about getting sponsored by an employer, is this difficult?

I'm going to look through the stickied thread again in more detail, but any other info on bank details, getting accomodation etc would be helpful...

Oh and one final thing, what is the best way to go about arranging flights? We were originally planning on travelling India/Asia on the way over, and were going to get one of those 'round the world' tickets, but the way the economy is going a few of us are going to be out of work soon and don't have the time to save up money for travelling. We will hopefully do this on the way back...

I was told recently there are flights to Perth for €700, is there any special deals/flight times I should be looking out for?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

getting sponsored by an employer is pretty difficult, especially now with the economy. the only way really is if you have a skill that they are lacking now in australia. you can get a second working holiday visa if you do three months work in regional australia eg fruit picking.

you'd be best to just get a one way ticket to oz. prices in feb can be a bit expensive since its the summer but i got my tickets for just under 700 euro on budget travel. cathay pacific have some good offers for feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

getting sponsored by an employer is pretty difficult, especially now with the economy. the only way really is if you have a skill that they are lacking now in australia. you can get a second working holiday visa if you do three months work in regional australia eg fruit picking.

you'd be best to just get a one way ticket to oz. prices in feb can be a bit expensive since its the summer but i got my tickets for just under 700 euro on budget travel. cathay pacific have some good offers for feb.

I wouldn't have a trade (unless barman is a trade?) but would have a BA Hons Degree in Journalism and a few years experience... Not sure if i'd be up for getting a 9-5, would prob prefer to work in different jobs, bar work etc when needed. Is it easy enough to pick up bar work around Oz/NZ?

Yeh I heard about the fruit picking etc... I'll look on budget travel anyway for flights

Cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

roryc wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Myself and a few friends are looking into moving to Australia in February.....

......I was told recently there are flights to Perth for €700, is there any special deals/flight times I should be looking out for?

:eek: You're not stayin with me! :pac:

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    :eek: You're not stayin with me! :pac:

sh*t... onto Plan B so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i used ebookers.com to get the flight price in sterling, it worked out at €770 for a 1 way 1 stop air china flight to sydney from heathrow via beijing , that 770 included a seperate aer lingus flight from dub to heathrow , regarding travel insurance , someone pointed these guys out to me earlier , www.fyi.ie , for 2 adults i got the fyi-2 policy for €380 and that price includes the removal of any excess on any claim that i might need to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Re the one-way-flight thing, I find personally it's FAR more expensive to fly out of Australia than fly into it.

I used to book London-Melbourne-London flights for, say, £800-900 (cheap airline, off peak). The same trip booked Melbourne-London-Melbourne cost closer to £1,200.

I'd buy an open-ended return.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

^ ^ ^ I agree. Its expensive getting a ticket back.
    I wouldn't have a trade (unless barman is a trade?) but would have a BA Hons Degree in Journalism and a few years experience... Not sure if i'd be up for getting a 9-5, would prob prefer to work in different jobs, bar work etc when needed. Is it easy enough to pick up bar work around Oz/NZ?

Yeh I heard about the fruit picking etc... I'll look on budget travel anyway for flights

Cheers man

Your degree will not get you far. Journalism is a fairly hot career here, with heaps of people after the few jobs around. A lot of journalist end up going for PR work.

With bar work you need a Responsible Serving of Alcohol certificate. I posted details about this in another thread recently... can't remember which one. :o

missannik wrote: »
    Your degree will not get you far. Journalism is a fairly hot career here, with heaps of people after the few jobs around. A lot of journalist end up going for PR work.

It's also pretty impossible to get a journalism job if you're on a visa.

He only has one of those crappy journalism degrees that they hand out to pretty much anyone anyway. Isn't that right Rory?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

He only has one of those crappy journalism degrees that they hand out to pretty much anyone anyway. Isn't that right Rory?! :D

So ye went to different colleges then?!?

Lol nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Hey everyone

Think this is getting a very old question, but I am a civil/ structural engineer and am looking to get away from all this doom and gloom at home. What are things like in Oz, is there work?

I really would like to go to Sydney as I have some family/ firneds there and since I will be going over by myself it would be great to go to a city where I know people. I also have some friends in Victoria, is that any better?

If I went on a WHV would I find it difficult to get work with a construction company or would it be a safety that if I didn't get work inconstruction I could pull out the old corkscrew and go back to bar work. Any advice would be a really big help. I am thinking of going over early january.

Thanks again

:D Not all of us fluked citizenship hehe

yeh I'm not really looking to stay in Journalism anyway while I'm over there, just see whats there when I get there

I can survive (just about :)) playing poker online so will prob keep this up and work when I need to

Cheers Missannik I'll look into that Responsible Serving of Alcohol certificate.

sham08 wrote: »
    Hey everyone

Think this is getting a very old question, but I am a civil/ structural engineer and am looking to get away from all this doom and gloom at home. What are things like in Oz, is there work?

I really would like to go to Sydney as I have some family/ firneds there and since I will be going over by myself it would be great to go to a city where I know people. I also have some friends in Victoria, is that any better?

If I went on a WHV would I find it difficult to get work with a construction company or would it be a safety that if I didn't get work inconstruction I could pull out the old corkscrew and go back to bar work. Any advice would be a really big help. I am thinking of going over early january.

Thanks again

Apparently flights are cheaper in February... otherwise we're in pretty much the same boat.

And it might be an old question but I expect a lot more people to be asking it, Ireland is a sinking ship atm :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Civ Eng Bsc ??? If you have the full degree qualification you have an occupation in demand and may be able to get a skilled migrant viosa which allows you migrate with no restrictions.

Otherwise come on WHV, get a job and prove you are worth keeping : being sponored.

To stave econmoc crisis there are some large funds being pumped into infrastructure and hence Civil is one role that cold still be good for employability.
    Hey everyone

Thanks again

Yea I have a BAI in Engineering and have been working on Civil and structural projects for 2 years. Only thing is that infrastructure tends to be outside of the main cities and you could end up in some fairly remote places but so be it. Also does anyone know which cities would be considered good to get work in, I've heard about Brisbane and Perth.

Applied for my Visa on Friday and managed to get it granted in 48 minutes :)

Will be booking flights soon, pron for end of Feb...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

I heard a figure of 50,000 WHVs applied from within Ireland alone in the last 2 months. I've noticed there are way more Irish in Sydney since Christmas compared to the winter time.

Yea I have a BAI in Engineering and have been working on Civil and structural projects for 2 years. Only thing is that infrastructure tends to be outside of the main cities and you could end up in some fairly remote places but so be it. Also does anyone know which cities would be considered good to get work in, I've heard about Brisbane and Perth.

so long as you have CAD and design skills you are more likely to be based in the office working remotley with the odd site visit.

Brizzy is definitely ok for work as of 3 months ago any way.

Subbie that works for me currenltly is screaming for Civ Ang and asked did I know any coming over. He is based on the top end of the sunshine coast.
    Nice place to live if you can get good secure work, Id move there if I could have the same security and pay scale of job I have back in the city.

Another mate from NZ quit his Civil deisgner job, based in the city, on a whim as he did not like his coleagues and got strait away 2 other offers. He then took a week off in between jobs to ponder. He going well now.

I heard a figure of 50,000 WHVs applied from within Ireland alone in the last 2 months. I've noticed there are way more Irish in Sydney since Christmas compared to the winter time.

Seasonal, thats to be expected

A. Xmas in Sydney if Irish Stereotype
    B. They are all up here and further north in the winter, as its actually cold in Sydney. Makes sense togo North with the eternal summers.......

I would not, however, be surprised at an increase of WHVs being applied or due to the seisse at home. If your gonna be unemployed or working in a Maccers your better off doing that here ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hey everyone

Thanks again

Well in Queensland there is heaps of construction work at the moment. I know it's not Sydney but it's there if you are interested.

• Advertisement

Hey does anyone know about how to go about applying for the Responsible Serving of Alcohol certificate.... MIght end up doing a bit of bar work so want to have all the bases covered :D

Is it something you can apply for here or do you have to do a course in Oz...

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hey does anyone know about how to go about applying for the Responsible Serving of Alcohol certificate.... MIght end up doing a bit of bar work so want to have all the bases covered :D

Is it something you can apply for here or do you have to do a course in Oz...

cheers

Dont stress it can be done here it takes about a day and costs about 90 Bucks.

Basically in Victoria anyway remember this

It is illegal to serve anyone who is intoxicated

It is illegal to allow intoxicated people on a licensed premises or to remain there.

It is illegal to serve minors who are not in the care of a responsible adult while in the process of a substantial meal.

It is illegal for anyone under 18 to be in a gaming room period.

Theres a bit more on other stuff like IDS and the like its all common sense.

When you get here ask any job agency where is the nearest RSA course and they will put you right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dermsy

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any information on Irish people buying a buisness in Australia. I have searched the web but I cant find any information.

For example, do you have to be a resident or would buying a business guarentee you residency or maybe you cant buy end of story.

I ask because i'm moving there on a holiday visa but my long term plan would be to buy a Bar in Melbourne.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dermsy, your best bet would be to check out www.britishexpats.com website and doa search on the forums there..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hi!!

I'm studying civil engineering at the moment in college and considering heading over to Australia later on this year, is it hard to find work if your straight out of college? The only experience that id have is summer work (not as part of my course in college).
    Where would be the best area to go for civil jobs? It wouldn't bother me to much being away from the cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

cazmcco wrote: »
    Hi!!

I'm studying civil engineering at the moment in college and considering heading over to Australia later on this year, is it hard to find work if your straight out of college? The only experience that id have is summer work (not as part of my course in college).
    Where would be the best area to go for civil jobs? It wouldn't bother me to much being away from the cities.

IMO yes it is hard to find work here but you should wait for someone in Civil Engineering to address your issue

I'm in Oz now and have 2 years experience in civil eng and am finding it quite difficult to get work, I mean it is better than home but there is a feeling that things are getting tight over here. From speaking with recruitment agencies the companies that are taking on people are looking for people with loads of experience. So basically what I'm saying is that be prepared to get work in an unrelated field such as bar, fruit picking etc if you choose to come to Oz. I'm not too sure about Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

Xavi6 wrote: »

Xavi6, as you're a working journalist in OZ how difficult was it/is it really to get a job. Am still tinkering with the idea of moving over sometime in the summer and was wondering what my prospects would be. Have a decent CV and experience etc. Even if somewhere won't hire you fulltime can you not get shift work at all?

Advertisement