Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up a floor -cost

Options
  • 17-12-2008 2:25pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys having a bit of an issue with a dodgy flooring guy.

Needed a floor taken up and a new one out down and was quoted a price for a particular type of wood floor.

Old floor was taken up and then it was mentioned that the price was based on a cheaper style of wood which I didnt want and I'd have to pay more (200 euro more) for the style I wanted.

Now this guy has started stinking like a cowboy so I want rid, he came and took up a carpet and old wooden floor. Took about 30 mins. What should I give him to cover the cost of this???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Tough one really. I guess an hourly rate.
    If he's not a Cowboy then he came to work for a day or more, so he's lost out abit.
    Find out what a Carpener's rate is per day, in your area and work from there.

A laminate floor would be cheaper to lay than a solid or semi-solid floor. Maybe with a few more details from you, someone here can give you a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Guys having a bit of an issue with a dodgy flooring guy.

Needed a floor taken up and a new one out down and was quoted a price for a particular type of wood floor.

Old floor was taken up and then it was mentioned that the price was based on a cheaper style of wood which I didnt want and I'd have to pay more (200 euro more) for the style I wanted.

Now this guy has started stinking like a cowboy so I want rid, he came and took up a carpet and old wooden floor. Took about 30 mins. What should I give him to cover the cost of this???

Hi
    Give him 60
    80 euro and tell him a friend is doing the job for you xmas box :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

RKQ wrote: »
    Tough one really. I guess an hourly rate.
    If he's not a Cowboy then he came to work for a day or more, so he's lost out abit.
    Find out what a Carpener's rate is per day, in your area and work from there.

A laminate floor would be cheaper to lay than a solid or semi-solid floor. Maybe with a few more details from you, someone here can give you a better idea.

No he seems decent, but tbh Its going to involve shelling out a total of 300 quid more a week before Xmas so I'm not happy.

He took up the floor on the way home from another job and as said it only took about 30 mins.
    Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Give him 60
    80 euro and tell him a friend is doing the job for you xmas box :D:D

Thats the thing the GF's uncle can do it cheaper but isnt available til after xmas (which is fine with me) so I think we'll probably go with him.

Advertisement