Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make up brushes

• 17-12-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

My MAC makeup brushes have gone astray during a recent house move, I'm sure they will show up, meanwhile I need some replacements which are good but don't cost the earth, any suggestions? Or will I just get what's in Boots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Actually I'm looking for a decent, but not outlandishly priced, blusher brush so I'll welcome any suggestions!

(sorry for the hijack OP :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MissThing

g'em wrote: »
    Actually I'm looking for a decent, but not outlandishly priced, blusher brush so I'll welcome any suggestions!

No problem, in fact I'm happy to have mis-laid the MAC blusher brush I thought it total rubbish, kept leaving black hairs on my face. But the others, naturally I'm lost without. Look like bo-bo the clown trying to apply with my fingers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

MissThing wrote: »
    No problem, in fact I'm happy to have mis-laid the MAC blusher brush I thought it total rubbish, kept leaving black hairs on my face. But the others, naturally I'm lost without. Look like bo-bo the clown trying to apply with my fingers!

My MAC blusher brush does this too! Very annoying.

I'd say you might get a set of the essentials somewhere like Debenhams. They probably have a lot of gift sets at this time of year that won't cost a whole lot.

I'm going to perform a double-hijack now and ask if anyone knows of a decent make-up brush cleanser type fluid? :p Sorry, please advise if I should start a new thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

I have a really good brush I bought in boots- wasn't very expensive although I have it years so can't remember how much I paid. Its Cosmopolitan branded (like the magazine) & it doesn't leave hairs on your face & even if it did the brush strands are neutral not black, but as I said I have it years & no stray hairs off it yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'm trying to remember what make-up brushes I use everyday :o

I used to use the Jemma Kidd kabuki style brush, as a blusher brush and that worked quite well! There's a black (I think?!) one for your cheeks & a white one for your face, but I just used the white one!

There's a couple of Ruby & Millie sets around Boots at the moment, and I like their foundation brush! Actually don't buy the sets, cos as far as I can rememeber the rest were pretty rubbish.

Never tried The Body Shop's brushes but apparently they're quite good and are not too expensive.

(I thought I jus got a didgy MAC blush brush, but evidently, they're all a bit dodgy :()

Sorry about the stream of concsious style post... it's all a bit muddled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I don't know about brushes you can get in Ireland that will do in a pinch, but for ones you want to use for a while, everydayminerals makes some great brushes. (I feel like I keep plugging this brand around boards; I'm not a shill, but I really do love their products! :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

if your just looking for one brush i suggest make-up forever on Clarendon street (D2) they do a brand called Face 2 a set is very expensive but one brush will set you back 20 quid (i know it's dear) but they will last forever!! I've had mine for four years not and still as good as the day i bought them.

In answer to the ACTUAL thread ;) boots is probably the place to go if your just looking for something to fill a void.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I love the rubie and millie brushes

but there are loads of good sets out for xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm going to perform a double-hijack now and ask if anyone knows of a decent make-up brush cleanser type fluid? tongue.gif Sorry, please advise if I should start a new thread!

I bought my first foundation brush in Dior the other day (lovely btw but pricey) I asked her about cleaning and she just recommended liquid soap or mild shampoo. I think those brush cleansers are a racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

ncmc wrote: »
    I bought my first foundation brush in Dior the other day (lovely btw but pricey) I asked her about cleaning and she just recommended liquid soap or mild shampoo. I think those brush cleansers are a racket.

Thanks for that...maybe I just need more elbow grease!

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    I'm going to perform a double-hijack now and ask if anyone knows of a decent make-up brush cleanser type fluid? :p Sorry, please advise if I should start a new thread!

I also just use baby shampoo, works great for me, but there are lots of tutorials for cleaning brushes on YouTube. Here's my favorite, but if you do a search you'll find a ton of others.

I just think he's soooo adorable!! He also has a video about making your own brush cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mimibear

I got the Jemma Kidd brushe set from boots a few months ago, werent that expensive and they are quite good for those of us who can't afford the full MAC set (sob :() The blush brush is very good actually. Well that's my two cents anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I need a new set of brushes myself -- I'm going to try these:

http://www.parispresents.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=36

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Just a note, guys- a lot of makeup brushes are made from animal fur (usually foxes or squirrels).
    I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't wear a fur coat- please don't buy fur brushes.
    The synthetic ones are just as good and much more reasonably priced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got a really cool Prescriptives one

41450063-177x150-0-0.jpg

It really helps define those cheek bones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 didikeys

Just a note, guys- a lot of makeup brushes are made from animal fur (usually foxes or squirrels).

I'm pretty sure the animal hair for make up brushes is shorn rather than skinned off like it is for coats.

You know, like how sheep are sheared for wool?

didikeys wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the animal hair for make up brushes is shorn rather than skinned off like it is for coats.

You know, like how sheep are sheared for wool?

No, the animals are killed the same way I'm afraid.
    I don't want to drag the thread off topic, I am just making ye aware of it. I personally would never buy a fur coat and thought makeup brushes were made from synthetic fibres until I saw a label on one saying "100% squirrel". I now realise that a large number of brushes are made from animal fur. I'm sure a lot of women don't realise so that's why I added this note in.

More info at http://www.caringconsumer.com/cosmetics_squirrel.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

^The animals aren't killed to get the hair for brushes, why on earth would they be killed when the companies can make so much more profit by keeping them alive and just removing the hair when it grows back? And synthetic hair brushes are nowhere near as good quailty as real hair brushes, they're horrible to blend with. Also I'd much rather be rubbing natural animal hair over my face than synthetic plastic hair.

To the OP, try GOSH makeup brushes, they do a lot of MAC dupes at a much cheaper price. They're not brilliant, but they'll do til you find your original ones. Ruby and Millie are quite good too.
    Avoid 'Ms. Makeup' brushes from Boots, they're awful quality, although they look alright in the packet. They shed like mad and are starting to fall apart after I've only had them a few months. I was talking to a girl from America and she told me they're sold for 50cent over there, they're around €15 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Smashbox do some great brushes as well. But definitely just pick up a generic set to keep you going til you get the mac set back out of storage. The cost can add up when you have to replace 'em all!

moonflower wrote: »
    ^The animals aren't killed to get the hair for brushes, why on earth would they be killed when the companies can make so much more profit by keeping them alive and just removing the hair when it grows back? And synthetic hair brushes are nowhere near as good quailty as real hair brushes, they're horrible to blend with. Also I'd much rather be rubbing natural animal hair over my face than synthetic plastic hair.

Squirrels and foxes aren't killed for their fur? Prove it.
    These animals aren't tame so how do you propose they be shaved?
    Do you think fur farms have salons where the animals can go for a trim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Personally, I don't think MAC and Smashbox ones are the best but would 100% recommend The Body Shop. They're so soft and dont leave any bristles on your skin. Buy online for the best price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Get all your cheap makeup brushes here:

http://www.crownbrush.co.uk/

I'm waiting on my order to be delivered as we speak, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭mizzzy

i have the mac foundation brush and it also leaves black hairs on my face ...really annoying and i would like a few other brushes .but im not sure about mac if its the case with all of them..quite annoying!

ruby and millie are quite good...okish price too...try bobbi brown failing that:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tkyn22

I like bodyshop ones. nice and soft.

Yeah the Body Shop ones are really good and they are reasonably priced too!

I'm gonna have to try these Body Shop brushes the next time I'm in the market! So many glowing reviews. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

+1 for Bodyshop or if you're travelling anytime soon sephora also does a range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

mizzzy wrote: »
    i have the mac foundation brush and it also leaves black hairs on my face ...really annoying and i would like a few other brushes .but im not sure about mac if its the case with all of them..quite annoying!

ruby and millie are quite good...okish price too...try bobbi brown failing that:D!

Have you tried washing it a few times? If you think it's shedding more than it should return it and get a new one, you prob got a dodgy one. My Mac brushes shed the first few times I use them, and I still get the odd hair of my skunk brush, but other than that they don't shed for me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

dont think my foundation brush is very good, paid under 20e for it, or maybe its just me so iv given up and use my fingers to apply foundation. Use MAC for my ey makeup and got a boots bronzer one, no probs, and for blusher i use the little that came with the clinque blusher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

The Clinique ones are made from horse hair, so you don't have to feel guilty about that, and they are brilliant.

I have used the body shop brushes and have to say they are great too.

peanuthead wrote: »
    The Clinique ones are made from horse hair, so you don't have to feel guilty about that, and they are brilliant.

I have used the body shop brushes and have to say they are great too.

Yeah I don't mind horse hair. I wear wool all the time as well. So long as the animal wasn't killed especially for their fur.

Advertisement