Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMWs and running costs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Biro wrote: »
    Also don't believe the sales man pitch of "you can't change the run flat tyres or you'll spoil the handling". It's a sales pitch that they're forced to give in order for run flats to take over.

I have never ever heard anyone say anything like that about Runflat's Biro, the only line I've ever heard, and it's not even a sales pitch, is that it's possible to put ordinary tires on the alloys, but you'll have no spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

ned78 wrote: »
    I have never ever heard anyone say anything like that about Runflat's Biro, the only line I've ever heard, and it's not even a sales pitch, is that it's possible to put ordinary tires on the alloys, but you'll have no spare.

Speaking of runflats - do you know why the E60/E61 is available with 17 inch wheels and standard tyres in the continent, but not either here on in the UK and why BMW UK says the E60 is not designed for 17 inch wheels and standard tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

whiterebel wrote: »
    And one of the things that turned myself and the missus off a new Beemer, was the interior - Not a whole lot different from our old '90 320i, IMO.
    I can think of far worse-looking interiors than that of the E30.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Here's a question, do BMW dealers charge more for a standard oil change on a more expensive BMW than a cheaper one?

Ie, would they charge more for a 6 series or 7 series oil change, than a 3 series oil change, considering they are essentially the exact same job?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Depends on the oil tho doesn't it, oil change on an m is expensive but they charge tho guts of 200 for the oil alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Out of interest, how many litres does the car take? And what is this super-expensive oil?

Ie, would they charge more for a 6 series or 7 series oil change, than a 3 series oil change, considering they are essentially the exact same job?

Well, they're not the same job really. A 6/8 cylinder engine on a 6/7 Series contains more oil than a 4 cylinder 3 Series, and the oil filter is slightly larger. So you end up paying a tiny bit more for the parts, but the labour is pretty much the same.

Similarly, replacing spark plugs/injectors would also be more expensive due to the additional parts.

But as similar posters have said, the best option is to go for a car which has Service Inclusive, which will cover the cost of servicing for 5 years.

E92 wrote: »
    Speaking of runflats - do you know why the E60/E61 is available with 17 inch wheels and standard tyres in the continent, but not either here on in the UK and why BMW UK says the E60 is not designed for 17 inch wheels and standard tyres?

I really don't I'm afraid. There are huge market differences between localities, for example in all LHD countries, you can get BMW 3 Series and 5 Series with 4WD, but they don't do it in RHD, in America there is more equipment as standard, and in Singapore, they once had a 718 to suit that market.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Out of interest, how many litres does the car take? And what is this super-expensive oil?

7 or 8 litres i think and its castol edge 10w 60

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

in Singapore, they once had a 718 to suit that market.

A 718tds? I so want that badge *off to ebay to find it* :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    A 718tds? I so want that badge *off to ebay to find it* :D

I think it was a 718i actually, worse again!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

LOL, a 718i. I'd like to see the 0 to 60 time on that car. Amazing they never offered it as a "Paddy" special here, it would have sold by the bucket load. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Just a few things to remember:

1) with service inclusive, they are really strict as to when they will cover the servicing. ie, you have to be within a couple of hundred miles of the service being due, forget the exact figure. but if you are something like 2000 miles overdue a service, it won't be covered.

2) runflat tyres, after the introduction of runflats (some time in 2004, depending on the vehicle model), suspensions were set up a little softer to compensate for the harder side-walls of the tyres. In BMW's case, the official line is that if you change over from runflats to standard tyres, you change the vahicle from factory spec, and where there is a subsequent suspension problem, warranty on those parts is invalidated.

food for thought

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

Cyrus wrote: »
    7 or 8 litres i think and its castol edge 10w 60

It is 10w60 alright, castrol tws motorsport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I got it from 3 different BMW sales guys in 3 different counties. I assumed it was across the board. Mustn't be though. Another guy here got the same line from another BMW sales guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well, they're not the same job really. A 6/8 cylinder engine on a 6/7 Series contains more oil than a 4 cylinder 3 Series, and the oil filter is slightly larger. So you end up paying a tiny bit more for the parts, but the labour is pretty much the same.

Similarly, replacing spark plugs/injectors would also be more expensive due to the additional parts.

But as similar posters have said, the best option is to go for a car which has Service Inclusive, which will cover the cost of servicing for 5 years.

I hear what you're saying alright, but I'd say he might be referring to something like a 330d versus a 530d versus a 630d and 730d.

Biro wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying alright, but I'd say he might be referring to something like a 330d versus a 530d versus a 630d and 730d.

Then it shouldn't be. The labour rate is the same for all cars, it's just a variation in the parts prices in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I had a BMW serviced by M&G once and I remember there were standard charges for a full BMW service. There were 3 charges, for 4, 6 or 8 pot engines. The charge was only related to the number of cylinders in the engine, not to the model. I'm a bit hazy on this but I think it might have been £150, £250 and £350 all including VAT back in '01

I see. Well the E38 7 takes 6.5 litres of 0w-30, so apart from the quantity of oil between the different sized cars, there shouldn't be any real difference in labour costs. I just had a feeling that if they see you gliding into the garage in a 750 compared to a 318, they're gonna charge you more...

I see. Well the E38 7 takes 6.5 litres of 0w-30, so apart from the quantity of oil between the different sized cars, there shouldn't be any real difference in labour costs.

no but there will be a big difference in oil costs, its much cheaper just to get it yourself from opie oils or somewhere tho

• Advertisement

Oh I know, I did my own oil & filter change and microfilter change at the end of the summer for about €130, beats driving down to Kells from Dundalk for them to rob me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I suppose you could say I drive a "real" BMW - a term that has been used here but I would agree that a 4 cyl BMW is a waste. Real as in painful depreciation in a recession anyway. :P

In 14 months ownership I've spent about;

€1700 (give or take) on road tax.
    €260 odd on some rear brake pads.
    €1,000 on TWO rear run flat tyres.

I have to leave out an oil and filter service as Joe Duffy's paid for that for me as a one off.

€3,000 per annum before repayments, fuel, insurance or depreciation.

Is that expensive to the OP? I don't know but they're the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

MarkN wrote: »
    depreciation.
    This is the most expensive running cost, and no one ever thinks of it until they have to sell.
    In three years I have lost at least €14k on my BMW, call in €5k per year for round numbers. Even if you are paying the largest tax at €1300p.a. this is still chicken feed compared to depreciation.

I suppose you could say I drive a "real" BMW - a term that has been used here but I would agree that a 4 cyl BMW is a waste. Real as in painful depreciation in a recession anyway. :P

In 14 months ownership I've spent about;

€1700 (give or take) on road tax.
    €260 odd on some rear brake pads.
    €1,000 on TWO rear run flat tyres.

I have to leave out an oil and filter service as Joe Duffy's paid for that for me as a one off.

€3,000 per annum before repayments, fuel, insurance or depreciation.

Is that expensive to the OP? I don't know but they're the figures.

have you had the 335i 14 mths now mark?? that must be a record

been eying some e92s up, could be next for me, either that or a big 6 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Cyrus wrote: »
    have you had the 335i 14 mths now mark?? that must be a record

been eying some e92s up, could be next for me, either that or a big 6 :D

I think I had my Ford Fiesta the longest out of everything.

I asked for a cost of change to the quickly depreciating black E92 M3 in Duffy's.... I'm still waiting on a call back.

If you want a nice 335i gimme a call ;)

Saw that tyre insurance thing in Duffy's a while back actually, didn't ask about it though.

I asked for a cost of change to the quickly depreciating black E92 M3 in Duffy's.... I'm still waiting on a call back.

you would assume it is because they are feverently working out a deal that could work instead of the usual ****e service!

if they keep going on like that itll be cheerio soon enough :P

Not to be rude, but why would they do a deal like that? The M3 they have has more chance then selling than a 335 in the current climate. 335 is a nice, fast car, but if someone's going to spend money like that in this economy, they're going to go all the way.

For the record, I know of a garage that has 2 335 about a year now, and has sold 7 M3's in the mean time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The M3 they have has more chance then selling than a 335 in the current climate.

Interesting. I would have thought that a 4.0 V8 would frighten the life out of people in the best of times here, so how the hell are people going to want one when times are bad?

Obviously that's not the case though, which is very surprising tbh. A mixed blessing I suppose you could call it.

E92 wrote: »
    Interesting. I would have thought that a 4.0 V8 would frighten the life out of people in the best of times here, so how the hell are people going to want one when times are bad

I suppose it's the in for a penny, in for a pound mentality. I just know that this particular garage has had little or no interest in both 335s, despite them being absolutely packed to the gills with equipment, the M3 has been the more popular option. In the 3 Series family, the most popular models would be the 4 pot engines, then a 325, then the M3, then the 330 and 335 in that order.

• Advertisement

yeah that does make some sense,

thats why selling an e46 330 is harder than an m3, some people looking at a 330 will consider a 318 or 320 as its the very same car with a different engine, whereas if someone wants an m3 nothing else will really do.

that said id take an e92 335 myself :)

Advertisement