Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin care help

• 17-12-2008 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

i need advice on how to make my skin clear up.

i have acne and acne scars on my cheeks that won't clear up. there are red marks and scars on my cheeks that have been there for months. the acne constantly spreads so that when one scar heals another one forms, and i don't know what to do!

usually i wash my face with a facecloth morning & night but is this a bad idea? i use exfoliant face wash once a week. I tried some clearasil facewash but i broke out in an allergic reaction to it.

SO...how can i get rid of acne scars and have clear skin?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

I'm not a dermatoligist but did have an experience with acne when I was younger.
    I went to the doctor & was perscribed anti-biotics & creams to help clear it, the creams actually burnt my skin so I stopped using them immediately & I resorted to some older homeopathic remedies.

First one cleanse moring & evening with a really good gentle cleanser so as not to irritate the skin (I used clinque), then on any blemishes & spots dab some vitamin e oil (burst a vitimin e capsule & put the oil on some cotton wool) This seriously is a miracle worker on blemishes & spots. It also reduces scaring.
    Than lastly do not touch the skin- easier said than done I know but give yourself a chance to heal.
    Other great spot zappers are sudocreme or toothpaste! but I found both no use against bad acne breakouts for these stick to the above plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭EmerBaggott

I have scars around my lower cheek area and under my chin, which are there probably a year-2 yrs. They look like spots or the start of a break out but their just scarring. Has anyone used and good cream or lotion of some sort which they found good for such acne facial scarring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Just a suggestion, although I'm not sure how well it would work on acne, but I know it's work quite well on other scars - bio oil.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

There are some types of the pill that you can go on that help with acne, maybe ask your doctor about it next time you are having a checkup. Sometimes acne can be from a hormonal imbalance rather than skincare regime and diet, although obviously these are an important factor.

Stop using clearasil - it's awful stuff! I used it a few times when I was younger, it felt like it was burning a layer of skin off my face. Don't use a strong exfoliant if your skin is still very inflamed, as it can irritate, the gentler ones are better. I don't see any problem with using a facecloth, as long as it is clean - what cleanser do you use with it?

Vitamin E is a good recommendation. If you're going down the more natural skincare route, look for products with wheatgerm in them (great source of vitamin E), neroli is also very healing.

According to the bio oil website it seems to be safe for using on your face - and it's available in lots of places. A friend of mine has been using it for a while on a scar she has on her arm, she says she can see it fading, it might be worth checking out. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to be quite popular, I'm sure someone on boards has tried it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I think it would be worth visiting your G.P., My friend was prescribed
    the pill to clear up acne and it worked amazingly, There are so many treatments
    available your Dr. could help you make the most informed choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I also suggest a trip to your gp they can prescribe an anti-biotic cream or something stronger like roaccautane? (sp?) or Dianette (pill) specifically for acne.

Also I second staying well wide of clearasil, jesus that stuff is just horrific! As another poster says feels like burning your skin off.

Clinique didnt do much for my skin, I would recommend Dermalogica, it is much more gentle to skin and they have a very very mild exfoliant called "Microfoliant" and its like a fine powder its very good for sensitive skin, I use it and only need it about once a week, over exfoliating your face will do more harm than good.

Have also heard god stuff about the Dr. Haushka (sp?) range aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MaxCalgary2010

I just posted a reply there for another person.

Genuinelly try www.skinbiology.com for their products on acne scars.

They worked incredibly well for me and as far as I am concerned can regrow skin damage from acne scars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MaxCalgary2010

ice89 wrote: »
    i need advice on how to make my skin clear up.

i have acne and acne scars on my cheeks that won't clear up. there are red marks and scars on my cheeks that have been there for months. the acne constantly spreads so that when one scar heals another one forms, and i don't know what to do!

usually i wash my face with a facecloth morning & night but is this a bad idea? i use exfoliant face wash once a week. I tried some clearasil facewash but i broke out in an allergic reaction to it.

SO...how can i get rid of acne scars and have clear skin?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds as if you have acne and are suffering from scarring too.

Unfortunately in order to avoid scarring you need to deal with the issue of the acne itself first.

I had (what my dermatologist called) severe cystic acne. Basically acne all over my face,neck,chest, and all over my back, they would grow to horrible big cysts and leave terrible scarring. I was a very bad case. Anyway I tried every product out there until I went to my GP, he put me on a course of antibiotics, after 6 months there was no change, he then said I would have to look at Roaccutane.

Well I was on Roaccutane for 9 months and the fact is it cleared my acne 100% and have not had acne return in the past 5 years.

You would think from what I have said that I should be praising Roaccutane as a wonger drug, Im not however because it has some terrible side effects, for me anyway

1) Severe, incredibly severe depression

2) Suicidal thoughts

3) Panic attacks

4) Severe paranioa

5) Social exclusion

6) Severe mood swings

It also dries your skin out really bad so you will constantly have to moisturise 24/7

The thing to point out at this stage is these side effects do not happen to everyone,and some people will argue that these effects are brought on because the patient has bad ACNE and not because of the drug, however to the best of my knowledge Roaccutane is now banned in the USA because the producers "Roche" simply could not afford the amount of law suits brought against them by users of the drugs.

The big mistake I made was I had a terrible, urterly terrible dermatologist who prescirbed me this drug without warning me about the side effects so I basically jumped at the chance and went straight on the drug. At the end of the treatment he reffered me to a councillor he reffered all his Roaccutane patients to and it amazed me that he had a habbit of referring his patients to this councillor after the treatment but yet never warned me about the problems before going on it.

I was an extremely outgoing life and sould of the party young lad at 20/21 despite having shocking skin, this all changed when I went on this drug. Yes my skin got better and I no longer got acne but I was no longer able to interact with people without being nervous and constantly suffered from paranioa, esentially I lost a large peice of my personality because of this drug.

Im sorry to put a dampner on this but I just wanted to tell you my experience of using this drug incase any dermatologist gives you the same sort of advice I got and you end up taking the drug because they tell you to. And if you do go on the drug then have 3/4 week check ups with your doctor to talk to them about how you are feeling, and if you are starting to feel depressed in the sightest. My cousin's freind went on Roaccutane and killed himself after 5 months on the treatment so please please please ask your doctor/dermatologist about ALL SIDE EFFECTS before even considering it.

If you want clear skin Roaccutane will get you it but please weigh up the possible side effects.

Advertisement